• PG, 1 hr. 47 min.

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Roxanne Reviews

September 8, 2014
Adaptation moderne et comique de Cyrano de Bergerac par Steve Martin et Fred Schepisi, Roxanne est une comédie parfois touchante, souvent drôle, avec une galerie de personnages hauts en couleurs et des performances d'acteur plutôt réjouissantes. En effet, Steve Martin (dont le nez absurdement long se fait très vite oublier) et Rick Rossovich ont une très bonne alchimie, pareil pour Martin et Daryl Hannah. Pourtant, Roxanne souffre d'un ventre mou à la limite du rédhibitoire, avec des longueurs terribles quand il s'agit de faire avancer l'intrigue et donc d'arrêter les scènes à but comique. C'est dommage car quelques passages sont dantesques.
September 5, 2013
Martin's rom-com is spirited with hilarity and being wonderful and kind-hearted. (A-)

(Full review coming soon)
August 4, 2014
Roxanne is undoubtedly cheesy, but Steve Martin's script has some very witty lines and it deviates from the typical romantic comedy just enough to be called original.
April 14, 2014
One of my favorite rom-coms, mainly because it's equal parts romantic and funny.
April 3, 2014
As a comedy, it's not very funny, but as a romantic film it's pretty endearing.
August 15, 2013
Silly and fun. A wonderful romantic comedy.
muffin0681
June 20, 2013
I own this on DVD in a three movie pack along with:
* L.A. Story (1991)
* Mixed Nuts (1994)
December 15, 2013
With this film, Steve Martin became a king of the romantic comedy, not only as a leading man but also as screenwriter. In this film, in fact, he adapts a play that was itself inspired by the Cyrano of Bergerac, where the big nosed leading character is too embarrassed to show his feelings and uses his words to conquer the one he loves. A charming and heart warming romantic setting. The film in fact can be wonderful on an emotional level but is also genuinely funny - there is one scene in particular where he unleashes a joke about his big nose one after the other that has become particularly well known, while the firefighters in the movie recall the slapstick antics of the Keystone Cops.
M Z.
November 15, 2013
Brilliant acting ( Steve Martin! , Rick Rossovich), very witty, well done, even though story is very simple, yet all the set, characters, dialogs make it a very cool film.
October 24, 2008
Why do I care? I can't think of a reason. All I was impressed by was that Martin adapted Cyrano de Bergerac, much less finished it. By no means attrocious if uninteresting.
December 3, 2011
This one cracks me up. Comedy gold.
July 4, 2013
A clever and funny modern take on the story of Cyrano de Bergerac. A great performance by Steve Martin. Just a good old silly/corny romantic comedy from the 80's.
June 5, 2013
With our buddy Max Alexander
April 17, 2013
At the height of his success, Steve Martin took Edmond Rostand's 1897 play Cyrano de Bergerac, and updated it to 80's America, he also personally chose Australian director Fred Schepisi (Barbarosa (1982), A Cry In The Dark (1988) and The Russia House (1990)) to bring it to the screen. It's a very sweet and very funny film, with Martin at his best, and it displays his talents as a screenwriter as well, which he puts to good use here. In the mountain town of Nelson, fire chief C.D. Bales (Martin) is a witty and intelligent man, who is also endowed with a very big nose. He would have it altered, but cannot due to a dangerous allergy to anesthetics, but his mood changes when astronomer Roxanne Kowalski (Daryl Hannah) comes to town to search the skies for a comet. C.D. falls in love with her, but she ends up falling for fireman Chris McConnell (Rick Rossovich), who has just joined C.D.'s team, but Chris also has affections for Roxanne, but is too shy to tell her so, so he get's C.D. to write love letters to Roxanne, in an attempt to win her over, and the plan works, to a point. It's a film which still works now, and it shows how clever Martin is as a writer, it's got a good cast and a memorable scene where C.D. is able to tell 20 big nose jokes as a bet, it has a fantastical quality about it, but it manages to be a sweet and uplifting love story as well.
April 2, 2013
I remember watching this when a long time ago. funny
February 24, 2013
I really enjoyed this as a kid. And it made me want to read Cyrano De Bergarac.
June 11, 2007
classic 80s film,one of steve martin's best even if it is not as zany as the jerk
still so funny
a fave film of mine
December 29, 2012
One of my fav's of Steve Martin! Very Very Funny!
December 13, 2011
it was a good movie but I don't want on DVD, Steve Martin was ok but not his best film, it was an ok movie but could have been better, it starred Daryl Hannah and Shelley Duvall (The Shining)
December 7, 2012
Provides many laughs and leaves you in stitches. In 1987, almost a hundred years after its first production, the romantic story of Cyrano de Bergerac found new life in a winsome film written by Steve Martin.