Role Models - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Role Models Reviews

½ May 24, 2015
Too much fun! Two men-children become big brothers to a fantasy geek and a foul-mouthed delinquent, and heartwarming hilarity ensues. The inside look at the LARP community and the integration of the KISS motif culminates in some great deadpan humor, victorious redemption, and of course, ye olde goofy Englishisms.
November 8, 2008
I can't imagine why I originally gave this 4 stars. It is pretty average.
½ November 10, 2008
Sean William Scott and Paul Rudd come together and produce a comical-bromantic-based story. With their costars shining as bright as the main stars, the film presents a funny atmosphere with the typical satirical feel. A clever script/plot bounded together with a joyous and hysterical hold. 4.5/5
May 20, 2012
Other than I have never liked the character Stifler whom Seann Scott plays in this movie (although he's called Wheeler here), the movie is pretty good. Two immature guys get to substitute community service for jail time. The community service involves mentoring two teens - and of course, it is not obvious who is benefiting the most - the adults or the kids.
½ March 20, 2012
Crude and sweet, Role Models is a very good modern American comedy, that works very well, not just for the nice screenplay (that looks have Apatow style), but especially for the terrific chemistry between the cast. Fresh.
Directors Cat
½ October 25, 2011
Paul Rudd and Sean William Scott get a chance to prove themselves as great comedians in a starring role for Role Models. One of the funniest comedies of 2008. Really crude, well acted and even at times, touching.
½ January 3, 2009
I really liked this its pretty funny stuff yet not childish. A brilliant first 30min of the film shows us Scott n Rudd in their crappy job, losing it and Rudd losing his patience with life haha its very funny in places, Rudd really shining.

The middle tends to run abit flat and you do loose some interest but all the dungeons n dragons role playing is really genius, keeps you highly amused and saves the film. Some of the cast in those scenes are the funniest ive seen for awhile, especially Ken Jeong as 'the king' and Joe Lo Truglio as 'Kuzzik'.

The films ends on a high with more great DnD games in the form of a battle royale, so stupid yet so very funny, I wanted to see more of that haha excellent comedy that took me by surprise.
cosmo313
July 13, 2011
This wasn't quite as awesome as I was hoping it would be, but it is nonetheless a very funny and quite solid film, even if it is rather predictable. I mean come on, any film that has major plot point involving Kiss and the world of LARPing deserves some credit. I'm not into LARPing and Kiss are just okay in my eyes, but still.

I felt, like many people I'm sure, that the real highlight here is the scene-stealer that is Bobb'e J. Thompson. Kids swearing is already inherently funny and and entertaining, but this kid just knocks it out of the park. This film is for him what Superbad was for his co-star Christopher Mintz-Plasse. Both are really good here, as are their adult counterparts played by Seann William Scott and Paul Rudd. I like both of those guys, and they both have good chemistry with one another and the kids. Matching Thompson for scene-stealingness is Jane Lynch-I don't watch or care about Glee, but I love that woman, and any film that features her automatically gets poitns in my book. I like Elizabeth Banks as well, even though she could have been used more.

There's plenty of other awesome people here, and, even though I only really had maybe one or two gut-busters of laughter, I was at least smiling for about 90% of the time. Plus, like I said, the nods to nerd and rock culture were well done.

Give this one a shot. It's rude, crude, and ridiculous, but it has tons of heart and is a great way to spend about 99 minutes of time.
January 22, 2009
Not a side splitting comedy by any means, but the scenario raises a few smiles and the kids make it
murphmann93
January 18, 2009
With a cast like this, you don't expect it to be anything but funny. My stomach was aching with laughter and it's a film you could watch again and again without fail. 'McLovin' makes most of this film.
½ August 27, 2009
After seeing the trailer I thought this would be a lot funnier. It's ok with a good cast, it does have a bit of a soppy ending, but there are some very funny scenes between the littles and the bigs!
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 5, 2011
Role Models is a very humourous film about two energy drink salesmen who have an accident and are forced to do community hours with a mentorship program. Role Models is an effective comedy with plenty of laughs, and the cast do a fine job at delivering good humour. The film is a fairly memorable one, and one you can definitely enjoy with friends. Tjr cast here are a very good bunch of comedy actors that have starred in plenty of other hilarious comedies, and it's very interesting to see them deliver here. They each bring something funny and original to the screen and you can't stop laughing. Role Models is a witty comedy and has many memorable moments. Paull Rudd and Sean William Scott are hilarious in this film and deliver something great on screen. This is one of Sean William Scott's best comedies and he brings on big laughs. It's funny to see Rudd and Scott's characters try to cope with program as they try to connect with their partners, but with often embarrassing and humourous results. Jane Lynch here gives a truly insanely funny performance as the head of the program. This comedy is almost perfect with few uneven points, but theres more laughs here to be had than bad times. Role Models is definitely a hilarious comedy worth seeing.
MANUGINO
March 3, 2009
They're about to get more than they plea-bargained for.

Saw it again!!! Very funny and with a good message but we all know this movie wasn't gonna be very good overall just funny but I liked it.

Danny Donahue (Paul Rudd) and Wheeler (Sean William Scott) are two Los Angeles salesmen for an energy drink, Minotaur. They tour Los Angeles-area schools driving a Minotaur-themed SUV to deliver infommercials disguised as anti-drug speeches. Wheeler loves the job but Danny, on the other hand, hates the job and possesses a constant negative attitude toward life, which results in the collapse of his relationship with his girlfriend, attorney Beth. Hoping to get his life back on track, Danny spontaneously proposes to her; not only does she turn him down, she breaks up with him. One day after making a disasterous sales presentation at a high school, the duo finds that their company truck is being towed away. They protest by trying to drive it away from the tow truck, but end up crashing it into a school statue.

Danny and Wheeler are arrested and the judge sentences the two to a 30-day jail sentence. Beth, however, manages to strike a deal with the judge in which they have to log 150 hours of community service over the next thirty days. The judge selects for their community service a big-brother style program called Sturdy Wings, led by Gayle Sweeny (Jane Lynch), an ex-drug addict, who takes an instant dislike to Danny and Wheeler. Aware that their presence at Sturdy Wings is court-ordered she warns them that she won't accept any B.S. from them and that if they fail to carry out their tasks to her satisfaction, she will have them sent to prison. Wheeler is paired up with Ronnie Shields, a foul-mouthed, streetwise miscreant obsessed with boobs who has driven away all the other adults he has been paired with, while Danny is paired up with Augie Farks, a nerdy teenager obsessed with live action fantasy role-playing games.

Initially, the pair find their task extremely difficult, with Danny unable to find any common ground with Augie and his narrow interests, and Ronnie taking virtually no interest in Wheeler. After a few days they gradually bond with their respective partners; Ronnie takes an interest in Wheeler's favorite band KISS and discovers that Wheeler shares his obsession with boobs, whilst Danny reluctantly participates in Augie's medieval live action role playing group, "LAIRE". During a Sturdy Wings camping trip, Wheeler uses Danny's Ambien to try to have drugged-out sex with another mentor who instead passes out naked in full view of the other children, Ronnie and Augie cover for their mentors. At the same time, Danny tries to make up with Beth for his mistakes, but to no avail.

Unfortunately, their success is cut short when Augie manages to "kill" the arrogant King (Ken Jeong) during one of the role playing games, the King lies and says he killed Augie first. When Danny angrily defends Augie, the King permanently bans them both, causing Augie to cry in front of everyone, including Esplen (Alexandra Stamler), who he has a crush on. Wanting to apologize to Augie, Danny goes to dinner at his house. Augie's mother, Lynette (Kerri Kenney), and her live-in boyfriend, Jim (Ken Marino) are glad Augie has been kicked out of LAIRE and thank Danny for helping that happen. Seeing how unhappy Augie, Danny criticizes Lynette's and Jim's parenting skills. Wheeler, meanwhile, takes Ronnie to an adult party in Venice and leaves him unsupervised while he has sex with a blonde he meets at the party. Feeling abandoned, Ronnie walks all the way home by himself.

Ronnie's and Augie's parents consequently ask Sturdy Wings to assign them new mentors and Gayle throws Wheeler and Danny out. As such, the pair is given a court appointment where they will likely have to serve their thirty days in jail. In the elevator, Danny berates Wheeler for leaving Ronnie behind while Wheeler scolds him about his whining. The two have a falling out and go their separate ways.

Wheeler goes to Ronnie's house and gets permission from Ronnie's mother to hang out with Ronnie after he gets out of jail. Meanwhile, Danny looks through his closet and finds the battle attire Augie had given him. Remorseful, he secretly meets with the LAIRE king to negotiate Augie's readmission where Augie can fight in that afternoon's Battle Royale, the final battle of the year. Danny then sneaks Augie out of his house so they can prepare for the Battle Royal that day but while Danny is visiting, Augie learns that the fantasy "nation" to which he belongs has expelled his LAIRE team. Danny offers to form a new team with him, but a team must have at least four members.

Danny calls Wheeler and asks him and Ronnie to join the battle so that Augie will have enough teammates. Dressed up as the members of KISS and riding in the Minotaur SUV, Danny, Augie, Ronnie and Wheeler arrive ready to fight in the Battle Royale as a new nation. Augie's parents, Ronnie's mom, Gayle, and Beth come to watch. Near the end of the battle, Augie squares off against the King and kills him in front of everyone. His victory is short-lived as a hidden player, Esplen a girl he likes, attacks and defeats him. Augie's parents, Lynette and Jim, congratulate Augie for his performance and recognize how happy he is when role-playing. In the after-battle party, Augie finally speaks to Esplen, who asks him to be her co-regent and the two kisses. Danny serenades Beth in front of everyone with an improvised version of the KISS song "Beth" and the two reconcile. Gayle, impressed with the pair's efforts, promises to intervene with the judge, with whom she has a long-standing relationship, so that Wheeler and Danny will be able to get their names cleared.
½ April 29, 2011
A decently funny movie with a nice plot. It seems like you can pair Rudd with anyone and it would make a nice match, in this case with Sean William Scott and Jane Lynch. A solid, and a little sappy, movie.
jamers2011
½ April 25, 2011
I actually liked this one alot. Not spectacular or anything, but it was hilarious, and different. It was also nice that the crude humor wasn't over the top. Good comedy film. I recommend it!
April 23, 2011
Love Ken Jeong. Ken's 4 life!!!
DreamExtractor
April 21, 2011
Very funny comedy. Paul Rudd and Seam William Scott were very funny. The plot was good, but I didn't enjoy them trying to sweet it up at the end. The characters were great and all very memorable. I really enjoyed this movie.
paul o.
January 15, 2011
"TASTE THE BEAST"
A silly comedy about 2 friends messing up and doing community service. Its great, simple, and hilarious. With some scenes that are just too funny, there are also some scenes where there are serious emotions. Overall, a great comedy for any role model to watch.
ajaymuthecooldevils
½ February 11, 2009
Well, I'm really surprised that a lot of people like this movie because I thought it wasn't that great... The idea was okay, two guys who should have 150 hour of social services instead of going to jail for 30 days and then they have a great relationship with the kid whom they should be a role model for, and the relationship changed their behavior... Paul Rudd and Seann William Scott gave an okay performance in this movie, at least now I know Hollywood have one of surprisingly funny actor named Paul Rudd... The other cast did good job, especially for Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Bobb'e J. Thompson... Yet the supporting from Elizabeth Banks, Jane Lynch, and Ken Jeong was like a sweeter for this movie, nothing special... Overall, it's a not bad comedy because it's funny even though I didn't like it that much...