67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Rumor of War Reviews

Ann L.
March 16, 2010
A RUMOR OF WAR

The 106 minute version on VHS leaves a lot to be desired, but that is what was conveniently available to me. I didn't care for the movie especially and I did not find it to be compelling, perhaps because too much of the story had been cut out and it did not do justice to the serious issues involved. All the same this is a highly personal perspective of the US involvement in the early months of the Vietnam conflict as of 1964-1965 after Congress had signed the Tonkin Bay Resolution, although the United States had not actually declared war. The story is based upon the experience of Lieutenant Philip Caputo, as recounted in his Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, who is revisiting the situation in flashback throughout the movie as he prepares his legal defense against court martial.

The account is a coming-of-age drama in which a naive, idealistic young man eager to leave home and go out on his own after college joins the Marines and goes through Officer's Candidate School. Once assigned overseas, however, things don't go exactly as he expected them to proceed. He makes some bad judgment decisions which lead to his being arrested for murdering two Vietnamese civilians. Apparently under the accumulated stress and strain of command in the field on front-line maneuvers over the course of many months, Lt. Caputo had suffered a mental breakdown which was left untreated and which is why he became confused and acted inappropriately, and this seems quite plausible as presented. The film includes disturbing scenes of violent combat and guerilla tactics. Realistic special effects. Good performances.