90% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

79% Penny Dreadful: Season 1
84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

Rocky V Reviews

November 3, 2013
There is less boxing and more fighting but still I love it. I may be the only person to like this movie. Great performance by stallone as usual.
October 21, 2013
Contrary to popular belief,I actually found this to be an improvement over rocky IV. Sure it tries too hard at times to be smart, Rocky getting diagnosed with brain damage was a stupid plot point and the final fight is predictable as ever, but Rocky V has some great moments reminiscent of the 1976 original and is overall a good addiction to the series, even if it could have been improved a bit.
September 28, 2013
An uninspired and cliche-ridden installment that scrapes the bottom of the formulaic barrel.
September 15, 2013
Rocky is back, with touching fight and middle success of drama
September 15, 2012
I really don't agree with other people and the critics who say this movie is bad. I think the film has heart and emotion and it is acted well just like all the other Rocky movies. Sure it ain't as good as the other ones, but I thought this movie did a good job at trying to be.
muffin0681
June 15, 2012
I own this on DVD and Blu-Ray in a six movie pack along with:
* Rocky (1976)
* Rocky II (1979)
* Rocky III (1982)
* Rocky IV (1985)
* Rocky Balboa (2006)
August 5, 2013
Want to see a storied franchise crash and burn? Rocky V takes the series to new lows of lame comedy, cliches, and subplots nobody cares about. Right from the start, we can tell Stallone cares little about continuity by replacing the former actor playing his son with his real life son, who happens to look about 4 years older and completely different. We're then spoonfed lame story lines about Paulie losing all of Rocky's money and his son struggling with individuality. After seeing some legendary fights at the end of every Rocky movie, this one ends with a pointless street fight with his whiny former protege. Nothing connects, nothing entertains and nothing feels genuine. Rocky V really sucks, and it's a very good thing they decided not to end the franchise on such a dreary note.
Maineutral R.
June 9, 2013
Rocky tries the back to basics premise but here it doesn't work. On the other hand it tries the father and son premise and...it's a bit OK, but nothing is accomplished. Rocky V is like...a story in a film that should be anywere but Rocky, it just doesn't feel Rocky-ish. While there's something that makes it entertaining, the result feels empty and lacks any satisfaction. Easly the worst of the Rocky films.
July 20, 2013
I'll kind with this one and say I'd still rather watch this movie over the Dark Knight.. I'm not saying much about this movie by saying that..
July 16, 2013
It goes without saying: The worst in the series. Just one big "oops."
JAGTPlays
July 12, 2013
Although the most darkest and complex chapter in the saga, Rocky V, still watchable and entertaining and just barely underrated, nevertheless fails in develop itself correctly with several plot holes, tiring pacing, and feeling of an unfinished and non-continuation of the saga.
July 7, 2013
It's a complete stinker. Completely killed Rocky movies (except Rocky 6). Unneeded meatheaded garbage, stupid crap
July 10, 2007
Inventively bad, horribly casted and depressingly superficial.
KJ P

September 5, 2010
Ambitious to a point, "Rocky V" tries far too hard to create a human drama, rather than a triumphant boxing story, which is what this film series is meant to be like. This time, Rocky is done fighting once and for all, and once a newcomer thinks he is the best, he is trained by the world champion. Throughout the film, he wins the title, but is forced into dangerous times, agreeing to things he shouldn't and ending up in worse places than Rocky ever was. This is not a Rocky films, this is a spin-off that only works half of the time. It's not a good film in any way, but there are elements that I really admired. It's not as bad of a film as some people make it out to be, but it's middle of the road. I would never recommend it though.
June 16, 2013
(3 Stars) For a movie that's widely recognized as the poorest in the franchise, Rocky V isn't bad. It has some very dramatic moments that emulate from I and II and kind of has a bit of the craziness of III and IV in the hilariously evil Don King knockoff George Washington Duke (Richard Gant). It's an attempt to close the franchise on how it started, being more real. Burgess Meredith makes an appearance as Mickey in a tender flashback and even the original director John G. Avildsen returns.

I maintain that it's not bad, but even I can recognize that it deviates on why people love the films so much. Rocky doesn't train, he basically loses his home (he declines for most of the film rather than rise), and it ends in a street fight rather than in a ring. The way he loses his money is infuriating; Paulie (Burt Young) gives Rocky's power of attorney to a crooked accountant, who spends it all. He is forced into retirement after finding out he has brain damage. And he moves back to his old neighborhood where Rocky's son (Sage Stallone) gets beat up. Wow, this movie is pretty sad.

BUT there are still some very good dramatic elements and there are good ideas here. It's nowhere near Batman & Robin embarrassing, but I wish Rocky V could have been the conclusion everybody wanted... luckily, there's one more Rocky movie...
June 7, 2013
Stallone's fifth outing as the "underdog boxer from Philly" sees him return to his roots in Philadelphia after filing for bankruptcy, the film tries to make Rocky vulnerable again after a brutal fight with Ivan Drago in the previous installment, and he definitely plays more of a sympathetic character. However at the same time they give Rocky the role of mentor to Tommy "The Machine" Gunn (played by real-life boxer Tommy Morrison), making him look like a wise old man who wasn't wise enough to manage his bank books and has to resort to street fighting in the end of the movie to get closure. While Rocky seems to have acquired way too many character traits and responsibility over the years the magic of the first four films where he actually was the underdog have disappeared, and we're left with a character who has nothing left to do but feel sorry for himself and try to relive past glory by being at the side of the next big thing in his sport. While the end fight is pretty decent the background music takes the power from the scene.
June 4, 2013
Good God dude, give it up.
December 30, 2012
It's a bit tragic to watch the character that we once loved to throw in the towel in such a wretched and pitiful conclusion.
May 13, 2013
Good movie about family values, and a wonderful parody of Don King.