Safety Last! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Safety Last! Reviews

January 6, 2010
Classic Harold Lloyd, in what is probably his best known film. I can't get enough of it!
rubystevens
½ May 13, 2008
harold lloyd is so cute :)
½ January 10, 2009
Enjoyable slapstick comedy with a lot of inventiveness that still impresses. Simple shots such as the hiding on the coat hanger scene are still great to watch and it is the idea that amazes more than the stunt itself. The first shot was genuinely laugh out loud funny, and many moments after continued to bring a grin. If you are in the mood for a live action Looney Tune then this could be it. Suffers from a climax that is overlong and it is disappointing to see such a strong film lose the comedy towards the end.
October 5, 2007
Brilliant, perhaps the finest and most famous of the silent-era comedies. Technically amazing, and hilarious to boot.
Harlequin68
April 24, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=blue]I have seen plenty of silent comedies starring Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton before but I really do not think I had seen one starring Harold Lloyd before I saw "Safety Last" yesterday. At least in this picture, Lloyd has a mild-mannered demeanor. In this film, he has gone to the big city to make it big, only to end up working behind the counter at a department store. This is only the set-up for some hilarious gags. "Safety Last" combines the best of sight gags with some amazing physical derring-do to make for a truly excellent silent comedy.[/color][/font]
November 30, 2011
Being a big fan of both Chaplin and Keaton, this was my first experience with Harold Lloyd (thanks to The Criterion Collection's beautifully remastered Blu-ray version) and man was I impressed. The film was amazingly staged and was hilarious from start to finish as well as unnerving in the amazing stunts performed by Lloyd. I rarely laugh out loud during films but I was dying laughing throughout the film. The building climbing finale is both expertly staged and terrifying to watch as Lloyd teeters on the edge and dangles from multiple places on his long journey upwards. Watch a great comedy of the everyman Glasses character and one that most people then and now could relate to in some way or another. Highly recommended!
June 15, 2013
One of those silent films that has had an infinite amount of influence of modern cinema, "Safety Last!" features the instantly likable Harold Lloyd, a twisty narrative and a hilarious turn of events. The stunt work is quite phenomenal and that iconic clock-hanging scene is just as much of spectacle today as it was back then.
½ May 9, 2010
It was ok. I didn't find it funny at all, but it was ok.
January 3, 2014
I've seen Keaton and Chaplin (granted, not as much as I should have of either) but I've never seen any work of Harold Lloyd, so I'm not sure how indicative "Safety Last!" is of his other films. Starts as a workplace sitcom (a very rich and funny one at that) but the real star of this thing is the final set piece, in which Lloyd climbs a twelve-story building like a slippery stress reliever; I kept imagining at every turn Chloe Grace Moretz's awe-stricken face (can't find a good "Hugo" pic of this instance to link to but you know what scene I mean) whenever his shoe would drop, look down at the ant-sized bystanders, or open a window to reveal a stir-crazy pit bull at the leashed and frothy ready.

"Safety" is gimmick done right, full of splendid imagery and physical comedy at its most well-orchestrated and precise. The still everyone relates to this movie is of Lloyd dangling from the giant clock hand, but there's also a few shots of two separate people tangled up in fishing net wire, grasping and struggling to find their way out, that's equally as representative of what a tough, knotty task it to this day is to marry real-life action anxiety with huge laughs of slapstick relief. "Safety Last!" utilizes nearly all aspects of cinema -- from every moment's careful framework to the bouncy, humble organ music -- and it's just about perfect.

All on YouTube right now! The Internet, you guys. Continues to amaze. (96/100)
October 21, 2013
Amazing movie, still as funny and thrilling as it was when fist released. Harold Lloyd is just fantasic, a great comedic performance. Technically the climbing scenes are amazingly good and hold up perfectly today. Really looks like he's high up, and the way the scenes were filmed were still dangerous and groundbreaking. For being 90 years old, the film still looks fantastic, too. The jokes/gags still mostly hold up as well, it's still a very funny movie.
August 31, 2013
One of the true classics of the silent [or any other] era. Would be difficult to find a more iconic film to demonstrate that you don't need dialogue to be funny or CGI to thrill an audience. My personal favorite of the all the silent comedy features, with Charlie Chaplin's "City Lights" and Buster Keaton's "The General" rounding out the Top Three. And any Laurel & Hardy short for good measure!!
May 23, 2013
The clock-hanging climax that caps this generally charming tale of a country boy out to make his fortune in the big city is a superb example of his ability to mix suspense and slapstick.
February 28, 2013
Harold Lloyd was one of the great comedians of the silent era, up there with Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton. While I personally find Chaplin's films to be the best (they tend to have just a bit more heart to them), Lloyd and Keaton were masters of stunt comedy, with big outrageous and shocking stunts to wow the audience while still making them laugh. This film's big stunt involves Lloyd forced to climb a skyscraper as publicity stunt. It's an excellent sequence, and probably one of the best in cinema history.
July 22, 2009
Holy fuckin' Shit. Rarely does a movie curl my toes like the end of this one. Harold Lloyd must be one of the ballsiest actors in history. There are lots of actors that do their own stunts, but god damn.
½ July 22, 2009
Never since I first watched Cannibal Holocaust (1980) have I ever looked away from the screen while watching a movie than this. This is my very first Harold Lloyd film and I absolutely loved it. It's instantly one of my all time favorites. The first two thirds are hilarious. But it is the last third that is remembered. The last third consists of the main character climbing the outside of a building while birds, a dog, painters, and other obstacles get in his way. I would honestly rank this as one of the scariest films I've ever seen. And I don't even have that big of a fear of heights. Anybody and everybody should watch this magnificent film.
April 21, 2009
A fast, innovative comedy that still has relevance. I laughed just about the whole way through. This was my first Harold Lloyd and it probably won't be my last - although I have strong doubts that any of his other movies can top this one.
½ January 21, 2008
With its great thrills and laughs, "Safety Last!" is the best Harold Lloyd movie I've seen. Although I like Harry, he's really just for laughs; he doesn't have the depth of Chaplin.
½ July 26, 2008
I feel a bit rough on this movie.

This is my first Harold Lloyd. (Don't worry, I'll be reviewing my first W.C. Fields right after this.) I'm a big fan of truly classic comedy and how mcuh better can you get than Harold Lloyd. (Okay, the Marx Brothers, Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, etc. etc. etc.) Well, like I mentioned, this is my first Harold Lloyd and I'd like to establish right now that I really liked it. There's just some issues that I'd like to discuss.

First, the good. There's a lot of good here and I think that can be most summarized in the end. The end is what the movie is known for. The final third of the movie is him climbing the building and everything else in the movie is just fluff for him getting to that point. I mean, they need an explanation for why he's doing it and I guess that's okay. But you are watching this sequence (yes laughing, but...) just holding onto your seat. The big thing. There's no rear projection going on with this movie. Lloyd was infamous for not telling how he did this scene and I can't figure it out beyond the fact that the man took awful risks climbing this building. Sure, there may have been a net somewhere, but he really is that high up. How did he get a net up on every floor? I mean, he does some absolutely heart racing things. He almost falls a thousand times. You know those movies where the guy is teetering on the edge about to commit suicide? Top that level of nervousness by a thousand. But his confidence makes the entire thing funny. I mean, at one point, the man literally flies through the air between skyscrapers, swinging by a rope. It's absolutely insane.

I also have to commend the way that the movie ties itself together. The movie is seemingly very random. There are moments that come into play that you wonder "what does this have to do with the story whatsoever?"

...and then it does have something to do with it.

I mean, you could just write the movie backwards I suppose and I wouldn't put it past this movie to have done that, but I'm glad that most of the scenes have some justification. (I am reviewing this movie. I'm supposed to overthink this sh*t.) The most noticable part is the inclusion of the police officer subplot. I was wondering why it was so important to have the joke where Lloyd knocks over the wrong cop. It seemed like a stretch of the imagination to run into a boyhood friend who happens to be a cop in New York. But that storyline makes the end all possible.

Now my concerns. While I do commend most of the moments for tying into the end, there is a bit too much of randomness to the scenes. The movie is so madcap that it really is a collection of jokes all slammed together. There's not a very clean transition from one moment to the next. Rather, you are laughing, but not feeling like you are watching a movie. On top of that, some of those jokes are very "forced" jokes. These "look what I can do" moments that lead to a clear downfall. Now, I'm not going to say everything is predictable because there were a great deal of surprises that I got a good laugh at, but there are quite a few "why would you do that? You know you are going to mess up!" moments. (It's kind of like viral videos. The person gets really pissed off when he jumps off the roof into a bush and gets hurt. Viral videos, learn from Harold Lloyd. He at least staged all of his mishaps.)

Overall, this a fantastically funny movie with a few bumps in the middle of it. Remember, it's a 1923 silent film. They were inventing the genre. Think of it as the garage band before the movie gets overproduced. There's gonna be a few bumps, but you're happy to hear them in their original splendor.
July 23, 2008
Harold Lloyd is the bomb! I dont think I have ever been so captivated by a character ever before, I mean poor guy... (you'll see what i mean if you watch it) One of the best comedy (and one of the first too) ever.
December 2, 2014
"Safety Last!" combines the heart of Charlie Chaplin and the physical brilliance of Buster Keaton with the silent era's genius "Harold Lloyd".