• PG-13, 1 hr. 39 min.
  • On DVD:    Jan 8, 2013
  • Oscilloscope Pictures

Samsara Reviews

Maurice G. Maurice G. September 23, 2014
Perfection in Film. Stunning visuals and sensory narrative, all without the distraction of words. As a Buddhist, I especially appreciate this "guided meditation" of a film. As a film-lover, I am amazed at this jewel of creativity and dedication to the craft. Even Homer Simpson could find something to admire within this work of art.
Kacper B September 21, 2014
Memorable experience with a great potential of influencing one's perception of human and Earth. Highly recommended.
Harlequin68 Harlequin68
September 14, 2014
There is a school of thought amongst film critics that so-called visual poetry should be more the most important element of a documentary, even to the detriment of any information that could be imparted. The technical term for such is watching paint dry.

Case in point is "Samsara" which admittedly does have some beautiful imagery but for most of its length it seems spectacularly random. Some things do shine through such as a freakish sequence and a musical number that should also serve as a preview for the fifth season of 'Orange is the New Black.' Otherwise, there are messages I think about progress and overconsumption. But showing an overweight family at a fast food restaurant is such a cheap shot that it is definitely not the way to go.
Caz M September 4, 2014
A beautiful movie that shows the wonderful and majestic parts of the world and also the ugliness hidden underneath our lives. All through imagery and sound, giving you the the opportunity to come up with the conclusion to what you are viewing.
Kyle Brian O ½ August 25, 2014
Samsara is a visual experience that will raise questions and force you to find the answers.

It may bring you to tears, shock you, amaze you and leave you in a state of deep thought. It's message, thought carefully thought out, could be taken in different ways by different viewers. Dealing with root beliefs inherent in our present world, it shatters the illusion of immortality, identity being linked to possessions, the forcing of man to become the working man, objectification and losing ourselves in purpose/job/appearance. It also tackles the objectification of animals, to be eaten or not eaten and the monotonous, mechanical abuse this process leads to. This is only the tip of the themes in this film and explaining cannot do it justice.

I would recommend this for anyone wanting to understand the true nature of identity, anyone who enjoys a film that requires attention and though or even those who are looking for a unique movie experience.
Michael Q August 18, 2014
A very spectacular film but really just about picture and movement.
Ella B. Ella B. August 17, 2014
Very impressive. Samsara touches you on so many levels. Deeply. It makes you feel highly uneasy and uncomfortable and leaves you with the question: "What madness am I participating in?"
Steve Y July 27, 2014
Looks awesome on a good HDTV.
hipsterfilmreviews hipsterfilmreviews June 16, 2014
[Interested: cannot find.]
Eric H July 9, 2014
Almost spiritual; to see humanity, not hear it described. Amazing, an absolute must see.
Claudette A December 25, 2012
I excepted this movie to be a magnificent visual masterpiece. It was until I saw the slaughterhouse which I didn't expect in this film. Being a sensitive person this upset me, so did the scene with all the garbage of rubbish. What are we doing to our sensitive planet and the animals on it?
Stig H ½ January 17, 2013
"Baraka" was better.
Tibor P ½ May 14, 2014
Annak ellenére, hogy a filmben egy szó sem hangzik el, félelmetesen lebilincsel?, vagy pont azért...
Lucero C April 24, 2012
Beautiful film but breathe taking cinematography!!
Ratih A ½ April 21, 2014
Astonishingly beautiful. This is the kind of movie that after you watch it you become a different person. But a little thing that's off. There's no dialog.
ayron. ayron. April 4, 2014
Samsara is a beautiful, almost hypnotic experience that is surprisingly uplifting and conveys its message in a unique way, even if it's a bit on the nose at times.
Jonathan B ½ April 2, 2014
Ron Fricke, Cinematographer for Godfrey Reggio on the seminal Koyaanisqatsi, directed the similar Baraka in 1992. If you've seen Reggio's films and Fricke's first, then you know what to expect here. Shot on 70mm over a 5 year period, at times the visuals on display are truly breathtaking and the transfer to Blu-Ray is excellent. A meditative, purely visual journey, that loosely forms an elliptical narrative, exploring a few Buddhist themes of the cyclical nature of life along the way.
Brice B March 31, 2014
De belles images certes, mais on a du mal a voir le fil conducteur et on se demande ce que font certains plans dans le film. C'est un peu mou, et des indiquations sur le lieu des images n'auraient pas été inutiles pour aider a la compréhension
Irina M ½ March 23, 2014
"Samsara, the Sanskrit for "continuous flow" is visually breathtaking, the sound design is simply stunning, 0 dialog/ monologue - I have never seen such thing but it's mesmerizingly GOOD !

It took 5 years to make and co-ordinate Samsara!

It was shot in Panarama 70mm, across 26 countries, it needing major government and regulatory clearances, having to wait for certain seasons or lunar phases to get the light to hit the way director Fricke wanted.

There are few shocking scenes, haunting ones and describing them is be no easy task.

One involves a man sitting behind a desk, who begins to smear modeling clay on his face, before grabbing a tiny paint brush and stroking black and red paint all over himself as well. He begins to vigorously do both things at once, ripping clay off his face only to smear it back on, throw dust in his eyes, stick pencils in his face, etc. The long-shot becomes faster and faster, while jolting music plays in the background.

As someone was saying and I fully agree, "Samsara is beautiful, bizarre, and unforgettable".
Alessandro S ½ March 15, 2014
A trip around this still beautiful, yet less blessed, world. A stunning visual experience.