Salo (Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma) Reviews

July 28, 2013
It took nearly 40 years, but we've gotten to a point in modern cinema where looking back on Pasolini's swan song is now a doable, not entirely nauseating task. An essential viewing for any prospective filmmaker.
Jack Hawkins
October 30, 2012
'Salo' masquerades as some sort of political allegory, but the supposed subtext is just a tenuous excuse for covering a whole spectrum of perversity - it has no purpose apart from to shock and disgust.
June 8, 2012
A disgusting, extreme and shocking vision by Pier Paolo Pasolini of Marquis de Sade's book. Salo is an uncomfortable and unique experience, that also presents some black humor and humanism. It's a psychological, moral and a metaphor vision of the ditadorship and all the ways of kill the freedom. Unforgettable. Fresh.
FilmFanatik
February 3, 2012
Salo, or the 120 Days of Solom is not a film you're likely to seek out on your own. You pretty much have to be goaded into seeing it. It's one of the most controversial films ever made, despite the fact that it's all a work of fiction. It's based on true events (actually, the book it's derived from is), but if you watch the film closely you'll realize just how fictionally well-made it is. I can't begin to defend it on any sort of moral level. If filmmaking had any deadset morals to it then it would a pretty sparse landscape and I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now. The film has a level of social consciousness to it, despite the vile things taking place in it. It contains enough brutal violence, rape, sadism, torture and coprophagia for ten other films. I can't say I enjoyed the film or that I can recommend it. It's clearly an art film and nothing more, but if you can handle the unpleasantness of it without pure disgust or outrage, then by all means, see it as a work of art.
Keiko A. --Samurai--
February 5, 2011
Disgusting is the only word for it.
October 4, 2006
Like nothing before it or since. Far more brutal than pretty much any 'horror' film, and seems viciously amoral. Highly polarising, and I'm more than willing to accept some hating it for it's extreme content. But that's your failing. Some films have higher intentions than 'entertainment.'
ScoopOnline
December 6, 2009
Great God this is so very disturbing.
November 17, 2009
I honestly don't know how to rate this. It is the most sinister piece of film I've ever seen. It made me physically sick, which is something that has never happened to me before when watching a movie. As a film, it is outstanding. It makes you question the very essence of human nature and how people could be drawn to think and feel such horrible things, yet take no shame or disgrace in them. What I find most captivating about this movie is the decision to make the captured children not all that innocent. They are flawed and selfish, that's what makes their torture all the more realistic. The true kicker to me though, is the motivation. There is none. These fascist Italian elites take these children simply to see something be destroyed.
October 2, 2009
Pier Paolo Pasolini's last film is a masterpiece! It?s disgusting, depraved, shocking and cruel. It is not entertainment, its art. Many people get confused by this, Having watched it I can't say I enjoyed it, I will probably never watch it ever again but I thought it was brilliant. Not many other films have this effect. Pasolini put De Sade's disgusting novel to good use to voice his hatred of fascism and our capitalistic and materialistic society that was destroying the Italy he so loved. It fair to say he wasn't a happy chappy, his hate, anger and repulsion is laid bare in Salo, a necessary Evil of sorts. Watch once, if you think you've got the stomach but please read up on it before you do!
½ June 22, 2007
Without a doubt the most disturbing film I?ve ever attempted to watch. I tend to watch most films through, just to give it the benefit of the doubt, but had to switch this off, because of it?s uncomfortable imagery.

I knew this was a controversial film and of course that was one of my main reasons for watching it, I?m not one to shy away from controversial subjects, but this was a huge step too far for me. I don?t know how old the young Actor?s and Actresses were in this film, but they did look like children it still left me feeling very uncomfortable.

I thought the controversy surrounding this film was to do with the subject matter, but more disturbing was what the Actors/Actresses had to do in the film.

Curiosity does leave me wondering what happened next, but I just didn?t want to continue watching to find out, it felt all too voyeuristic to me.
flixsterman
½ January 1, 2009
The most disgusting film I've ever seen. Makes Pink Flamingos look like a Disney Movie.
January 3, 2009
a masterpiece in filmmaking, despite it's profound debauchery. pasolini's indictment of italy's fascist regime could not be more shocking than setting marquis de sade's most depraved story in salo. just like dante's circles of hell, the perversity, sadism, and torture progress to unimaginable human, yet inhumane, acts. all of this occurs in a beautiful artistic villa with the bourgoisie as the perpetrators of meaningless acts against the captive youths. as always, morricone's score aptly punctuates the scenes. the closing shot of the young solidiers' callous waltz is even more disturbing as these youths are unaffected by the surrounding hell. definitely not a film for the majority of audiences.
February 25, 2008
Great. S'nuff said. Biggest complaint about this movie: nobody bothers with any sort of lube. wtf?"So Fucked Up" highlight: candle held just beneath cock corona
June 4, 2007
Only the sick and depraved minds of Pasolini and DeSade could accomplish this perverse and disgusting freak show. the king of "weird" films.
thefog1331
½ September 11, 2007
Reviewer Cole Smithey had this to say, "Pasolini creates an impossibly insightful satirical allegory about fascism as it equates to consumerism."
What a load of crap. It's the same type of highbrows that try putting meaning in a David Lynch movie where there is none to be had. This film is nothing more than a sadistic, repulsive excuse to shock and disgust which is what director Pasolini reveled in given his controversial history. It's really no big surprise he was murdered shortly after the completion of this film--he probably wondered what took them so long.
August 5, 2007
Based on the writings of the infamous Marquis de Sade, this is quite heavy going and severely stomach-turning stuff. It is certainly not for children in any way even if it does feature a great many of them in its cast.
As the original "Les 120 Journées de Sodome" was written as a revenge against the society which put the Marquis de Sade in the Bastille, you can only suppose that this film was also meant as some kind of political statement by Pasolini. What that statement was though escaped me completely amidst all the unrelenting nastiness.
This is the torture movie that makes "Hostel" seem like Disney in comparison.
WrenchLT
½ June 10, 2007
Very unpleasent film to watch, and it's the only ever movie to make me throw up, which occurred during the sickening "Circle of Shit" chapter of the movie. It's easy to understand why this movie has gained such a bad rep over the years due to it's depictions of rape, graphic sexual dialogue, torture and violence. For me, the movie is just too damn bleak and generally boring to enjoy. Not for the easily offended, and strong stomachs are required if you decide to watch it.
Beefy
½ June 9, 2007
Maybe I'm jaded, but it didn't disturb me all that much. It telegraphs its intentions so early on that nothing that happens is all that surprising. Still, not for the weak stomached by any means.
½ July 4, 2006
I'd like to thank my friend Crystal for exposing me to THE strangest movie I've ever seen. I'm not saying it's horrible (I'm sure there's worse), but it was pretty bad nonetheless. It is excessively graphic and drives its point across in excess...right through your tongue, in fact!