Salo (SalÚ o le 120 giornate di Sodoma) Reviews

July 28, 2013
It took nearly 40 years, but we've gotten to a point in modern cinema where looking back on Pasolini's swan song is now a doable, not entirely nauseating task. An essential viewing for any prospective filmmaker.
Jack Hawkins
October 30, 2012
'Salo' masquerades as some sort of political allegory, but the supposed subtext is just a tenuous excuse for covering a whole spectrum of perversity - it has no purpose apart from to shock and disgust.
June 8, 2012
A disgusting, extreme and shocking vision by Pier Paolo Pasolini of Marquis de Sade's book. Salo is an uncomfortable and unique experience, that also presents some black humor and humanism. It's a psychological, moral and a metaphor vision of the ditadorship and all the ways of kill the freedom. Unforgettable. Fresh.
FilmFanatik
February 3, 2012
Salo, or the 120 Days of Solom is not a film you're likely to seek out on your own. You pretty much have to be goaded into seeing it. It's one of the most controversial films ever made, despite the fact that it's all a work of fiction. It's based on true events (actually, the book it's derived from is), but if you watch the film closely you'll realize just how fictionally well-made it is. I can't begin to defend it on any sort of moral level. If filmmaking had any deadset morals to it then it would a pretty sparse landscape and I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now. The film has a level of social consciousness to it, despite the vile things taking place in it. It contains enough brutal violence, rape, sadism, torture and coprophagia for ten other films. I can't say I enjoyed the film or that I can recommend it. It's clearly an art film and nothing more, but if you can handle the unpleasantness of it without pure disgust or outrage, then by all means, see it as a work of art.
Keiko A. --Samurai--
February 5, 2011
Disgusting is the only word for it.
October 4, 2006
Like nothing before it or since. Far more brutal than pretty much any 'horror' film, and seems viciously amoral. Highly polarising, and I'm more than willing to accept some hating it for it's extreme content. But that's your failing. Some films have higher intentions than 'entertainment.'
ScoopOnline
December 6, 2009
Great God this is so very disturbing.
November 17, 2009
I honestly don't know how to rate this. It is the most sinister piece of film I've ever seen. It made me physically sick, which is something that has never happened to me before when watching a movie. As a film, it is outstanding. It makes you question the very essence of human nature and how people could be drawn to think and feel such horrible things, yet take no shame or disgrace in them. What I find most captivating about this movie is the decision to make the captured children not all that innocent. They are flawed and selfish, that's what makes their torture all the more realistic. The true kicker to me though, is the motivation. There is none. These fascist Italian elites take these children simply to see something be destroyed.
½ June 22, 2007
Without a doubt the most disturbing film I?ve ever attempted to watch. I tend to watch most films through, just to give it the benefit of the doubt, but had to switch this off, because of it?s uncomfortable imagery.

I knew this was a controversial film and of course that was one of my main reasons for watching it, I?m not one to shy away from controversial subjects, but this was a huge step too far for me. I don?t know how old the young Actor?s and Actresses were in this film, but they did look like children it still left me feeling very uncomfortable.

I thought the controversy surrounding this film was to do with the subject matter, but more disturbing was what the Actors/Actresses had to do in the film.

Curiosity does leave me wondering what happened next, but I just didn?t want to continue watching to find out, it felt all too voyeuristic to me.
flixsterman
½ January 1, 2009
The most disgusting film I've ever seen. Makes Pink Flamingos look like a Disney Movie.
January 3, 2009
a masterpiece in filmmaking, despite it's profound debauchery. pasolini's indictment of italy's fascist regime could not be more shocking than setting marquis de sade's most depraved story in salo. just like dante's circles of hell, the perversity, sadism, and torture progress to unimaginable human, yet inhumane, acts. all of this occurs in a beautiful artistic villa with the bourgoisie as the perpetrators of meaningless acts against the captive youths. as always, morricone's score aptly punctuates the scenes. the closing shot of the young solidiers' callous waltz is even more disturbing as these youths are unaffected by the surrounding hell. definitely not a film for the majority of audiences.
February 25, 2008
Great. S'nuff said. Biggest complaint about this movie: nobody bothers with any sort of lube. wtf?"So Fucked Up" highlight: candle held just beneath cock corona
June 4, 2007
Only the sick and depraved minds of Pasolini and DeSade could accomplish this perverse and disgusting freak show. the king of "weird" films.
thefog1331
½ September 11, 2007
Reviewer Cole Smithey had this to say, "Pasolini creates an impossibly insightful satirical allegory about fascism as it equates to consumerism."
What a load of crap. It's the same type of highbrows that try putting meaning in a David Lynch movie where there is none to be had. This film is nothing more than a sadistic, repulsive excuse to shock and disgust which is what director Pasolini reveled in given his controversial history. It's really no big surprise he was murdered shortly after the completion of this film--he probably wondered what took them so long.
WrenchLT
½ June 10, 2007
Very unpleasent film to watch, and it's the only ever movie to make me throw up, which occurred during the sickening "Circle of Shit" chapter of the movie. It's easy to understand why this movie has gained such a bad rep over the years due to it's depictions of rape, graphic sexual dialogue, torture and violence. For me, the movie is just too damn bleak and generally boring to enjoy. Not for the easily offended, and strong stomachs are required if you decide to watch it.
Beefy
½ June 9, 2007
Maybe I'm jaded, but it didn't disturb me all that much. It telegraphs its intentions so early on that nothing that happens is all that surprising. Still, not for the weak stomached by any means.
½ July 4, 2006
I'd like to thank my friend Crystal for exposing me to THE strangest movie I've ever seen. I'm not saying it's horrible (I'm sure there's worse), but it was pretty bad nonetheless. It is excessively graphic and drives its point across in excess...right through your tongue, in fact!
Cinema-Maniac
½ October 17, 2012
Salo or 120 Days of Sodom has quite a reputation of being one of the most controversial films ever made and is labeled as one of the filthiest film in cinema. It's also been said that just owning the DVD is enough to impress any film enthusiast, except this one. While it's not an awful movie, the controversy behind such a film is exaggerated.

Salo is apparently about four fascist libertines round up 9 teenage boys and girls and subject them to 120 days of physical, mental and sexual torture. That's what it said on the back of my DVD box, except watching for myself the plot here is almost none existent. If it wasn't for the plot synopsis I would have called this a plot less film. Not much is explain and every character lacks depth. Each of the adults only has one characteristic from sexually creepy, sexually odd, sex obsess, and finally the "they seriously need a therapist" adults. As for the teenagers their characteristic ranges from disturbed, depress, disturb again, and questionable sexuality. The lack of any attachment to these teenagers does not really make this all that disturbing. While it is uncomfortable seeing nude teenagers (some under 18), these victims who are being tortured aren't the main focus. The film would have worked better if it followed the view from one of the teenagers since they are going through this torture and would have allowed the film to take some interesting turn. Except we follow four fascist that do the same thing over and over again which diminish the shock values after the second time after you something "shocking". As for the deep context there's certainly some meaning in it such as hopelessness for these characters and freedom of our sexuality. Though it wasn't send effectively since I had no attachment to these teenagers and the film just plays out to the point you'll wonder if the director had a script going in. Plot wise it doesn't work to well and with no attachment to the victim makes all the torture not that effective nor a difficult journey to see.

Calling Salo a poor film would be doing it a huge injustice. While it didn't live up to the controversial status when it came to it so call "graphic" material it does some things pretty well. The atmosphere got across to me and the fact that music is not over use gives it a level of realism. The acting was pretty good despite the lack any dimension the actors character had. It was filmed and there was a few moments that made me uncomfortable, like when teenager genitals are burned with a candle. The movie itself is not all that graphic, except their will be people who will be more concern that their two guys kissing. If you're one that can't stand watching two guys kissing and hate homosexuals, you should get you get your brain check since lesbianism is the same thing just with a gender swap. The effects it had near the end were pretty good, but the director cut away from the only remotely disturbing material. A teenager was getting his cut off was with a knife and the effect looked very good, but moments like these towards the end are cut away and don't leave much of an impact. Now if there's one scene everyone talks about in this movie are when the people eat feces. Now these scenes aren't that bad, I was actually eating a burger and some chocolate while watching these. The film does fit the category that you'll either hate it or like it. It's similar to The Tree of Life in which there's no universally accepted view on the film, you just have to see it for yourself and decide. If there's anything of there is anything questionable about this film is Sight and Sound placed the film on their critics Top 250 Films of All Time list. Which means this film belongs in the same category like Citizen Kane, The Godfather, and Apocalypse Now which is something I can't accept since this is not at that level of masterful craftsmanship.

Salo is a mixed bag, it's plot non existent with only a handful of elements that prevented of being a total mess. The controversy behind this film is largely false with the nudity of teenagers (some under 18) being the most over used controversial material here. With no attachment to any of the teenagers with the torture they endure is what mostly holds it back from sending its deep context message. It's a tame film that, much like The Tree of Life, you have to see for yourself and decide for yourself if you like it or not due to no definite universal view on it.
½ March 17, 2008
Many people call this the most disgusting film ever made, but when the point is to defame Mussolini's fascist regime, is it really so loathsome and depraved?

I'm not sure about the actor's name (Aldo Valletti?), but the cross-eyed, red-headed creep is just about the most detestable character I've seen in a film. Bravo...I guess.

Was the poo real?