—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

Ruby in Paradise Reviews

DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

July 9, 2011
One of the best evocations of smalltown living, capturing the mundane emptiness and the yearning for more from life. Ashley Judd is really great in this as Ruby trying to find a way to break free from her retail sales & trailer park existence.
jam233
July 21, 2009
Ashley Judd does a remarkable job and is totally convincing as Ruby. It's a touching and realistic movie, simple and poignant. Well photographed, very perceptive direction. Wonderful.
Luke W.
April 12, 2011
A realistic portrayal of a down-on-her-luck young woman trying to keep her head above water. The acting is well done and the Florida backdrop is nice, but I didn't feel that the plot went anywhere.
Zeppo1
October 25, 2007
**** (out of four)

Ashley Judd's finest role is also her first major part in this Sundance hit.

She plays a young woman who leaves her problems in Tennessee and moves to a small beachside community on the Florida coast. There she opens a tourist shop and tries to start anew.

Thoughtful and memorable.
jazza923
June 11, 2005
roxie blues
November 16, 2004
[FONT=Tahoma]I don't really know where to begin on this movie. It starts out with Ruby (Ashley Judd) driving along. She stops in this small town, and we never really get why she took off. We get hints but never a full story. She makes one friend, a girl from her new job, but other than that she writes in her journal and we get to hear what she writes. I honestly thought this girl was going to kill herself at the end of the movie. She mentioned a couple of times "getting it over with" and she seemed very unhappy. I wondered if maybe the dullness and slow pace of the movie might have been done intentionally, to give the audience a feel of how Ruby felt. That is good if it was, but if not....

Some parts were good, like when she wasn't sitting alone in her little house being miserable. But it just kept going back to that. Dorothy Lyman plays the Ruby's boss, and it was hard for me to see her in a role other than Naomi from Mama's Family, but I think she did a good job. Ashley did a good job too, and she looks about 14 in this film.[/FONT]
inddirect_Dorc
October 3, 2004
[u][b]Eye of the Beholder[/b][/u]
I saw this movie on TNT several summers ago during one long uneventful evening. I have not been able to get this film out of my head.
There were several holes but I did not care Ashley has the ability distract a viewer and her vulnerability made me more concerned for her well being, or her character's.
Having Ewan Mc Gregor as her co-star may have helped?:p
The movie took some interesting turns, 90210's Jason Priestly stood out in one scene, seriously!

[b][u]Ruby in Paradise[/u][/b]
Was on Trio recently so I dodged my heaping homework to watch this, and it was interesting.
I think I enjoyed Todd Field who portrayed a sweet guy, but he reminded me of some of the guys that i have become friends with...friends not dates-so I could see where this movie was headed.;)
But Ashley portrayed some depth to her female character unlike what I have seen on the screen from other actresses!