70% The Equalizer Sep 26

Romeo Must Die Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 28, 2011
Romeo Must Die is a mess of a martial arts film. This is not a film that will appeal to fans of the genre. The story didn't appeal to me whatsoever, and I felt it was boring, uninspired and not interesting. The cast here are terrible, I've never been a fan of Jet Li, and this film just makes me hate him more. Starring alongside him are other "actors" who can't actually act, but try to any way. This is a terrible cast for a terrible film, and it fits perfectly. Unlike the old school Bruce Lee which had elaborate plots and great acting, and kick ass martial arts; Romeo Must Die fails at everything except delivering "ass kicking" martial arts. Jet Li sucks, and he's no Bruce Lee. Romeo Must Die lacks any real drama, conflict or effective action to keep this film afloat. Despite the fact that this is an action film, I was pretty bored with it because the film was poorly done. I despised the cast, and I felt that they all destroyed the film. Romeo Must Die is a sloppy film that has poorly executed action scenes. Romeo Must Die is not a good Martial Arts film. I'm going to stick with Bruce Lee as the undisputed master of martial arts and of the genre itself. At least his films involved elaborate, well developed plots and had awesome action. But this, this has some action, but marred with poor acting, and poor plot, which in the end, makes this film fail disastrously. I don't like Jet Li, I find him irritating and a bad actor, but at times he does cool stuff on-screen. However, I feel his martial arts aren't up to par with Bruce Lee, and no that is not why this film sucks. The film because the acting is awful, the plot is bad and the direction of the overall film is terrible. It's no wonder that this film has made it into the Bargain bin for 5$.
Al S

June 24, 2011
An ultra-cool and stylish action-thriller with great visuals and stunning fight sequences. Jet Li packs plenty of punch and Aaliyah packs plenty of heart.
Richard C

July 28, 2010
wierd and boring. C
Bobby H

August 20, 2008
Romeo must die is a typical hip hop generation action flick, but it's a good one.

Tons of insane action, nice special effects, and a great unpredictable storyline. Had the storyline and turn out of the movie not of been so good - I probably would not of gave this movie as high of a rating as it's typical to a lot of action movies, but it's storyline will catch you off gaurd and you'll become drawn in by this great martial-arts action packed movie with a little romance on the side.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 3, 2008
I liked it, has little lasting value however but initially it was what I thought it was going to be. Jet Li needs to stay in Chinese.
Wildaly M

January 15, 2008
Not a bad effort from Li and Aaliyah. Didn't really care much about the plot. But then again this isn't a movie where you can get both action and good plot plus good performance from the actors. That's just asking for too much.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 14, 2007
Good action film.
Dean !

June 24, 2007
A good action film with plenty of fights, shoot-outs between rival gangs and those caught up in between.
garyX
garyX

March 21, 2007
Bog standard Hollywood vehicle for an asian action star that shows the usual lack of imagination and flair you'd expect from a studio unwilling to gamble on an actor unknown to the great unwashed. Jet Li is watchable as ever though.
Michael S

March 4, 2007
Decent action movie.
deano
deano

February 27, 2007
Shakespeare with kung fu? This is the mostly amazing action of Jet Li's debut US Joel Silver-produced martial arts fest takes its cues from William Shakespeare's crossed lovers and adds lots of CG enchanted fight scenes.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 11, 2007
one of the bad jet li flicks
kpn666
kpn666

June 30, 2006
Modern day infusion of martial arts into the black west side culture works well - great soundtrack in this movie - and funny moments by Anthony Anderson!!
Steven V

April 13, 2007
The movie is very good. It had a good story, some love, a little gangster action and karate action.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

October 11, 2009
Jet Li is a terrific athlete and martial arts expert, specialising in Wushu. He plays Hon, a Chinese man who escapes from a prison in Hong Kong. Li goes to America to find out who had killed his little brother and gets caught up in a racial war between the Chinese and Black Americans. All the fight scenes are inventive and crisply executed. I enjoyed the music, cinematography, motorcycle and car chases, smart & funny gags thrown in along with budding romance between him and Aaliyah (who tragically died in a plane crash the year after this film was released) That X-ray thing was also very cool.

Recommended for Jet Li fans of Martial Art Movie lovers!!
Curt C

April 21, 2006
The action scenes are nice, and ... what the? Where did all this chemistry between Jet Li and Aaliyah come from?
Marcus W

October 25, 2007
VERY loosely based on Romeo and Juliet, this film about warring families (blacks and chinese) still has a lot going for it. The plot is interesting and keeps you guessing, plus there's some great action (marred by silly wirework and some godawful x-ray shots). And Lindo is just cool. It's a tad predictable as everytime Li gets into a "situation" you know there's going to be lots of jumping and kicking before he inevitably wins, but it's still worth a watch.
EnigmaticHallucination
April 30, 2009
Typical early American Jet Li flick. He plays the mysterious eastern guy with a past that is trying to be the hero and get the girl. Nothing special and some of the things seen here are seen later in a couple of his other films. Decent comedy with no new plot devices but the important thing is the martial arts. They are fun to watch and will keep you amused for an hour and a half.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

December 8, 2008
Not only are Jackie's Hong Kong movies better than Jet's, but his American ones are too.
alanjayh