Safety Not Guaranteed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Safety Not Guaranteed Reviews

½ August 8, 2012
A simple, heartfelt and entertaining film about a young woman trying to find a purpose who finds herself happily entangled in the complexities of an odd, but genuine man's aspiration to travel time. My only complaint was that the movie's other-worldly and imaginary conclusion didn't fit the tone of the rest of the movie, which had been very down to earth and real.
December 11, 2015
im not positive whether or not i akcheally hated this movie or not but aubrey plaza reminds me so much of the girsls i have sex with that ill give it three stars
½ June 9, 2012
A personality piece of a sci-fi story: a guy advertises for a partner to go time traveling with. An indie rag decides to look into the possible story by sending one reporter and two interns to look into it. What's really up for grabs though is the idea that all of us have the experience of the-one-that-got-away, the regret inherent with that, and the consideration: would we go back if we could? It's a personality piece cause that's what keeps us in the tale, the personalities involved, and not the time travel angle at all. It's not bad at all.
½ March 31, 2015
They could've played with the time travel concepts more but instead it was all about the main character. He was well written and well played, creating some funny moments, but not enough to save this from mediocrity.
November 21, 2015
A charming indi-scifi-romance thingy.
½ November 19, 2015
It was not that good as people are saying, but what i did understand about this movie is that it was a good story about real people who have real problems and choose to go outside the box to solve it. In one word refreshing, as that being said for this being a good film, and seeing the beautiful Aubrey Plaza on screen, I give " Safety Not Guaranteed " a C-.
½ November 16, 2015
massively underappreciated
½ July 1, 2012
You'd have to be heartless to not enjoy this film.
August 13, 2015
I found this movie on YouTube (please don't arrest me), and I thought it was one of the better indie films out there.
October 22, 2015
Fantastic! I liked it! It was a smart, mysterious, deep, suspenseful and very funny fantasy movie! Aubrey Plaza, Mark Duplass and Jake Johnson did great performances! Climax was really wonderful! Time travel was the theme, but it was a deep human dramedy... Colin Trevorrow directed only this movie, then he directed Jurassic World! Because he's a great director!
February 17, 2013
The odd sci-fi plot becomes so much more thanks to the stellar performances of it's four leads and the absolute heart behind the story.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
Safety Not Guaranteed is a feel good movie with light comedy and indie charm. The plot and acting, while not outstanding, are fine for what it is. The film moves along at a decent pace and comes to an end quickly enough. If viewed with modest expectations, Safety Not Guaranteed is fine for an evening's entertainment. Time travel fans should be warned that this is not a movie about time travel, really at all.
September 24, 2015
A very unexpected delight. A great underrated picture.
May 31, 2015
Soppy drama. No sci-fi at all. Obnoxiously tries too hard to be a metaphor for love/faith whatever.
September 22, 2015
The actors were weird but the plot was entertaining. There were a few funny parts. This is worth a watch on a movie channel.
½ September 17, 2015
Very cute and sweet.
½ August 29, 2015
An unconventional romcom about different relationships. The characters were very human and endearing.

**SPOILERS**
Thought there were some loose knots regarding the former love interest of Kenneth that were quickly brushed away after he realized that he was into Aubrey Plaza's character.
Requires some suspension of belief at the end, but maybe that added to the charm of the movie. For me, I found it a bit hard to believe, maybe it would've been better if they didn't show the end (whether they do successfully get to time travel or not).
August 23, 2015
A brilliant movie filled with equally brilliant performances. One great example of how a time travel movie should be made. Perfect in every way. Plaza's performance is excellent. The plot It may seem simple, but that's where It's strength comes from. It's not about making a big complicated time travel movie for the sake of it. It's about the characters and their feelings and how the choose to live. Because ultimately this film is about making choices and living with them. But most importantly, about living life.
August 11, 2015
Safety Not Guaranteed is a heartwarming movie worth 5 stars. Not very predictable, very good quality. Aubrey Plaza did an outstanding job, as always. This was (I'm pretty sure) the only time I've seen Mark Duplass in a movie, and he was a great actor also. I am glad that I watched it. The ending is kind of a Doctor Who-ish ending (which is a major plus to me.) I'm very impressed at this movie.
½ August 11, 2015
It's has it charming moments and is beautifully filmed with a good surprise ending, but the odd feel just made the whole film feel very unnecessarily awkward.