Five Favorite Films with Emily Blunt

Plus, the star of this week's Salmon Fishing in the Yemen on working with Ewan McGregor, her forthcoming comedy with Jason Segel, and reprising that Devil Wears Prada role.

Ever since your early roles it's been apparent that you have a gift for comedy. Was it always that way, or did you work at it?

I've always really enjoyed doing it. I don't know if it's something I necessarily work at, but I do make a point of trying to be in comedies, and bring comedy to roles when it's necessary. It's definitely something I really, really enjoy -- that's for sure.

Would you like to be doing more comedy?

Yeah, but I did a lot of it last year. I did Five-Year Engagement, which was a really big comedy, and then the one I did with Colin Firth [Arthur Newman, Golf Pro], which was another kind of dark comedy. So I do tend to gravitate to those roles quite a lot.

You're back with Jason Segel in Five-Year Engagement, after your cameo in The Muppets -- what's it like working together?

He's awesome. He's a friend of mine. He wrote it with me in mind -- at least that's what he told me; he's probably told five other girls the same thing. [Laughs] But yes, it was very easy working with him because we've known each other a while and we're friends. We had a trust of each other straight away, and that made it very easy to do those scenes. I think you'll probably see that. Hopefully the friendship comes through onto the screen. He's great fun.

Did that friendship lead to you reprising your Prada character in the The Muppets?

Yeah. I was actually shooting the Muppets cameo, which he had asked me to do, and then he came into my trailer and that's when he pitched me Five-Year Engagement.

Just how many "highly-strung personal assistant" roles did you get offered after The Devil Wears Prada?

[Laughs] Hundreds. I still get offered highly-strung roles. [Laughs]

So you'll only do one again for the Muppets.

Yeah. Because it was for Jason, you know, and it was the Muppets. You don't say "no" to doing a cameo in The Muppets. Those guys are icons.

Was Miss Piggy difficult to work with?

No. Miss Piggy was... Miss Piggy was quite difficult to work with, actually.

Who was worse -- Piggy or Streep?

Ah... I would say Piggy. She's more abusive. More openly abusive. [Laughs] Working with Meryl's character in Prada, she was more deathly... deathly quiet, which I think was more intimidating.

You have a couple of scenes with Kristen Scott-Thomas in this -- who's very funny, too. How was she?

She's ludicrous -- she's brilliant. She's quite intimating when you first meet her and then your realize that the best way to approach her is to take the piss out of her -- she really likes that. She's a real laugh, actually.

Looking at the roles you've taken so far, they're pretty diverse. Is there a method? Are you attracted to certain kinds of characters?

There's not necessarily a strategy, no. It's more just I'll have really a instinctive reaction to a script. I'll say, "Oh, that script I love," or "That character I love," or it scares me or it challenges me or I find it funny -- but it'll be very instinctive. It'll usually be that the movie I've just done is very different from the one that I'll do next. So I do try and vary it up as much as I can. I don't strategize movies on where I think they'll take me, or what I think will happen to me if I do them.

What was it like working with Rian Johnson on Looper?

He's phenomenal. Rian is spooky-good. I mean, I think Rian's gonna be a huge, huge deal in the industry and I think he's my favorite director that I've ever worked with. He's made a very cool, original film.

Are you a time traveler from the future in the movie?

I can't say! I can't reveal any details. I do wield a big gun. And I live on a farm.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen opens in theaters this week.

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Great choices, and a lovely actress. But "Jaws" having a "ludicrous backdrop"? Is that why it kept her terrified of the water for so long? Obviously the film is a classic because of the human element, and Spielberg's ability to avoid cynical exploitation. Nobody talks about the ludicrous backdrop of "Princess Bride", because sometimes these things simply don't matter when everything works.

Mar 4 - 03:44 PM

This comment has been removed.

Janson Jinnistan

That's all the wad you could muster? Tourette's and impotence is a horrible combination.

Mar 4 - 07:24 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

I think I see what she's saying. It's essentially about a serial man eating shark and the hunt for it. We now know that you have as much of a chance to get struck by lightning as you do getting attacked by a great white shark. So it is a somewhat ridiculous premise, but because Speilberg is an adept filmmaker (Indy 4 not included) he pulls it off by keeping the threat shrouded in mystery til the end and giving us characters we care about. And Michael R., good feedback. You're a man of few, retarded words.

Mar 4 - 07:21 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Obviously, shark attacks are rare, but that's what horrifying about them. I think the story idea behind the book came from an actual incident on Martha's Vineyard. But it doesn't matter. It's still her favorite film of all time, right? It looks like Mike R got cold feet before I could respond - something about Tourette's and impotence. I guess he wised up.

Mar 4 - 07:29 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Let him have a good cry. I honestly don't know what I said that set him off. I was joking not complaining.

Mar 4 - 07:45 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Who gives a fug. I saw he was "reported for spam" so RT might have pulled his waste of space comment. I think the moral of the story is Jaws is the shyt.

Mar 4 - 07:56 PM

Janson Jinnistan

M'Lady Emily doth decree!

Mar 4 - 08:03 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I think the ludicrous thing is finding "That" shark that terrorized the beach out in the middle of the ocean. Obviously I'm not going to pull conspiracy and say they didn't kill "that" shark but finding one specific fish (that nobody has seen) in the ocean is ludicrous.

Now that that's out of the way. I love these pics. The lives of others is the only one I haven't seen and she has me sold on placing it near the top of my Netflix Que.

Mar 4 - 08:27 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I think what she meant was that same premise has been used so many times in the intervening years from the Jaws sequels to SYFYs Sharktopus/Galligator movies to ridiculous effect that it makes what Spielberg did with it all the more impressive.

Mar 5 - 05:33 PM

Smartest Person Here

Greg Bonnette

Those are the some good films. Kudos.

Mar 4 - 05:16 PM

This comment has been removed.

Mar 4 - 07:24 PM

Angel G.

Angel Gabriel

such a beautiful actress and love her accent! :D

Mar 4 - 05:29 PM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

seen lives of others, and princess bride... lives of others was a little better...

Mar 4 - 05:35 PM

David Katz

David Katz

These are 5 great movies. Seen all 5, and really enjoyed them. Lives of others I came upon out of nowhere and thought it was excellent.

Mar 4 - 06:09 PM

Shiva the God of Death

Noah F

I totally read this in her British accent.

Mar 4 - 06:53 PM

nate2709

Nate 2709

She had me at Jaws.

Mar 4 - 06:55 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Mar 4 - 07:21 PM

Mar 4 - 07:29 PM

Mar 4 - 07:45 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Mar 4 - 07:56 PM

Janson Jinnistan

M'Lady Emily doth decree!

Mar 4 - 08:03 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Mar 4 - 08:27 PM

Mar 4 - 07:24 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Great actress, great choices.

Mar 4 - 07:28 PM

Mar 4 - 07:29 PM

Mar 4 - 07:45 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Mar 4 - 07:56 PM

Janson Jinnistan

M'Lady Emily doth decree!

Mar 4 - 08:03 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Mar 4 - 08:27 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

I haven't seen The Lives of Others but everything else is solid. Princess Bride had Andre the Giant, he warms my heart everytime I see him on the screen. Has anyone seen the Biography episode about him? What a tragic, cultural icon. I hope he's suplexing (so mad that word isn't in spell check) Randy Savage in heaven.

Mar 4 - 07:35 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships