97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

The Sadist Reviews

rubystevens
rubystevens

March 29, 2011
even lower budget than 'decoy' but it was shot by vilmos zsigmond, which might explain it's lingering effect. arch hall jr is creepy as hell. this is on youtube
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

March 27, 2011
Three schoolteachers are held hostage in a junkyard by a serial killer (based on Charles Starkweather). B-movie gem that alchemizes a greasy, over-the-top performance by failed teen idol Arch Hall, Jr. with a taut and tawdry script to produce masterful suspense.
_kelly .

February 6, 2009
Second time watching this. First time was on Rob Zombie hosted TCM Underground but I was too stoned to remember the whole thing. Second time is right now on RealPlayer SuperPass (and I'm sure a few other streaming services offer it too).

And for my "Went Down the Wrong Road" Backwoods horror list, I HAVE found a flick predating Lewis' Two Thousand Maniacs.

The title credits creep me out but maybe because I have a thing about eyes and their ability to scare.

"We don't like school teachers. Do we, Judy?" from this line on you know there will be some sadistic shit going down besides a simple carjacking.

I do think the "Big Man" was being a coward, as both the Sadist and hostage girl accuse. And then he keeps being "yellow" during the gun "game".

The ending sequence is a bit long and stretched out which affects its tension.

Arch Hall Jr.'s performance and the shooting style are the highlights of this film. The shot setup is really thoughtful and the best is early in the movie, where the perspective makes it feel like we the audience are holding the gun and seeing from Sadist Johnny's viewpoint.
Patrick D

August 12, 2008
This is the earliest film I've seen that very much resembles the horror subgenre that Last House of the Left, and definitely possesses the rawness and brutality that the best of those films have as well.
June 29, 2013
Watched this one off the To-Watch Pile before listening to a podcast review it, and it's a tense little watch, though Arch Hall's creepy gurning from start to finish mostly made me wanna hit him with a shovel, because holy shit does he sell the annoying assholish nature of his character. Loosely based on the story of Charles Starkweather, it's a lesser seen gem that's worth tracking down.

Rental?
wolverineland
June 10, 2007
What do you get when you cross Neville "D.O.A." Brand with a Cabbage Patch Doll? You get Arch Hall Jr. chewing up the scenery in this low budget precursor to "Badlands". The rest of the cast is forgettable but if you like campy Arch Hall Jr. films like I do, then this movie is right up your alley.
December 4, 2013
Starts off kind of dull, and there really isn't much to the plot, but it takes suspense and eeriness to a new level. There are times when it seems slow, yet it manages to be interesting and hard to ignore. Decent characters, hardly any predictability, and a worthy ending. Worth a check out.
March 19, 2013
The most suspenseful movie Ive seen. Arch Hall does a oscar deserving job playing a despicable monster. If only there would have been a hero like Clint Eastwood in this.
February 10, 2013
Must have been shocking in its day and I'd be very surprised if this wasn't an influence on Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects. Brutal and unrelenting, the charm of it being a B movie is soon forgotten.
January 23, 2013
great film. It slowly grabs your interest until the events become riveting. The actors, screenplay, cinematography: all are in perfect balance. There is nothing corny or hackneyed during the development of the film and you actually care about the outcome.But the way the film is shot is sheer genius emphasizing the emotional impact of the scenes. You can call it a low budget film but as a viewer and lover of films you won't be short changed!
May 18, 2012
Bought movie in anticipation of reliving the feelings that I had when I first saw it in the early "70's. Unfortunately the ending was not the same as originally remembered. New version is good, but the ending of the earlier movie is way more memorable. I won't spoil it for anyone by disclosing it.
Sarfaraz Abbasi
March 5, 2011
The Sadist, this film is one of top-road-horror-films. Miserably sadist killer, who holds 3 people (all teachers from Southern California) at gun-point and starts to unleash his sadist approach to go free on them with his sick girlfriend likewise. Loved the misery of people at mercy of this vicious person.
jazza923
June 29, 2008
Solid low budget "B" movie, great score, good acting and a very tense atmosphere. Fast paced, gripping story. Nice job. Downright creepy.
rajdoctor
September 30, 2007
I came about this 1963 movie just by chance. I heard that this was a breakthrough movie that gave a line-up to similar movies for many generations.

The story is about 3 people ? a school teacher Carl Oliver (Don Russell) a Man Ed Stiles (Richard Alden) and a lady Doris Page (Helen Hovey) - driving to LA for a dodger game; and pull off to a highway roadside old yard when their car has some trouble; without knowing that they would walk into two psychotic killers ? Charlie (Arch Hall Jr.) and Judy (Marilyn Manning), who are on their road of serial killings. The three innocent tourists become captive in the hands of these serial killers ? who enjoys in hurting others.

Even though it is a black/ white flick, small budget movie, and also considered a B-grade flick mostly because of its worn out star cast the direction by James Landis is superb. He sustains the tempo and suspense and a movie nearly 45 years old still maintains being ahead of the audience?s mind.

All the actors and actresses have over-acted or not acted so well. Arch Hall Jr. is the only one who leaves a high impression on our minds as a notorious killer. The body language and face expression though exaggerated matches the craziness of his character.

The music and camera work is of top class. The movement of camera from different angles is a treat to watch. The uncanny resemblance of this character?s steering laughter and spitting is a part of Indian legend and villain ? Gabbar Singh ? a close observation would reveal this.

A good movie