93% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Run Lola Run (Lola rennt) Reviews

luccav78
July 8, 2014
The fact that the protagonists are criminals, and in a way bad people makes the movie more enthralling and believable. An incredible choice of soundtrack is used in this film as well, not to mention great acting.
Mike N.
July 2, 2014
original, fun to watch, well filmed, and good music for the movie.
June 27, 2014
Run Lola Run [Germany, 1998] A clean and offbeat film that's never boring. 8/10
May 29, 2014
Run Lola Run made me want to run, and turn my television off. This action drama story is about a young woman by the name of Lola who receives a call from her boyfriend Manni. Lola takes the calls, she screams so loud with frustration things begin to break, this may suggests she is an outcast and different from what the "norm" is told to be. He is in some sort of trouble and has lost 100,000 marks. There is only twenty minutes to recover this lost fortune before he has to meet with his criminal boss. Lola tells her boyfriend to wait for her, and frantically throws the phone. The intensity is obvious. And then Lola runs.... without hesitation Lola runs to the bank her father works. Lola never stops, the streets of Berlin are busy, life around is moving, and Lola keeps moving. This man who Lola calls "Papa" refuses her money. She exits the bank and continues to run. During the course of her desperation and the twenty minutes coming near an end, Lola will face many obstacles. She must find a way to save her love and fix the issue with the lost money.
This is where the story begins, and just when the viewer's believe the long, loud, busy movie comes to an end, it happens again. A different twist of events will happen, and then again. This movie has excellent music if you like loud raving techno; it ran parallel with the event taking place. The editing was just as busy, the motion of slides cut at a rapid pace, defining the twenty minute allotment to collect the money. If you like to see a hundred different pictures at once, I can see how those who created the movie do this technique and why, it demonstrates the stress Lola is under, her mind is racing, she is racing, the movie keeps pace with the movement. The camera did clever work, but the motive with duplicating was confusing. The story line lacked detail, and even when the scenes changed, what was about to occur was totally predictable. Many movies allow a build up for some the audience to connect with the casting characters. This movie did not offer choice. Like it or leave it!
Using a five star rating scale, I give Run Lola Run a 2. The acting was terrible and the actors lacked personality, however Lola did define the energy. The film accurately showed motion and the lighting was good. There were elements of the quality of the film that were present, for this I did not offer a one. As any foreign film viewing, reading the subtitles with so much commotion really takes away from the enjoyment of watching.
ayron.
May 29, 2014
Run Lola Run is a very exciting film that delivers an interesting message without compromising its entertainment value. Franka Potente really suits her character, it would be hard to imagine anyone else playing Lola. The music is great, the film is shot fantastically, and the animation sequences work really well surprisingly enough. Overall, this a very original film, both in terms of style and narrative, and I would recommend it to nearly anyone.
May 23, 2014
I can't help but think this would have been a much better short film had they taken out all of the unnecessary bits, such as replaying exactly what we've already seen twice.
January 16, 2010
An 80 minute German film with the kinetic, hyperactive style of a pop music video. Taking place in real time, the movie's premise involves a fire red-haired woman, Lola (Franka Potente), who has twenty minutes to come up with 100,000 Deutschmarks to save her boyfriend, Manni (Moritz Bleibtreu). These events are told in three segments with different outcomes. Lola runs from her apartment to meet Manni at a phone booth and we see the various ways she comes up with the money in each segment. Director Tom Tykwer incorporates extensive use of the split screen while using color, black & white, animation, and a techno beat soundtrack that gives "Run Lola Run" a manic pulse. This is clearly a triumph of style over substance. The story may not add up to much but the pacing and energy give "Run Lola Run" a vitality that feels like a shot of adrenaline. In German with English subtitles.
May 17, 2014
This is an amazing film, I remember when I first saw it in theatres it blew me away, it's like an adrenaline shot to the heart. I was glad to see that it still holds-up perfectly. Love this film, a MUST watch in my opinion!
May 16, 2014
Tom Tykwer's kinetic thriller is visually inventive, but three variations on the same simple 20 minute story feels like a redundant gimmick.
Michael H.
March 24, 2010
Not as complex as I recalled, but that's not a bad thing. This is a little gem of a movie which tells its tale with economy and verve.
May 9, 2014
I love this movie. It is full of great visuals and fantastic action.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

January 10, 2008
Lola has twenty minutes to find a way to get 100,000 Deutschmarks to her boyfriend across town before he gets whacked. Problem is, she's broke, but fortunately, she gets a couple do-overs. Experimental but accessible, Lola schemes (and runs) nonstop through this frenetic thriller/drama; breathers are for subplots and flashbacks. She's going to need a new sports bra when this is all over.
Wazzuprg
March 25, 2014
A fast paced thriller with an cool style of editing that gives it a frenetic feeling. A pretty simple story but it's the original execution that makes the movie much more exciting and surreal. Along with the techno soundtrack, the camera moves and the quick flashbacks, this is a fascinating film with a great visual experience that is also highly entertaining.
March 17, 2014
Clever,Fun,Awesome Film
March 17, 2014
Run Lola Run is quite an adrenalin shot, with its pumping soundtrack and fast pace, and it manages to explore philosophical mysteries without being overlong or boring.
March 13, 2014
Run Lola Run is a kinetic spiral of alternate scenarios, pulse-pounding music, interesting relationships, and very sympathetic performances.
February 21, 2014
Run Loa Run is an insane film by one of Germany's most interesting directors. But despite it's madness, it still is a wonderful film.
Four Star Film Fan
February 27, 2013
Run Lola Run is an adrenaline rush in every sense of the word with its music, editing, and furious pace. It did for modern German film what Breathless did for the French New Wave. It is extremely difficult to try and categorize it but the best I can do is call it a kind of hybrid of Rashomon and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Really it it a completely separate entity.
March 29, 2013
Ugly, confusing, and lacking an sort of rhyme or reason, Run Lola Run is loved by many, but I have no love for this awful mess of a film
January 15, 2014
One of the most inventive film is have seen in recent years. This is highly entertaining, fun &beautifully shot. A great action thriller film with a very interesting concept. Awesome.