Rushmore - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rushmore Reviews

March 7, 2012
Looking back, Wes Anderson's 'Rushmore' is full of some kind of youthful exuberance that is lost in his later films. It's not as tightly wound as any other Anderson film (except Bottle Rocket), but that's not a point of detriment. All of the characters are grappling with loss, yet their melancholy is hidden under a thin veneer of comedy, delivered perfectly by Schwartzman and Murray. It's a wonderful film that appeals to the eccentric youth in all of us.
½ December 29, 2010
An adorable and refreshing comedy that works so well due to the captivating performances by Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray, while proving to be very well directed and relying on this unique, quirky sense of humor that is part of Wes Anderson's trademark style.
April 19, 2012
This is an off-kilter, but good movie. The unique screenplay's quirky/fast-paced humor, along with Murray and Schwartzman's performance, really carries this film. Other than those two aspects, however, there is not much else to this movie.
½ June 14, 2006
Director Wes Anderson suddenly appeared on the map with this absurd, quirky and unusual story of an eccentric teenager who finds himself in love with a teacher and his adult mentor (Bill Murray) who is starting to date said teacher. Like with his later films, you either love his sense of humor or you're wondering what it's all about. The acting is top notch. Once Murray and Schwartzman wage war for the love of lovely Olivia William's character things are particularly funny. The highlights of the film are Max' theater plays that show the same trademarks that make Anderson films such highlights in today's often dull and uniform comedy genre: they are full of details, love and a really odd sense of humor.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 25, 2007
this is the sort of film that i grow fonder of over time. its the little nuances that do it for me, things you dont notice the first time around but are quirky and hilarious the more you think about them. many of my fellow wes anderson fans love this film, and while i like it i dont place it as high as many of his others, but the film is inventive and max's "play" scenes really put the film in unique standing. overall great comedy.
½ March 1, 2012
I had never seen a Wes Anderson movie....until now. Surprised by how much I enjoyed this.
FilmFanatik
April 22, 2007
One can hardly find anything to complain about while watching the work of Wes Anderson, but most people do for some reason. I don't know what it is that they're expecting. The man is practically a new-age Stanley Kubrick mixed with a bit of Howard Hawks and Frank Capra. Even though Rushmore wasn't his first film, it did bring him to prominence. It's not my favorite film of his (I scarcely say I have a favorite at this point because I enjoy everything he does), but I can't deny how entertaining and interesting it is. It also brought newcomer Jason Schwartzman into view, as well as giving Bill Murray the chance to stretch as an actor. It's funny, touching and often times subtly bombastic (a difficult thing to explain), but it's solid and entertaining. I can't ask for anything more from Wes Anderson, and he delivers to me every single time.
½ January 18, 2012
Funny in an offbeat,quirky way, but also an extremely mature coming-of-age story. Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray enjoy some of their finest hours in Wes Anderson's humorous Graduate-inspired tale.
½ January 1, 2012
Being a big fan, I can't believe it took me this long to come around and see Anderson's Rushmore.

Dreaming big and aiming high is a dangerous business but when things go awry it's important to land on one's feet. Coming of age films with teen protagonists seem to be a dime a dozen but obviously not when put in Wes's hands.

Nothing in this film works off of cliches or stereotypes, in fact, you would probably say it's over-the-top-zany. What makes it a truly great film though, is that it's all relentlessly grounded by authentic emotion.

Great cast/characters, romance, off-beat humor and resolutions; to me, probably one of Anderson's more rounded accessible works.
paul o.
December 29, 2011
Bill Murray is such a hipster. This film brought out the best of the actor's dry humor in this delightful story of friendship and school supremacy. The acting is great and the story is hilarious. Wes Anderson brings out one of his best with the introduction of the prestigious Rushmore Academy!
TheDudeLebowski65
December 15, 2011
Rushmore for me was a good film, but it's not as phenomenal as every critic has claimed it to be. The film has a good story with a good cast headed by Jesse Scwartzman, Bill Murray and Olivia Williams. This film is quite zany, and director Wes Anderson who has a tendency to direct comedies in this style, does a good job here. Rushmore is a good, comedy/drama film. The cast deliver here, and Anderson's plot is well developed and engaging. If you're going into this film expecting a laugh riot, you'll be disappointed. The film is funny, but it is offbeat humor, and it is not for everyone. The film is charming and has some good offbeat comedic moments. Wes Anderson has made a fun little film with Rushmore and if you enjoy a quirky, zany comedy with colorful characters, this is your film. I enjoyed the film, and thought the cast was great, and that the plot was very well developed and constantly engaging. There is enough to enjoy about this film that you can forgive its imperfections. Overall this is good entertainment, and it has something that everyone can enjoy. Rushmore is refreshing and is very different than most comedies that we are used to. The film has a good plot, and a good cast that deliver likeable performances, flawed at times, but Rushmore is hard to hate and dismiss. Worth watching if you want a different type of comedy.
cosmo313
½ June 18, 2006
Man, Wes Anderson and all involved sure knocked it out of the park with this one. They story here bears more than a passing resemblance to The Graduate, but it's not a complete ripoff, as it manages to exist in it's own little quirky and whimsical world. The performances are fucking brilliant, and for me, it was nice seeing Mason Gamble, since this is his most well known role aside from Dennis the Menace. If I'm not mistaken, this film marked the debut of Bill Murray in "these kinds of roles giving these types of performances". That's not a bad thing at all, especially since he does it so well. This movie, while funny, is also full of pain, sadness, and a lot of discomfort-perfectly capturing the pain of growing up, impossible love, peaking at a young age, and the difficulty of dealing with things one isn't prepared to. Because of this, the tone is all over the place, and the film comes dangerously close to being overly creepy and a turn off at times, and yet, somehow it still all manages to work, as does everything else here from the music to the set design and art direction. Definitely a film that merits watching.
September 6, 2010
I should really rewatch this movie, but from what I remember it reminded me of a story like Catcher in the Rye, with a strange teenage boy as the main character, and the the things that happen in his life. I thought it was a brilliant movie when I saw it, but it was so long ago, I don't recall why.
October 27, 2011
Anderson's second film really allowed to spread his wing's and pull out all his tricks. Filled with great performances, visuals, music, and set design.
October 5, 2008
Not quite up there with Wes Anderson's best (The Darjeeling Limited, Fantastic Mr. Fox) but still a pleasantly offbeat comedy. Rushmore, like all of Anderson's films, is not laugh-out-loud funny but subtly comedic. Jason Schwartzman takes an incredibly pretentious 15 year-old who's way in over his head at everything he attempts, and renders him absolutely likeable. His extremely elaborate school plays are amazing, too. Anderson's breakthrough wasn't as satisfying as I hoped, though. It sort of never truly takes off.
July 29, 2010
Unlike many of Wes Anderson's films in terms of content. He still uses methods of close captioning, odd dialouge and characters, and cooky storylines, but instead of dealing with a tangled web of ensemble, it dealt with the singular case of Max and his obsession with finding a purpose larger than himself. A common theme in Anderson's work includes becoming a social pariah, or generally being rude. This film, made before some of Anderson's more well known work, seems more like a preemptive strike, delving deeper into a character study than ever before. Great performances by Murray, Schwartzman, Williams, and Cox. Max's relationship with Blume (Murray) is reminescent of Harold and Maude, and that great ending embodies this assertion.
MeetMeinMontauk
½ September 7, 2010
I think this was my least favorite Wes Anderson film, however I really liked Bill Murray in it. And that's a plus and a rarity. (Sorry, Bill Murray fans). But I really found it funny, especially Mason Gamble. Hilarious kid.
I think Anderson strays from his usual themes in this film and that's what I didn't like about it. But, like I said, the humor was there.
½ March 13, 2008
"I think you just have gotta find something you love to do, and then do it for the rest of your life. For me, it's going to Rushmore."

Rushmore feels slightly different from Wes Anderson's other movies. It still has his trademark style, dialogue, and memorable characters, certainly. But there isn't as much of his normal focus on visually interesting sets, and the characters feel more lovable.

Their flaws aren't as self-destructive as the characters in The Royal Tenenbaums or The Darjeeling Limited. Young Max (Jason Schwartzman, cleverly handling a character who somehow manages to be both an underachiever AND an overachiever), his chosen infatuation, Miss Cross (Olivia Williams), and his disaffected older friend Mr. Blume (Bill Murray) aren't perfect, but Anderson chooses to make them less quirky than is his usual habit.

It's an interesting decision which changes the tone of the movie somewhat, but if you like most of Anderson's other work, this will probably be right up your alley, too. It's an endearing little movie about life and finding what makes it all worth it for you, and I enjoyed it.
flixsterman
January 4, 2009
Quirky off-beat take on teen angst that seems to get better with time. I like this one a lot more now than when I first saw it ten years ago (that may say more about me than it does about Rushmore).