20% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

Roman Holiday Reviews

Daniel P

July 9, 2010
No question that it's a classic, as Audrey Hepburn's debut and a fine example of the Do The Right Thing roles that Gregory Peck excelled in: family friendly with a few laughs and revolving around a one-day blossoming of an impossible love. Hepburn overacts a bit, and I could take or leave the supporting cast, but it's a charming relic that's worth seeing once, and features a Rome very different than the iconic city we saw in Italian post-war films.
Albert K

July 22, 2012
A light-hearted and innocent rom-com that set the bar for movies to come. With such an age, "Roman Holiday" should, by every right, be considered a conventional and cliche movie, but it surpasses due to its palpable and saturated chemistry and genuinely hilarious moments. You've got strong writing here, you got incredible performances, and you got ingeniously creative moments. How come the rom-coms that come out in 2012 is worse than a 1953 flick? I guess Hollywood never learns to adapt.
Saskia D

November 5, 2011
In a way this movie is about appreciating the small things in life and enjoying them with good company. Work to live, don't live to work. In Princess Anne's case, she doesn't have a choice, she was born into it.

Although the movie isn't a masterpiece, it's easy to understand why Audrey became a star after it. She has this natural way of acting,when she smiles the whole screen lights up.
Anthony L

June 14, 2011
Roman Holiday isn't without faults but each one of them is forgivable. This is a beautiful romance from a golden age of film making. Interestingly, this film led the way for film to be filmed on location rather than in the studio which makes it quite important in the history of cinema. Audrey Hepburn is a goddess, I never tire of watching her films. Rome and its people are also a big part of what makes this film great and I could watch it over and over and never get tired. Beautiful - and very funny too!
Luke B

February 10, 2011
Given the accolades this film has received I was certainly expecting more. Gregory Peck once commented that every romantic comedy script he received had the fingerprints of Cary Grant on it. This transcends into the film itself. Peck is a marvelous actor, no doubt, but he lacks the kind of quirky charm that oozes from Grant. Take for example the scene in which Peck tries to take a camera from a young girl. Sure, the characters intentions are pure, but Peck came off as rather suspect. The film as a whole was simply too involved in the romance, to the point that it was obvious the route it would travel along. Hepburn is fantastic in her innocence, and there are many great moments, but after watching some other classics recently, this failed to engross me for its entire duration.
Ken S

May 5, 2007
I'm going to get an endless amount of shite about this, but I wasn't impressed
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

February 1, 2010
Nowadays, when someone says "romantic comedy", names like Jennifer Lopez or Sandra Bullock pop into one's head, but most of these actresses owe a huge debt to Audrey Hepburn, whose radiant beauty and innocent charm led her to win the oscar. The story by Dalton Trumbo (who also won an oscar), is of a young princess who one day tires of her life of duty to her crown and runs away for a daylong holiday in Rome. Gregory Peck stars as an American journalist who looks to take advantage of the situation when the princess winds up in his life. When the two wind up falling in love, it's a little bit of a surprise, and the bittersweet ending has a touch of the european cinema about it. While the story might not be revolutionary, it is well told, and the relationship between the characters is very sweet. And funny, too. So many romantic comedies today fail in the humor department, but Roman Holiday is still actually pretty funny without talking down to the audience. Films like this live or die by the likeability of their leading actors. With Audrey Hepburn, they could've slapped just about anything up on the screen. It's just all the more wonderful that such a good movie goes along with the great performers.
TomBowler
TomBowler

January 28, 2010
Great debut for Audrey
ebs90
ebs90

September 17, 2009
I can't think of another word to describe Roman Holiday besides "charming". Everything from the Roman backgrounds to the melodramatic fight scene is shot in lush black and white, not only with great technical precision by William Wyler, but with elegance and even innocence. It's a film that can transmit pure joy and take you on an escapist ride with no guilt whatsoever, given the excellence throughout -from the art direction to the performances-. Most importantly, its story is told in such a cute and inventive way that you don't feel you've seen it before (as it often happens nowadays with romantic comedies). The highlight are the brilliant characterizations of Princess Ann (Audrey Hepburn) and Joe Bradley (Gregory Peck), the "undercover" reporter set to write a pricey exclusive interview with the Princess, without her knowing.
Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn absorb every scene. Their screen presence is something to behold, and also a source of nostalgia... I don't think it's easy to find performers with their level of distinction and their sort of transparent delivery. In their hands, the dialogue gains a great deal of fluidity and depth. They effortlessly and believably carry the film in all of its delicate mood changes, with its veiled irreverence, its wit, its drama, and its slapstick. However, this isn't just a performance-showcase film, everything about it is outstanding, and I could personally watch it a third time only for the wonderful exteriors, or for the intelligent screenplay.
William Wyler is more than happy to show the beautiful faces of the city and take his characters on wild, illegal drives across its streets. Italians are shown as friendly and warm people that the Princess and the journalist are more than happy to meet.
A sharp sense of humor, panoramic views of the buildings of Rome, music, and romance abound, but don't overshadow the fundamental sadness of the story: two people very keen on lying to each other fall in love, and then, because of their backgrounds, cannot remain together. All ends well but not too well, and such an unlikely episode ends in a rather realistic way. The film is ultimately satisfying and neither self-indulgent nor a crowd-pleaser, and that's one of the things that really sets it apart.
From Princess Ann's yearning for freedom to Joe's final sacrifice, Roman Holiday takes on some dense themes without it ever feeling heavy, and it's a film to be charmed by and enjoy. A classic, one of the films you simply have to watch at some point in your life.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

August 27, 2009
"Joe, we can't go running around town with a hot princess!"

A bored and sheltered princess escapes her guardians and falls in love with an American newsman in Rome.

REVIEW
With a very nice blend of fantasy and reality, and two very likable stars, Roman Holiday is both entertaining and thoughtful. Sometimes it is very funny, and at other times it makes you feel a great sympathy and warmth towards the characters. Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck are ideal in the leading roles, and the story is very clever in getting a lot of mileage out of a simple idea without pushing things too far, which makes it quite effective.

The idea of Princess Ann (Audrey) slipping away unnoticed and unrecognized for a day of fun and freedom from responsibility is of course fanciful, but it works for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is Peck's role as a pragmatic newsman. He is a good balance for Hepburn's charm and energy, remaining calm and logical without ever becoming cold or distant. You feel as if you could spend a lot more than a couple of hours in their company. And how could you improve on Eddie Albert's performance as Peck's photographer friend? The movie also adds in the atmosphere of Rome itself, with some creative scenes that make good use of the setting.

There are many fine moments in a story that at times seems almost like a daydream, and then it brings the characters back to reality in a moving way. It's not an easy combination to pull off, but here it all fits together very well, to make the kind of classic worth remembering, and one which you can watch and enjoy more than once.
Mark H

June 27, 2008
The standard by which all romantic comedies should be judged. Perfection.
rubystevens
rubystevens

April 28, 2008
the life of a princess is stressful! but audrey handles it with such charm and grace it's impossible not to love her :)
Cindy I

June 6, 2007
Pretty good movie -- Audrey Hepburn is rarely bad. Didn't end like I thought it would.
Jennifer X

May 28, 2007
it was such a nice RANDOM movie that capped off brilliantly. hepburn and peck make hollywood magic.
garyX
garyX

May 20, 2007
A slight but sweet piece of romantic fluff with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn making an adorable couple, but there's very little to it.
deano
deano

April 14, 2007
Audrey Hepburn is wonderfully performance in her first starring role of this white and black romantic comedy film.
Michael G

October 26, 2006
The chemistry between Peck and Hepburn is incredible and the movie is damn funny. Try and take your eyes off Hepburn. Just try it.
Rico Z

September 2, 2006
I cannot say enough good things about anything Audrey Hepburn is in. This movie is no exception to that. Roman Holiday is effervescent with charm, good writing, good acting, good directing, good costumes and great settings!

The story finds Princess Ann of Englandon a goodwill tour through Europe. Finally, while in Rome, she's had enough of her strict entourage and demanding schedule and decides to take to the streets in a display of defiance and sheer rebellion. Along the way, she meets dashing Gregory Peck who plays a hapless American journalist who could make a pretty penny off the story of the renegade princess.

What ensues is a comedic story that bubbles with giddiness and tender-hearted moments. Audrey Hepburn delivers a performance (her first in a major motion picture) that makes you think, "That girl deserved that Oscar!"

William Wyler's directing and cinematography are superb; as are Edith Head's costumes. Definitely, a must-see classic filled with tons of memorable moments that will call you to watch the movie over and over again!
Leigh R

August 25, 2006
Beautiful.
Jeremy S

March 28, 2006
My first oversaes trip was to Rome, Italy and no other film could capture the feeling of Rome, or indeed travel in general than Roman Holiday. So much is this film loved by myself and my family that it has practically become part of our personal history. No matter how I may be feeling Roman Holiday always puts a smile on my face and makes me cry. The breakout Oscar winning performance of Audrey Hepburn, one of my all time favourite actresses and the ideal leading man role of Gregory Peck truly make the film what it is. My favourite scene, by far is the Mouth of Truth visit where Peck actually improvised an unscripted moment when he pretended to have his hand eaten off, always makes me laugh."I don't know how to say goodbye. I can't think of any words. Don't try."