Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen Reviews

January 23, 2016
McGregor and Blunt are wonderful in this fairly standard romantic development. Scott Thomas provides most of the laughs in a hilarious performance.
½ May 31, 2014
Ewan y Emily son encantadores y románticos, de eso no hay duda. La historia es funcional aunque en ocasiones es tediosa seguirla. Su premisa es curiosa y poco común lo que la hace interesante y digna de ver.
½ December 15, 2015
When there is a will, there is a way. Fine performances from Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt.
October 29, 2015
Kristin Scott Thomas is hilarious.
½ October 11, 2015
beautiful story about fishing and three people. Heart-warming story.
March 9, 2012
The film is a beautiful ... and very stretched thin ... metaphor. But Ewen is always delightful, and I never felt we we swimming upstream. So the rather obvious flow just keeps us the orchestrated, but a tad miraculous, journey.
December 25, 2012
I'm not quite sure why this film received Golden Globe buzz. It's an impossible task and a questionable romance (her boyfriend is MIA in Afghanistan and she's crying on Ewan's shoulder? Could she be any less likable?) twisted together. Classifying it as a comedy is a stretch. The one highlight was snotty Kristin Scott Thomas.
June 14, 2015
Not reading the book had no impact on my enjoyment of this film. Probably wouldn't have liked it had I done so. 1st glance I was getting the Love Actually mob. I was expecting Bill Neighy to make an appearance. I like Ewan McGregor's Asperger's character. Not so sure about the Kristin Scott Thomas's Cruela DeVille character. OTT. I found it very cliché that once in Yemen we are immediately given a sinister portrayal of the people that want to harm the sheikh, who in my opinion was the highlight for me in this film. Even surpassing the beautiful Emily Blunt. He was so deep and charming the way only a prince could be.
April 26, 2012
Light-hearted, unchallenging, a little silly, but still a delightful way to spend 2 hours
½ June 1, 2015
a fair read made into a good movie
June 1, 2015
Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt combine in 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen'. Certainly an odd premise, the movie tells the tale of one mans ambition to bring water, life and most importantly salmon to the oil country of Yemen. Unsurprisingly the writers have to bring some other components into the storyline to bulk it out, but these I did not mind too much. The romantic elements were reasonable, although this was primarily down to our two leads that I think gave good performances. An attempt at humour is regularly made, although only sometimes succeeds. Whilst the involvement of angry locals provides the finale, I felt as though this was brought upon slightly too abruptly. There was very little mention of this threat throughout the movie, meaning it just looked as though the writers needed a way of ending it. Otherwise a perfectly acceptable watch.
½ May 22, 2015
Quirky fun that occasionally suffers from being too cheesy.
October 18, 2012
A different setting for romantic comedy and it works. A british government fisheries officer is put on to an absurd situation by the publicity seeking pm's press relation officer of breeding Salmon in Yemen for a Sheikh on request by consultant ( Emily Blunt). What forms the later part of the story is very uncanny romance and friendship between Sheikh and Fisheries expert. ( Ewan Mcgreror). A sweet and quirky film. But A must watch.
½ April 11, 2015
Nothing really wrong with it. But nothing really all that 'right' with it either. Sort of like a movie filmed for people stuck on long airplane flights.
April 11, 2015
Salmon Fishing in Yemen is an excellent film. It is about a fisheries expert who is approached by a consultant to help a sheik's vision of bringing the sport of fly-fishing to the desert. Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Lasse Hallstrom did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Salmon Fishing in Yemen is a must see.
February 22, 2015
A cute and funny rom-com, with wonderful scenery thrown in for a bonus. No, the story was not believable, but the actors made it seem nearly so. While we were watching, we did believe that the lead character could have fallen for her soldier boyfriend so thoroughly that she went into depression when he was declared MIA. In real life, 3 weeks would be a very short romance to become so attached, but then again, they did become intimate right away. Amr Waked is brilliant as the Yemeni sheikh. Sure, there are many cartoonish moments. But if you just roll with the story as presented, you will have some laughs along the way.
March 22, 2012
Cute movie with an ultimately unsatisfying (unlikely) conclusion.
February 2, 2015
THIS IS THE MOST BORING MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN
January 26, 2015
only 6.8 on imdb, i don't get. The acting is very subtile, Ewan playing a role with asperger syndrome... the humor is very smart.
½ January 25, 2015
McGregor plays stuffy government employee Dr. Alfred Jones, forced by his boss to pursue the dubious plan of introducing salmons in Yemen. The plan is encouraged as a PR stunt, to prove that good relations between the UK and the Middle East are not impossible.
Therefore, Dr. Jones unwillingly cooperates with Harriet (played by Emily Blunt) and gets to know the Yemenite sheikh (Amr Waked) who is willing to invest lots of money to fulfil his dream. Scott Thomas plays the hilariously insufferable Press Secretary to the British Prime Minister. Romance ensues, but with some hindrance along the way.
Luckily, no knowledge of fishing is required to follow the story. McGregor and Blunt have chemistry. Scott Thomas and Amr Waked are excellent supporting actors and the movie is simply delightful. A rarity nowadays.