The Running Man Reviews

July 31, 2015
O ano é 2019. No estado fascista que a América tornou-se, Ben Richards (Arnold Schwarzenegger) é um piloto de helicóptero da Polícia Federal. Uma noite, durante uma patrulha de rotina, ele recebe ordens de acabar com o motim de mulheres e crianças desarmadas em busca de alimento. Quando Ben se recusa a obedecer, alguém assume o comando da aeronave e faz o trabalho. O estado coloca a culpa em Ben, que se torna conhecido como '' o açougueiro infame de Bakersfield, '' e manda-o para a prisão. The Running Man tem os modos e as engenhocas de um filme de aventura sci-fi, mas no fundo é um purê de ritmo acelerado e pouco cativante.
July 26, 2015
I've got to admit, I didn't know what to expect with this specific installment in Arnold's filmography, but I did like it. Let's go over the pros and cons.

Pros.
The actors do a pretty decent job with what they have, Arnold has some very good and very well timed one-liners in The Running Man, "Family Feud", "Hogan's Heroes", and "Match Game" alumni Richard Dawson actually is one of the most entertaining villains in any of Schwarzenegger's movies, and this was Dawson's only major film role. Arnold and Dawson played off each other very well. The evil game show host vs. the honest badass contestant (also keep in mind, Arnold was on Chuck Barris's "The Dating Game", so this is not his first "game show" appearance). My favorite is when Arnold tells Dawson, "I'll be back!" only for the guy to counter with, "Only in a rerun." Also, where else will you get to see Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse Ventura trade blows?
I liked the 80's music for nostalgic reasons (this will sound odd, but it's because it reminds me of my early years and the music from the Sonic the Hedgehog series on the Genesis).
The action sequences are a lot of fun. This is one of those movies where Arnold Schwarzenegger gets to be a pretty nasty guy and kill the Stalkers after him in rather unpleasant ways.
And overall, it was a fun ride while it lasted.

Cons.
I think outside of the interactions between Arnold Schwarzenegger and Richard Dawson, the story and characters are weak. There really isn't any chemistry between Schwarzenegger and Maria Conchita Alonso, and the end kiss between them is completely cliché for action movies, considering they have NO romantic interactions at all throughout the movie (she's his hostage in the first act, and a comrade runner in the third act. Not good material for a love interest). I did since some buddy-buddy relationships between Arnold and the two redshirts that are dropped into the game with him, but it's still not strong. And I couldn't really care for how Arnold was framed for the mass murder at the beginning of the movie or for the fascist world The Running Man took place in.
While the scenes in the game studio and in each of the fighting arenas was entertaining, the lead-up to each of these scenes is slow. It's called The Running Man, not the Walking And Talking Man. The waits should have been good places to set up suspense like in a horror movie, but there is as much deadly suspense in The Running Man as there would be in a "Winnie The Pooh" short. For an Arnold Schwarzenegger film, that's just no good.
I DID say I liked the music for nostalgic reasons, but said music isn't memorable.
And I think the game zone was too dark and not varied enough. I know the 80's had a thing with dark settings and bright lights, but it gets old.

Conclusion.
Overall, I think The Running Man is an okay movie, and worth renting at least once if you're a game show or Arnold Schwarzenegger fan, but it's not his greatest work. Still, I had a good time watching this, and I may revisit it at some point. We'll see.
½ July 19, 2015
Richard Dawson is the Best.
July 15, 2015
This movie predicted reality TV and they did it better! Why is it called survivor when no one ever dies? Oh yeah.... did you ever want to see two governors get in a fist fight? I do/did and "spoiler alert" The Body fights The Terminator!
September 9, 2007
Tagline: A game nobody survives. But Schwarzenegger has yet to play.

The Running Man is one hell of an entertaining movie. Made in a very dated style with biting satire, its campy and action-packed, and it works.

The satire is right on with our love of reality television, even echoing the Price is Right. It definitely differs from the source material by Stephen King (as Richard Bachmann), but it manages to make the best with what it has.

Written by Commando screenwriter Steven E. DeSouza, The Running Man is guilty pleasure movie that blends science fiction, corny one-liners, and a whole lot of bravado. I consider The Running Man an action movie classic.
½ July 11, 2015
Cheesy in a way that only the 80s can give us with the action scenes and one-liners but was lots of fun.
July 6, 2015
This is my favorite movie
½ July 3, 2015
Terrible acting, and not even in a nostalgic sort of way, embarrassing costumes and sets, and an ending that makes no freakin sense....oh and did I mention that there has to be at least 30 minutes of random dancers in those weird 80's aerobics outfits. They legitimately get more screen time than most of the characters. This is just a joke. Decent concept and it makes me interested in the book since it feels like Hunger Games meets V for Vendetta, but in no way worth anyone's time. There's a Russian opera singer gladiator who runs around in a diaper wearing a Light Bright, trying to kill people with his electric power suit....which sounds so ridiculous it should be awesome, but it gets REALLY lame really fast.
June 30, 2015
great old-school movie!!!
½ October 15, 2011
Featuring Schwarzenegger in his prime, the Running man does not have the lasting appeal of a Total Recall or a Predator despite a similarly intriguing plot. Perhaps the Arnold-centredness of it is to blame or the overt desire to push a satirical point about television while revelling in the same type of mindlessness that the movie seems to be making digs at (before this became cool in postmodern actioners like Kick ass). Nonetheless it is a competent 80s stock action movie with a spandex clad, anglo-named austrian spouting stupid one liners as gimmicky villains get offed in superlative MDK scenes. Good in my book.
June 3, 2015
its a great 80's arnold schwarzengger movie
June 2, 2015
Goofy and formulaic but still one hell of an entertaining film.
May 25, 2015
É uma brincadeira de arcade-game feito com imaginação.
É o ano de 2017. "The Running Man" é um jogo mortal ninguém jamais sobreviveu. Mas ..... mas Schwarzenegger ainda tem que jogar.
Bom Filme dos anos 80. 2017 é daqui a 2 anos o pode da TV será que vai ser desta forma..talvez não mas a manipulação e o controle dos povos essa está no filme.
½ May 22, 2015
"The Running Man" is basically a movie consisting of several Arnold's past quotes like "I'll be back" and so forth. The rush storyline and stupid characters make this 80's action movie laughable and ridiculous. It felt low budget too. I'm sure all B films are like that, but this goes too far. I had a great time laughing at the absurdity of it all, but this is just plain stupid.
½ May 21, 2015
The action setpieces are a bit of a letdown. But witnessing Arnold during his prime is at the very least entertaining. Other than the governator, The Running Man offers a great deal of 80's sillyness interspersed with some wry satire. I had a blast.
½ January 2, 2010
When people consider the career of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the films that get put up on the top shelf are generally The Terminator (1 and 2), Predator and Total Recall. Also highly regarded are True Lies and even Commando gets a fair amount of good will thrown towards it, if only jokingly. However, The Running Man seems to be considered by many to be one of Schwarzenegger's lesser films from his golden age.
However, I feel it's worthy of much more recognition than it gets.

The film deals with a number of issues. There is corruption, mass media saturation, control and manipulation of the population, censorship, private corporations controlling the military and the government, the dangers of technology, violence on TV, social inequality, the gap between rich and poor and of course reality TV. The film manages to include all of these elements, make comment on them, yet the film packages itself purely as a dumb action film. That is a great achievement, as the plot is never bogged down and the film moves at a great pace.

The film was originally going to star Christopher Reeve and was to be more based on the book written by Stephen King. But when Reeve left the project (to go and make Street Smart and Superman IV), Schwarzenegger was brought on board and the film was rewritten to suit Arnold's acting and character. However, what resulted was an Arnie film with some serious subplots and undertones that had been thoroughly fleshed out to suit a film starring an actor of Reeve's ability. The merger of the two is fantastic.
The idea of reality TV having a life or death game show seemed far fetched once upon a time, but as time goes on, it doesn't seem quite as far fetched. With the way reality TV works now, and how easily the media in todays world manipulates society, it is easier to image the world embracing this concept, if the world fell into chaos and disarray. The live 24 hour coverage of modern warfare only adds to this theory.

Schwarzenegger is fantastic in the role as Ben Richards. He has some great one liners, delivered with a really tasty layer of thick cheese that only Schwarzenegger could deliver without blinking. He is in his prime physically, but this role has little need for him to get his shirt off and look tough. Most of the film he is dressed in a bright yellow one piece leotard, in which he manages to still look menacing. Arnold knows the balance between humour and action but also works well against the other cast members.
He is joined by Maria Conchita Alonso, who later appeared in Predator 2, a film Schwarzenegger turned down. As Amber, she begins the film as part of the media machine, working as a composer for the network, which the Running Man is made by. It is somewhat convenient that she has moved into Richard's brother's apartment, just when he has broken out of prison. At first she is terrified by Richards, but she still maintains strength and gives Richards some sass as he tries to intimidate her. She retains this character well throughout the film, appearing attractive and feminie, but tough and not just a damsel in distress when she too is thrown into the game zone. Her character represents the oppressed society she is part of. She is tough and independent, but the tough and strict police state that society has become, means she must fall into line and behave in order to maintain any sort of life. But her feistiness fights its way through, and eventually leads her to question what is really going on, and that's when she ends up in trouble.

A most underrated performance comes from Richard Dawson, who ironically, was known as a game show host, as in real life, he hosted Family Feud throughout the 1980's. I was quite shocked when I discovered this as an adult, having seen him only in The Running Man since I was little, and then suddenly seeing him on YouTube hosting a real game show. As Killian, he is a ruthless, cold hearted, manipulative bastard, who can be really charming on camera, but very nasty off camera. He is brilliant in the role and holds his own against Schwarzenegger, despite being so physically tiny in comparison. He has amazing energy for the role, and his performance in the game show scenes (which are extensive), really makes it feel like this is a game show that has been on the air for a long time. It doesn't feel made up for the film, and his interactions with the audience are priceless.

But the game show is the real star. It's a fascinating concept. The stalkers are all very colourful, over the top and very entertaining. Buzzsaw represents middle America, with his big accent and his big chainsaw as he rides around on his big motorbike. The film even uses him to throw in a scene displaying celebrity worship. When Buzzsaw arrives at the studio, an excited fan pushes through the crowd and ends up in his way. Buzzsaw smashing him in the face, causing a nasty injury, yet the fan is simply exhilarated by the fact that he was touched by Buzzsaw, and is delighted despite the blood pouring from his face.
Sub Zero is also a favourite of mine, using another one of America's favourite past times, Ice Hockey, to attack the runners.
But of course, Jessie Ventura, in his second film with Arnie, having also starred brilliantly in Predator, is great as Captain Freedom, and it's a shame that he was underused as he provides great moments in every scene he is in.

The film has dated somewhat with its effects and its look, but the 1980's view of the future has a look that is unique to the period. The sets are great, and I really love the tunnel sequences as the runners are hurled into the game zone. There is great tension as the runners try to figure out how to safely navigate through the zone and the film manages to create a number of effective jump scares, whilst providing great action scenes. The cast clearly have fun, and whilst the film plays a lot of its moments very straight, it manages to keep things just light enough, with its tongue nicely poised near its cheek for any moment that it needs to put it in there.
The film clearly influenced films such as The Hunger Games (as did Battle Royal) and whilst the film in no way resembles the book it was based on, it took a number of great themes from the book and made a delightful sandwich with many layers that blend together nicely.
½ May 14, 2015
Hard to believe I haven't seen this until now. Classic 80's Arnold takes part in a pre-Battle Royale(pre-pre Hunger Games) type of event and it's filled with cheesy quips and funny, over the top kills. Plus Jim Brown as one of the bad guys, hah.. it's entertaining I'll give you that, but not up to par with Commando, Terminator or Predator(but better than Conan).
April 27, 2015
I enjoyed this. Decent effects. Good story. Cheesy Schwarzenegger one liners. It's all good.