Exclusive: Rush Hour 3's Brett Ratner and Chris Tucker On Oscars, Democrats, and Critics

Summary

Brett Ratner and Chris Tucker sat down with Rotten Tomatoes for a brief interview on their Rush Hour 3 press tour; the talked about the joys of popcorn cinema, the future of the Democratic Party, Tucker's plans for a standup documentary, and Ratner's Hugh Hefner biopic. And when will Ratner make his "important film"? Back to Article

Comments

rgallitan

robin thompson

----------

BR: ... He's a role model and he's got a responsibility to be informed and have an opinion.

CT: You know -- whoever lowers taxes and leaves rich people alone.

BR: See?!

----------

Nice. I don't know if he's still funny on-screen, but he's definitely funny off-screen.

Aug 7 - 06:08 PM

Thundaar

Paul Fairbrother

hmm. Probably best if these two to stay out of politics, IMO.

Aug 7 - 06:11 PM

rmobbs

First Last

It's just so laughable. They made fun of Americans in the movie because it sells to other smug, ultra-liberal people in this country, and of course sells great abroad. I love how these people are always telling us these obvious things as if they've just discovered some great wisdom: some people don't like our country! We're seen as violent! And so on. Thanks for the notice - maybe you should show some character and stand up for your country, rather than bag on it to try to seem world-wise.

Oh, wait, I'm talking about Brett Ratner and Chris Tucker ... two multi-millionaires ... who make crap action/comedy movies. Nevermind. Carry on.

Aug 7 - 06:38 PM

slow like honey

Angela Bruno

Okay, people who talk like that are just as annoying as the people you're complaining about. Its really not that serious, relax.

Aug 8 - 08:32 AM

lavatory love machine

juan carlos petruchi

"I want people to see my movies. My talent, my sensibilities are what people want to see in the movies."

talent is not needed to make a good cop buddy comedy-action, you just need to have some experience in moevies a good scrypt and good, appealing actors, and some basic idea about directing a film (film school level)

in others words, you have no talent, or maybe you have it but you've never use it yet

Aug 7 - 06:50 PM

bobdebicker

Ben DeVictor

i lose respect for anyone who can actually see john edwards as our president. sorry chris, i'll still see ur movies tho.

Aug 7 - 07:47 PM

kfarschman

Kurt Farschman

"I think it's much harder to make a movie like Rush Hour, a huge buddy action movie, than it is to make a pretentious art film." -- Brett Ratner

How is it harder to make a paint by numbers super cliche movie with old played out jokes that have been done better in other movies that created the "buddy action movie" sub-genre?

Seriously Brett, I'd like to know. The fact he says "pretentious art film" pretty much is like saying he doesn't like them. I guess movies that actually risk anything and try to have any kind of originality and aren't designed just to make money with the littlest effort aren't his thing.

Also does he mean pretentious like pretentiously putting your name in front of a title of a film??

Aug 7 - 08:37 PM

Callpacas

Khim Lo

well...when you compare films like LOTR and Matrix to art -films...of course its harder to make a big - budget film that appeal to the masses than a small, insignificant, unrefined art film. If your disagree on this, why criticize them when art film will continuously be made.

Most art film are boring anyways. Name 10 that at least satisfies ( not entertains ) you.

Aug 7 - 09:39 PM

TomasSPAGHetti

Ben Tomassetti

Great, my opinion of these two was lowered... a feat i thought was impossible.

Aug 7 - 08:42 PM

Callpacas

Khim Lo

Aug 7 - 09:39 PM

JpPrewitt789

joe fish

Most of you guys are missing the point though. This site is basically 100% critics, so naturally everyone here hates him. He's making these movies for bored teenagers who want to have a few laughs or see a few explosions over summer when they have too much time on their hands. He doesn't care what the tomatometer is.

Aug 7 - 10:07 PM

nalindra

nalindra ferdinando

I don't care what anyone says I always enjoyes rush hour movies,the action was believable not all special effects and there's singing dancing and of course crazy comedies.So I'll watch this one and I have a feeling I'll enjoy it too.

Aug 7 - 10:12 PM

AcE!

Chris Livesay

I agree. Hes not a bad director just because he makes films that appeal more to people who just want a fun time at the movies. With that mindset he probably will never make a fantastic film, but sometimes its nice to have a movie thats just some good laughs and an overall fun time. Some movie buff will probably respond to me calling me an idiot and that these movies arent a fun time at the theater but in reality sometimes I like a movie that just lets me sit back and enjoy some humor without having to think about great characters and storyline. I think about that with most movies but I take into consideration what rush hour is trying to be and then watch it with the idea that they never tried to put in a deep storyline, these movies entertain me and I dont see what is so bad about that.

What I dont like is how he said he could direct a fantastic epic film...meh thats what xmen 3 was SUPPOSED to be but he failed. Ratner needs to put his money where his mouth is, and hopefully he wont spend every cent of that money on Special Effects. God I hate it when people brag about the ability to do something without actually having accomplished it first.

Aug 7 - 10:24 PM

Metafact

Jane Holt

I think he's lying about Bryan Singer. Who could possibly hate the director of The Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil? When I first heard that he was directing X-Men, I was stoked.

Question: Why do all these directors who helm moronic movies like Brett Ratner, Uwe Boll, and Michael Bay always act so high and mighty all the time?

Aug 7 - 10:41 PM

Bardego

Robert Hamer

Oh, really? Then why do so many buddy action/comedies keep getting churned out by Hollywood studios every year and "pretentious art films" (read: good, thoughtful films) come around so rarely?

Brett, seriously, get off your pedestal and shut the hell up.

Aug 7 - 10:52 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

i hate bruce ratner and i'm starting to hate singer for tryin gto help him

out. hey, byran we neber hated you as much as ratner and you until recently never given

us a reason too. but after delivering not a great superman movie, but certainly good,

and now those comments on how to handle X-MEN 3 and subsequentially, what has happened

to the x-men franchise thanks to k=his decision to leave it, boy does Singer have the

weight of the world on him for his superman sequel. Oh, I wonder how the democrats

feel now that they have a "great" man like bruce ratner and "funny" man like cris tucker

on their side to support hillary? i know the republicans hope they join Ben Assfleck,

Sean Penn and Barbra Streisand and all the other lovable celebrity democrats who

help john kerry save this country... oh wait i forget it didn't help because everyone

hates these annoying jerks thinking they can enforce their supposed superior opinions

over us the little people. i swear someone kill RAT-ner before he costs the democrats

again. don't worry i'll handle Assffleck. And sorry to tucker but when you basically

you've made a career out of bad jokes and acting that helped Rat-ner, well i'm sorry

you lose my respect. and please make another movie in five or seven years because trust

me no one needs your bad act as long as we have your superior looklike, the legendary

funny Brooklynite Chris Rock. And don't worry i still love Jackie Chan because the man

is a legendary actor slash martial artist without the help of that damned bastard Ratner

As we all know from his end credit sog from his hilarious cartoon, Jackie Chan

Adventures, "Chan is the man!"

Aug 7 - 10:58 PM

ZiGyStRdUsT

Carlos Monino

Only reason Rush Hour is a success is because Chan the Man is in it.

Aug 8 - 12:04 AM

AcE!

Chris Livesay

I must say that is partly true. He adds to tuckers performance a whole lot, tucker couldnt carry the movie on his own. The best jokes and scenes were about Lee in my opinion.

Aug 8 - 12:45 AM

Dinalfos 2

Rohan B

Damn, these people are seriously high on themselves....

That said, Tucker is a cool guy.

Aug 8 - 01:51 AM

Typhoon20

Tyrone Jackson

So basically he doesn't make movies for nerds, hmmmmkay.

Aug 8 - 03:19 AM

Canuck666

suzie smith

Why are they making another sequel? Chris Tucker is old and tired and poor Jackie Chan looks like he needs a walker just to get around. If they have to continue this series why not get two new actors? It could be a prequel, like Dumb and Dumberer was to Dumb and Dumber and at the end of the movie they could have their memories erased, that would solve the problem of them not recognizing each other in the first Rush Hour. Since they would be younger versions they could get Will Smith and William Hung.

Aug 8 - 03:43 AM

AcE!

Chris Livesay

uhh no. Chan and Tucker the only way this movie would sell. Without them its just not rush hour its lame cop buddy movie with rush hour slapped on top. Granted thats kind of what the actual movies are but I dont think it would sell nearly as well without the name recognition of chan and tucker, and as well all know the box office is the only thing the studio cares about and apparently from this interview the director as well.

Aug 8 - 05:42 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday