Rubin and Ed Reviews

September 6, 2010
A brilliantly wacky movie. I absolutely love it. Crispin plays a charmingly weird guy you can't help but love, and he's so funny too. The whole movie is full of zany comedy. One of my favourite movies of the 90s, I highly recommend it.
½ March 25, 2008
This definitely fits in with the zany comedy trend of the late 80s to early 90s, but it's not hard to see why it's unknown. It really is strange and odd through and through, and whereas someone like me embraced that aspect, the general public may dismiss it as stupid. Stupid is quite far from what this film is, I would say brilliant. The humor is just so odd and genius and it also says alot about human nature. It's really sad that this hasn't seen a DVD release yet, or at least if it has it's out of print. I demand a special edition with commentary!
½ November 2, 2011
Can your cat eat a whole watermelon? Well Rubin's can, Rubin and Ed was a surreal experience, but not too surreal. Crispin Glover plays Rubin a weirdo shut in who keeps his dead cat frozen in the fridge until he can bury him. Howard Hesseman plays Ed, a man struggling to find success that seems to escape him at every turn. Ed convinces Rubin to come to a seminar with him, but Rubin won't go until he buries his cat...in the middle of the desert. The film was funny, not hilarious but I chuckled the whole time I watched.
Trent Harris was the wonderful director and writer of the film. He kept the movie going at a good pace. Using special effects when need and using props to their utmost. The story never missed a beat in making me smile and laugh. The sets and locations were great. The characters start off a little remote, especially Rubin, but as the film goes along you really start to like them, even rooting for them. When the soundtrack came into play, it helped to enhance the experience.
The only real downside that I found was Rubin is a little too weird. I'm sure they did this to enhance his characters unusual personality, but even I was taken aback at times. In all I recommend the movie for fans of zaniness, for everyone else...if you can find this film rent it. If only to say you watched a rare movie that was worth stumbling upon.
August 12, 2007
Another where I really can't say why I liked it so much, but I did. It's especially good if your cat can eat a whole watermellon.
May 20, 2007
This is seriously way more odd than napoleon dynamite but it's a classic as far as I'm concerned. Hilarious...
October 6, 2014
Ed, a horrible but devoted salesman in a cult-like real estate sales "Organization," agrees to help shut-in Rubin bury his dead cat in hopes of getting him to attend a recruiting seminar. Howard Hessman and Crispin Glover are great in this sharply-written, sadly-overlooked comedy gem.
September 25, 2013
Funniest movie I have ever seen! I love it! Both actors are superb!
½ May 5, 2012
I rented this movie so much the video store eventually gave it to me! Love this movie!
January 30, 2012
One of my favorites of all time
½ June 5, 2011
Maybe it's because I was born in the mid-eighties and my formative years were spent in front of a Sony Trinitron with rabbit ears... something about Crispin Glover movies fills me comforting nostalgia, while chuckling with childlike innocence at his innocent eccentricities. Rubin and Ed is a simple film, it doesn't ask much from the viewer other than to just sit back, turn down their thoughts, and join the echo people. My favorite exchange in the film would be be Ed's reaction to Rubin guffawing uncontrollably at graffiti reading "ANDY WARHOL SUCKS A BIG ONE." Ed explains, "That isn't funny. Andy Warhol is a successful artist." When Rubin then calls him a fraud, Ed says, "That's absurd - he's famous. You should never talk about art, religion or politics. No wonder you don't have any friends." "At least I'm not a fraud like you," Rubin counters. The choice of Warhol for this joke was no arbitrary one.
April 15, 2011
I have no idea what the deal is with this movie.
February 22, 2011
Funny movie... Quote: My Cat can eat a whole watermelon. .
ayn
April 1, 2010
hard to find... but definitely worth it if you are a fan of glover's spoken word and/or music releases. quirky, kitschy and fun... above all: WEIRD.