• Room 237

41% Working the Engels: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Room 237 Reviews

July 24, 2014
One of the most frustrating movies I have ever seen, both from the point of view as someone listening to these people's theories and as a filmgoer watching a movie in front of him.
closedmouth
July 24, 2014
I really enjoyed this. It's an entertaining beautifully edited little essay on the merits and shortcomings of obsessive over-analysis. The stuff about the geography of the Overlook is really cool, though I think Ascher wasted too much time on the Moon-landing stuff (which really could have been left out to be honest), and the "playing it backwards and forwards at the same time" thing, which is really dumb considering the whole movie is done in centre-of-frame compositions which (spoiler alert) sometimes line up.
July 15, 2014
While a competent documentary and occasionally interesting, most of the runtime is spent on critics and filmmakers who clunkily force metaphors and interpretations on Kubrick's film. I wouldn't have a problem with it if so many of them weren't as arrogant as they come off, suggesting that no interpretation is as great as theirs, and no cinefile is as intelligent as them.
nickless y.
July 15, 2014
I'm a fan of Stanley Kubrick but these men in this documentary is obsessed some of the determinations is exaggerated but some of them is acceptable and agreeable. Also you can find most of them on the web. If you are a fan of Kubrick it's worth to check it out
Joshua H.
June 24, 2014
Pretty interesting movie, pointed out a lot of stuff I didn't notice when I watched the shining. Some of the theories are interesting, but others feel like a major stretch.
July 3, 2014
If you love Stanley Kubrick and/or The Shining, you'll enjoy this documentary about the many (conspiracy?) theories that surround this masterpiece of cinema from 1980. Some of the theories presented in the documentary are downright frustrating, and remind me that I am in wayyyy over my head if I really wanted to be a film critic/analyst. It took me back to the days of high school English classes in which every little literary symbol is beaten to death as a possible reference to a Freudian nightmare. But overall, even my frustration came from a place of entertainment, and some of the theories I found quite enjoyable. My favorite one claims that the original moon landing shown on TV was actually a fake, directed by Stanley Kubrick himself. It refers to several instances in The Shining that support this conclusion. While some are far-fetched, I want to believe!
July 3, 2014
A few interesting points are made, but they're drowned out by the ramblings of raving lunatics who obviously recorded themselves at home.
June 29, 2014
A quite impressive documentary based on some (subjective) interpretations of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining.
October 3, 2013
Watch and listen to a bunch of movie nerds pick apart the Kubrick film, The Shining. :)
May 25, 2014
Whether the observations are profound or ridiculous, I'm not entirely sure but it remains interesting nonetheless.
June 23, 2014
I remember watching Kubrick's The Shining for the first time, at the Ventura Majestic theater, up on the big screen, nearly 35 years ago. I have watched it again, many times since then, and I continue to enjoy it to this day. There is no doubt, however, that that first screening, decades ago, left me absolutely terrified, haunted even to this day. It is a masterpieces of the mind, a film that fleshes out sheer terror, manipulating the audience in quiet, subliminal ways, leaving us wondering what the hell just happened. There is no doubt, that Stanley Kubrick, was a film-making genius, and so, if you are a fan of his adaptation The Shining, much like me, then you may enjoy Room 237. Admittedly, some of the interpretations presented here, as to the films themes, subliminal messages, and undertones...are pretty far out, if not completely insane. But, each argument presented is compelling, provoking, engrossing...And ultimately, entertaining, in a nerdy, over-the-top, Shining junkie, sort of way. Any way you slice it, this film left me celebrating Kubrick, realizing this film truly is a masterpiece, and wanting to rent it and watch it again, and again, and again.
May 27, 2014
Ridiculous but still interesting
March 28, 2013
Great insight and theories about The Shining.
June 13, 2014
I'm not entirely sure if this documentary was meant to empower the more often than not ludicrous analyses of the interviewees, or if it was meant as a joke to tell people; "seriously, let it go already."
I'm sticking with the latter option, which makes Room 237 the ultimate in-joke.
June 2, 2014
Some theories are such a stretch they're almost instantly dismissible, however there's such joy in watching scenes from such a brilliant movie broken down over and over.
Marcus W

June 1, 2014
Either people are reading way too much into The Shining, or Kubrick was a genius. Unmissable.
May 17, 2014
Room 237 voa diante de todas as nuances de uma mente jamais entendida, pouco se importando se todas suas teorias se encaixam como um grupo, ou apenas únicas, apenas importando que absolutamente todas elas estão lá.
Em uma época em que o cinema real expande, mas seus gênios sucumbem, Room 237 é uma perfeita certeza de que Stanley Kubrick será eternamente insubstituível, e que seu "The Shining" é seu e de mais ninguém.
May 15, 2014
Inelegant in the way it assembles all this stuff ... but anyone who's ever obsessed over the subtext of a beloved movie will find it amusing.
May 13, 2014
A review of the hidden messages in The Shinning. Maybe the director did do this, to convey the feeling on uneasyness to the viewer.
August 10, 2013
It's impossible to rate this film. It's no more than a bunch of Kubrick enthusiasts talking about their (over)interpretation of The Shining, with mainly silly theories and a few astute observations, and a laughably random 80s soundtrack - yes at the same time, it's utterly fascinating. Low on production value and, if you're somewhat of a movie geek, high on entertainment value. So, 2 and 4 stars respectively, averaging out at 3 stars, plus the added 0.5 star bonus for being simply awesome.