67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Rolling Stones: Stones in Exile Reviews

blkbomb
blkbomb

June 20, 2011
"I just wanna drink from your loving cup." There was no way I wasn't going to like this at least a little bit. The Rolling Stones are my 2nd favorite band of all-time behind Hendrix. Stones in Exile is an interesting look at the making of Exile on Main St. With that said it isn't an amazing documentary. It's way to short and could have went a lot more in depth. If you are a Stones fan though, you won't regret giving this a watch. It is a pretty insightful look at how the Stones went about the making of their albums and does look a little bit into the excess in their lives.
Ping C

July 19, 2010
If you love Rock 'n Roll docs and you love the Stones, this film is a no-brainer. Watch, rinse, repeat.

FYI - this film is available through Netflix on demand. Which means, and not that I would recommend it, watching it on the 2nd screen on your computer at work. ;-)
Stephen M

May 30, 2010
Pretty decent documentary about the making of The Stones 1972 scuzzy masterpiece Exile on Main St. Even though the story is told in the band's own words, I somehow expected this film to be more revealing than it turned out to be. It begins promisingly enough with Charlie Watts and Mick Jagger visiting their old recording haunt, Olympic Studios in London, the comfortable workplace they were forced to leave behind when the British taxman pushed them out of the country. Once we move to the French Riviera, however, memories become, perhaps not unsurprisingly in some cases, rather hazy and selective. Disappointingly, we never get inside the gates of Villa Nellcôte, the 19th century mansion rented by Keith Richards in which most of the album was recorded. Frustratingly, although they contribute to film - Bill Wyman's insights are probably the most candid - we only get to see Wyman, Richards, Mick Taylor, and Anita Pallenberg in irritating, artsy glimpses. No mention is made of Gram Parsons, Richards' house guest at Villa Nellcôte until Pallenberg booted him out, although he can clearly be seen in a couple of archive photographs.
shawnmiller2
April 15, 2012
Liked it a lot, although that probably has a lot to do with how excellent the music was that came from the resultant album...good insights from the doc and there are even more crazy stories, if they are to be believed, out on the internet from this time in France...
Blind Pariah
February 5, 2011
An excellent recounting of the creation of the Exile on Main Street album that encapsulates an era gone past with the juxtaposition of excellent photographs and old video footage.

While one does not need to be a fan of the band, it obviously would help. Myself, I am more of a Hendrix guy, but I still appreciated this.

Inclusions of interviews with modern day entertainment figures were a detraction for me to the loss of one point scored. What the fuck is some guy from that shitbag Black Eyed Peas doing in this? I loathe that "band". At least the others are respectable musicians.
Faroeislander
September 26, 2010
Although this documentary was only an hour long, I actually had trouble keeping the interest throughout. It's not bad though, but it could've been better.
Coleman Albrite
July 22, 2010
its a very well done documentary but its only an hour long. feels too short but its great