"Rush Hour 3" to Rush Into Production

Looks like it's finally a done deal: Director Brett Ratner, screenwriter Jeff Nathanson, and stars Jackie Chan & Chris Tucker are all locked in for "Rush Hour 3," which New Line hopes to shoot later this year in preparation for a summer '07 release date.

Says Variety: "New Line signed Chris Tucker, Jackie Chan, director Brett Ratner and screenwriter Jeff Nathanson last fall to reunite for the sequel. It had the option to greenlight the pic by this week, triggering pay-or-play deals for the helmer and two stars.

Tucker will earn $20 million against 20% of gross along with a second-picture commitment for the same salary on a film to be determined later. Chan will get around $15 million against 15% of gross and own distribution rights in China and Hong Kong.

"Rush Hour 3" will be set in Paris, where Tucker and Chan's characters will battle a wing of the Chinese organized crime family, the Triads."

----

Chris Tucker's entire filmography over the past eight years: "Rush Hour" (1998) and "Rush Hour 2" (2001).

Comments

sokiveta.com

Michael Sokiveta

[b]$20 Million, seriously?[/b]
Originally, the Hollywood exec's threw this movie back into Chris Tucker's face for wanting too much control over the film.

I imagine Chris Tucker withdrew his demands after the growing stack of unpaid bills piled up and overwhelmed the otherwise out-of-work actor. Poor Chris probably had to sell his Bentley and move back in with his parents.

Oh, but good news Chris, you can buy that Bentley back and pay off your debts with your new money.

But how did Chris Tucker land a deal that paid him more than Jackie Chan?!? I mean, Jackie Chan is one of the most decorated actors in the history of movies, and Chris Tucker ... well, I think those guys in the Sonic commercials have had more screen time than Chris as this point.

May 4 - 06:40 AM

mizzoucritic

Sean Ludwig

I'm in complete agreement sokiveta. This is absurd. Maybe they are docking Chan's pay to give him those distribution rights?

May 4 - 07:38 AM

mizzoucritic

Sean Ludwig

May 4 - 07:38 AM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

[b]I guess its because of this...[/b]
the international pull and draw of Rush Hour is huge, that is why the movie is such a big deal, in the US I think Rush hour is a hit and a decent flick, but I think the studio is counting on the international number, thats my take on all this silliness.

May 4 - 09:05 AM

aconline

Adam Collins

[b]10 Movies[/b]
Mr. Tucker has a whole 10 movies to his filmography. TEN!! Who does he think he is? He hasn't made a movie since Rush Hour 2. That was in 2001. Before that, his last movie was, RUSH HOUR in 1998. He needs to pull his head out of his ass and take a role other than that of James Carter. Maybe if he did, and it did well, his demands may have some justification. If no one watches his other movie, then he needs to beg Ratner to make a Rush Hour movie every year. Last movie, I think Chan gave Tucker some of his money to do the movie. But I could be wrong.

May 4 - 12:40 PM

supermanofsteel

Fgear hrsert

[b]Chan probably could have had more money if he want[/b]
Back when they were still disputing over whether or not to do the next movie, Chan said in an interview that Tucker was asking for more money and encouraged Jackie to do the same. He declined saying he didn't want more money, he just wanted to do the movie.

May 4 - 01:15 PM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

Lee: You must take me to see Consul Han right away.
Carter: Man, just sit down and shut up! This ain't no democracy.
Lee: Yes, it is.
Carter: No, it ain't. This is the United States of James Carter. I'm the president, I'm the emperor, I'm the king. I'm Michael Jackson, you Tito. Your ass belongs to me.

May 4 - 01:38 PM

ICP

Isaac Prevost

Good. 1 & 2 were both very entertaining.

May 4 - 03:40 PM

elziard

elzeard bouffier

chan gets asian distribution rights. that's worth more than the $5 million more for this film that tucker is getting.
they both made out.

May 4 - 04:30 PM

sokiveta.com

Michael Sokiveta

[b]A comment about the movie[/b]
I like the character of James Carter, he has some great lines.

I really liked Rush Hour 1, but Rush Hour 2 made Jackie Chan's character out to be someone different. Let me explain.

In Rush Hour 1, Jackie Chan played Chief Inspector Lee -- kick-butt, no-nonsense, best of the best. However, in Rush Hour 2, they made him out to be this semi-competent policeman who is always in trouble with his superiors and a little afraid of his enemies.

One of the taglines of Rush Hour 1 was ?China?s best meets L.A.?s worst.? From the opening scene, I got the impression that Chief Inspector Lee was in charge of everything over there. He answered to the councilman directly. And then in Rush Hour 2, I swear there was a scene where Lee?s boss yells, ?Jetson!? and Jackie Chan runs up and says, ?Yes Mr. Spacely?!?

May 4 - 05:01 PM

The Senhman

Senh Duong

[b]According to Jackie Chan's Officiial Site...[/b]
He said that the numbers were off. He's actually getting $20M, not $15M.

May 4 - 05:03 PM

getomans

jon smith

cant wait for rush hour 3, should have been coming out this year if Chris Tucker didn't hold out for so long.

May 6 - 01:09 PM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies