97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

Romancing the Stone Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

July 26, 2014
A woman goes to Colombia to rescue her sister who has been kidnapped by "bad guys."
Joan Wilder, Kathleen Turner's character, writes cliche adventure stories, then - shocking irony! - gets caught in a real-life adventure story with a fantasy-borne mercenary. Coincidences like this only occur in films like this, and the construction of the Wilder character is misogynistic, as she serves as a doe-eyed damsel in distress, never rising to anything about a screaming, high-pitched type, more annoying than remotely compelling.
But, you might say, Jim, it's a fantasy-comedy. Well, in that case, it's neither fantastical nor funny. Stuck in faux-realism, the crazy, over-wrought performances are more the matter of sitcom than film.
Overall, this film is stupid.
Phil H

August 27, 2012
Is there any film that Douglas stars in where he doesn't manage to show or reveal bits of his anatomy?...mainly his ass. An early Zemeckis film with a cast that would reunite a few times after but was it any good? yeeeaa no.

Made a few years after another certain popular fedora wearing adventurer you could be forgiven for thinking this was a poor mans rip of that franchise. Indeed the whole look of the film is similar but instead of hot yellow desert sands we have wet sweaty green jungle, plus its set in the present day of 84.

Personally I really can't see why this was a hit upon release. The plot is quite a mess with many people all running around after other people and a map, poor action sequences, uneventful twists and dull villains...if any.
I don't wanna mention 'Indy' but I just can't help it hehe. Douglas's character is decked out in virtually the same kind of gear and he has a silly macho type of name. Both him and Turner run around the jungle dodging snakes, soldiers, large ravines, crocodiles and drug runners doing pretty much what you would expect this type of film to offer albeit in a slightly more grown up fashion.

Douglas really isn't the right kind of leading man for this type of film, the guy always was so sleazy looking. Devito also struggles to inject anything into the film in my view despite clearly being stuck in it for comedy, the guy is not right for fast paced actions films. Overall the casting was horrible if you ask me, worst line up ever!.

Total hit and miss for me, really didn't like anything going on, found it dull and cliched. A typical mix of 'Indy' and 'Bond' yet adding nothing new or exciting to the fold. Had it come out before other films then it may have been a different story, oh and the films poster is way better than the actual film (common issue with some old 80's films).
Jens S

June 14, 2006
After Indiana Jones' triumph in the early 1980s, Hollywood realized there is money to make in adventure films about treasure hunts. This film is by no means a rip off of the archaeologist's adventures, but some elements are there. We have a wise-cracking daredevil adventurer, bantering with the female lead, a rope bridge, animals, jungle and of course a treasure map. Add a typical 1980s soundtrack and you have the generic action comedy from that era, but one that still entertains really well. The film doesn't take itself too seriously and counters a few surprisingly violent scenes with lots of humor and a couple of decent action sequences. It may feel like a guilty pleasure today, but for its time this was quite a spectacular film.
blkbomb
blkbomb

June 27, 2011
Ralph: Oh, oh I'm the creep, huh? Well at least I'm honest: I'm stealing this stone. I'm not trying to romance it out from under her.

Romancing is a decent movie that is really saved by Michael Douglas and Danny Devito. It's not Robert Zemeckis' best movie, but that's not to say it's bad. It's fun and for the most part entertaining, but since it's a comedy it could have been a lot funnier. Kathleen Turner was pretty boring in the lead role which really hurt the movie. Pretty predictable, but if you are a fan of Douglas it's worth a look.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

May 19, 2011
Romancing the bone. Always watch it at the beach, original review must have been deleted.
movieguru12
movieguru12

March 21, 2008
Kathleen Turner plays her role well as the damsel in distress & Michael Douglas is great as the guy who stays by her side. This is definitely one of my absolute favorite movies from the 80s :) I love it :) All time fave! :)
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A fun romantic adventure movie, I really liked it, Douglas and Turner are great together. An 80s classic!
erika250

December 21, 2009
Very funny and romantic.
Conner R

December 8, 2009
A complete waste of talent. There is no reason that this should be as bad as it is. With Robert Zemeckis and Michael Douglas, I would expect more than a lame rip off of Indiana Jones thrown in with romantic comedy. It is such a cheesy movie with a completely predictable plot and almost no originality.
mwilliams078
mwilliams078

September 13, 2008
Romancing the Stone from 1984 is a very good comedy starring Kathleen Turner, Michael Douglas, and Danny Devito...these three are soo funny teamed together.

A romance novelist (Turner) whom is use to the live of NYC and a hopeless romantic is thrown on a crazy trip to South America to rescue her sister. On the way she gets assistance by a handsome and big opportunist (Douglas). Togeher they set trail on a very long trip with many twists and turns along the way....such a good movie!
Ross C

December 29, 2007
A very 80s jungle adventure movie, that's a Christmas classic. Our lonely heroine heads to Columbia to save her kidnapped sister and meets the man of her dreams. Obviously cashed in on the popularity of Indiana Jones. The ending is truly awful.
Red L

March 12, 2008
I've seen this movie a few times. It is fine - nothing special. Kathleen survives well on some heel-hacked-off Italian shoes
Stephen M

December 27, 2007
There's nothing like bagging an Oscar for killing your talent and Robert Zemeckis, like Jonathan Demme before him, has never quite recovered from that success. For a time in the '80s he was Spielberg's only serious rival in the family-adventure-movie marketplace, and "Romancing the Stone", Zemeckis' answer to "Raiders of the Lost Ark", is every bit as good as Spielberg's template. I would put this as Zemeckis' second-best film, just behind the first "Back To the Future" movie. Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas are immensely likeable and give their all as the leads; she: a timid writer of trashy romances, unwittingly thrust into an adventure as improbably dangerous as one of her own; he: the selfish antithesis of her romantic hero, reluctantly dragged along for the ride. Only Alan Silvestri's score dates this otherwise timeless entertainment. A delight from start to finish.
Apeneck F

November 17, 2007
a great one! this guy zemeckis obviously loves the old movies and is not afraid to go for the gut feel of the classics! this is the guy spielberg wants to be...when he grows up!!!!
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 10, 2007
Like a more comedic, slower-paced and less exciting version of Indiana Jones. What still makes it worth watching though is neither the story or the action (which by the way felt a lot like bits and pieces from the A-Team), but the great chemistry between the lead actors.
Dean !

April 29, 2007
A good old school action adventure film with a bit of something for everyone.
garyX
garyX

March 13, 2007
Indiana Jones clone starring Michael Douglas (who still looked old even when he was young) that's an efficient enough swashbuckler, and Danny DeVito supplies some reasonably amusing comic relief. It's no Raiders however...
Jason S

February 26, 2007
A fun comedy adventure that spawned a second movie that was just as good.
sanjurosamurai