64% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Safety Last! Reviews

May 15, 2014
Harold Lloyd climbing that clock tower is one of the funniest, yet nerve-wrecking sequences ever put on film.
June 4, 2014
After 90 years, it's still funny.
March 27, 2014
The climb was what I expected...awesome....but the other material is done just as well.......
February 23, 2014
a 1923 silent from the contemporary of Chaplin & Keaton, Harold Lloyd. this is probably his most well known film. It's amusing and has great stunts, not on the level of Chaplin and Keaton, but definitely worth watching! Check it out!
January 5, 2014
If you're acrophobic, it may not be the film for you. Excellent comedy, otherwise. Brilliantly created.
February 10, 2014
The very first action film is extremely skillful and warm. I laughed so many times out loud in the last building-climbing scene and was on the edge of my seat of suspense. The timing and amazement of the stunts are still way over my head.
February 9, 2014
My first Harold Lloyd. So this is about a boy (Lloyd), who is anxious to impress his girl (Mildred Davis), so much so that he may inadvertently become involved in a highly dangerous publicity stunt for cash. Outside of Buster Keaton, I have very limited exposure to the silent classics. Harold Lloyd's face works for this medium, and he has sort of a Rick Moranis thing going on. Watching this film, I did see that he did have a lot of physicality to his performance, but I felt that he didn't take as many risks as Keaton... that is, until I got to the big centerpiece of the film. Let me tell you, I was on pins and needles for the last fifteen minutes, and it is a jaw dropping finale. It's a dizzying accomplishment, and I don't know how they could have shot this without putting Lloyd at huge, personal risk. It's impossible not to watch with baited breath, and it is really what you walk away talking about. The rest of the film has tons of laugh out loud funny visual gags. There's a lot to recommend about this, and it is quite charming through and through.
January 18, 2014
Brilliant. Everyone should see this at least once.
January 3, 2014
I've seen Keaton and Chaplin (granted, not as much as I should have of either) but I've never seen any work of Harold Lloyd, so I'm not sure how indicative "Safety Last!" is of his other films. Starts as a workplace sitcom (a very rich and funny one at that) but the real star of this thing is the final set piece, in which Lloyd climbs a twelve-story building like a slippery stress reliever; I kept imagining at every turn Chloe Grace Moretz's awe-stricken face (can't find a good "Hugo" pic of this instance to link to but you know what scene I mean) whenever his shoe would drop, look down at the ant-sized bystanders, or open a window to reveal a stir-crazy pit bull at the leashed and frothy ready.

"Safety" is gimmick done right, full of splendid imagery and physical comedy at its most well-orchestrated and precise. The still everyone relates to this movie is of Lloyd dangling from the giant clock hand, but there's also a few shots of two separate people tangled up in fishing net wire, grasping and struggling to find their way out, that's equally as representative of what a tough, knotty task it to this day is to marry real-life action anxiety with huge laughs of slapstick relief. "Safety Last!" utilizes nearly all aspects of cinema -- from every moment's careful framework to the bouncy, humble organ music -- and it's just about perfect.

All on YouTube right now! The Internet, you guys. Continues to amaze. (96/100)
December 28, 2013
Très divertissant! Il est également drôle de voir à quel point certaines situations dans le commerce au détail n'ont pas changé depuis 1923 (comme la cliente qui arrive juste avant la fermeture du magasin et qui n'arrive pas à se brancher...).
August 6, 2012
A department store clerk who must pretend to his sweetheart that he is successful and rich, organises a concest to climb the outside of the department store, but curcumstances force him to climb the building himself. Safety Last is certainly one of the silent slapstick comedy era's finest works and one of the most recognised not least of all because of the amazing stunt where Lloyd climbs the building - a breathtaking gag that celebrates the daredevil antics of the stars of the genre at the time. Here we also find Lloyd's glasses character perfected and letting his goofy and hopelessly romantic personality breathe within the storyline. A real gem of the genre, funny and entertaining.
Chris B

November 30, 2011
Being a big fan of both Chaplin and Keaton, this was my first experience with Harold Lloyd (thanks to The Criterion Collection's beautifully remastered Blu-ray version) and man was I impressed. The film was amazingly staged and was hilarious from start to finish as well as unnerving in the amazing stunts performed by Lloyd. I rarely laugh out loud during films but I was dying laughing throughout the film. The building climbing finale is both expertly staged and terrifying to watch as Lloyd teeters on the edge and dangles from multiple places on his long journey upwards. Watch a great comedy of the everyman Glasses character and one that most people then and now could relate to in some way or another. Highly recommended!
November 9, 2013
Brilliant. Obviously influenced by Chaplin & Keaton - but Harold Lloyd certainly holds his own as a physical comedy genius.
October 21, 2013
Amazing movie, still as funny and thrilling as it was when fist released. Harold Lloyd is just fantasic, a great comedic performance. Technically the climbing scenes are amazingly good and hold up perfectly today. Really looks like he's high up, and the way the scenes were filmed were still dangerous and groundbreaking. For being 90 years old, the film still looks fantastic, too. The jokes/gags still mostly hold up as well, it's still a very funny movie.
October 13, 2013
The famous clock-hanging bit is mightily impressive, and exciting, but the biggest laughs come from smaller slapstick bits - Harold and his mate hiding from the landlord in the coats, Harold attempting to deal with a shopping crowd that makes MYER stocktake sales look sedate by comparison. On face value, Lloyd is a less comedic, tragic figure that the Little Tramp, and his set-pieces perhaps not as inventive or exquisitely timed as CCs, but his everyman quality makes him an extremely sympathetic and charming audience surrogate...one with outstanding physicality, despite missing a thumb and index finger. Amazing.
October 8, 2013
A classic and an innovative movie that still holds up today. The actors are amazing with Harold Lloyd being funny in almost every scene. Trying to impress the girl at the department store is hilarious as well as any other scene he's in. The other supporting actors are good as well with the best part being the climb up the department store. Just watch it since I can't spoil the whole movie since it is just so impressive and an amazing watch today.
September 12, 2013
For today's movie-going audience that have to have everything told to them out loud in order for them to understand what's going on AND have toilet humor and cheap jokes to make them laugh, Safety Last! will definitely not please them. And from reading some of the comments on this website from other users about this film, it's just that much more apparent to me. Now I won't sit here on my high horse and say that I laughed all the way through this film. It's definitely dated in the comedy department, but the techniques are way ahead of their time and can be taken from granted now. This is a terrific film with just as much to say as a talkie. I enjoyed it, even before the famous final act of the film. It's a warm-hearted little story that should be rated five stars for its charm alone. Again, it's dated, but it's no less wondrous.
September 8, 2013
Moj prvi dugometrazni nijemi film. Fantasticno! Odusevljen! Cijenim kinematografiju jos vise!
August 31, 2013
One of the true classics of the silent [or any other] era. Would be difficult to find a more iconic film to demonstrate that you don't need dialogue to be funny or CGI to thrill an audience. My personal favorite of the all the silent comedy features, with Charlie Chaplin's "City Lights" and Buster Keaton's "The General" rounding out the Top Three. And any Laurel & Hardy short for good measure!!
July 21, 2013
Silent screen star Harold Lloyd plays "the Boy" in this film. Very entertaining. Was first released in theaters in 1923 and created in DVD just this year.