Five Favorite Films with Tim Burton

Summary

"I really wouldn't know a good movie if it bit me in the face -- up to a certain point," laughs Tim Burton, recalling his childhood movie watching experiences. We recently caught the filmmaker behind such iconic work as Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas as he unveiled his exhibition of art in Melbourne, Australia, where he revealed his all-time personal five favorite films. "These kinds of films, there was something that harkened back to when you read a weird kind of pulp or fairy or folk tale," he explains. "They've got kind of rough edges around them. There's something primal about them. A lot of these movies, for me, some of their flaws are actually their strengths. These are the kinds of films that if they're on, I'll watch them. Call it masochism, I don't know. They're a part of me." Back to Article

Comments

cowhouse

Daryl Mitchell

Ouch...

Jul 21 - 07:47 PM

Jacob S.

Jacob Shamsian

This guy's movie taste is worse than his movies.

Jul 21 - 08:29 PM

Phillip K.

Phillip Kissell

Zing!

Jul 21 - 10:10 PM

Brian S

Brian Schrock

LOLZ

Jul 25 - 02:52 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

I don't know how that works since NONE of his movies suck.

Aug 5 - 12:57 PM

Francisco Vidal Correa Dos Santos

Francisco Vidal Correa Dos Santos

disagreed, i dont like any of tim burton films (with xception of ed wood and edward scissorhands)

Feb 12 - 10:26 AM

Francisco Vidal Correa Dos Santos

Francisco Vidal Correa Dos Santos

exception,sorry

Feb 12 - 10:27 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

At least he's honest.

Was wondering what was going to be on here and it didnt disappoint in terms of weirdness. He's a weird guy. He's also a bazillionaire for it.

Have seen Omega Man (OK) and the Golden Voyage of Sinbad (Great!)

Jul 21 - 08:29 PM

Lenny Feder

creighton satterfield

interesting, I might still pick one of these movies over watching one of his (except Ed Wood).

Jul 21 - 08:30 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Cmon, Edward Scissor Hands and Beetlejuice are great.

Jul 21 - 08:31 PM

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

These movies are awesome. B-movie classics.

Jul 21 - 08:41 PM

This comment has been removed.

Brantastic16

Brandon Williamson

Lul.

Oct 12 - 05:40 PM

Matthew

Matthew Allen

Tim Burton looks like a homeless man.

I don't like his movies, I find them emotionally distant & the dark fairy tale aesthetic in all his films just feels fake.

He likes kooky old schlock movies. I give him props for putting guilty pleasure in an all time favourites list.

I reckon they should remake the Wicker Man AGAIN. Turn it into an edgey survivalist action thriller where the good guy actually escapes the cult.

Jul 21 - 09:22 PM

Clint Obana

Clint Obana

I kind of enjoyed Batman. Of course, it has been said that Batman is campy, and to an extenet that is true. But as disposable and fun entertainment, Batman succeeds tremendously.

Dec 28 - 06:39 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

I had a feeling, with it being Burton, that his picks would be a very mixed bag.

Jul 21 - 09:32 PM

D34DGh0sT

Dudley Heffington

brilliant list... truly burton and exactly the kind of taste i would have expected from him. nothing short of awesome. the omega man is one of my favorite movies too, i am legend blows compared to it

Jul 21 - 09:33 PM

Matt L.

Matt Lubisich

no "Dark Knight" on the list? i'm shocked

Jul 21 - 09:43 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

That's because The Dark Knight sucked. Batman Returns & Mask of the Phantasm are superior.

Aug 5 - 12:57 PM

thedownstar

ryan brown

.............anyone know which franchise he'll dull down next?

Jul 21 - 09:44 PM

Rick Brands

Rick Brands

Apparently his own, because IMDb mentions a full-length remake of his early short film 'Frankenweenie' as his next directing credit. The guy has definitely run out of ideas. What's next, a 3-D CGI 'Ed Wood' remake? (Actually, that would be great.)

Jul 23 - 04:31 AM

nicholas n.

nicholas noble

Wicker Man is amazing and I love The Omega Man...

Jul 21 - 10:06 PM

Phillip K.

Phillip Kissell

Zing!

Jul 21 - 10:10 PM

Brian S

Brian Schrock

LOLZ

Jul 25 - 02:52 PM

Brainstew

Doug Q

Are you clowns delusional?

Beetle Juice, Batman, Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Big Fish, Sweeny Todd, etc...
Also don't forget he wrote The Nightmare Before Christmas

This man has made some damn good films, show him some respect he has earned.

Jul 21 - 10:54 PM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Yeah he's made some great films. The guy has a unique style and he utilizes it well. I can understand that people have become tired of his style, but I never seem to get sick of it. Beetlejuice is one of my all time favorites, and then he follows that with Batman. Big Fish and Nightmare Before Christmas are great too. People hate his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but it's much closer to the book (although I too like the 1971 version better). Mars Attacks is an underrated fun and cool little movie. The guy has just an impressive resume of movies to his credit.

Jul 22 - 06:23 AM

Sean P.

Sean Peecook

Agreed. He sure isn't consistent, but he has made some great films. Big Fish and The Nightmare Before Christmas are two of my favorite films. I will agree that the new Alice movie served no point.

Jul 22 - 11:36 AM

Jason C Wilkerson

Jason Wilkerson

He didn't direct Nightmare Before Christmas, he created and developed it. Henry Selick, who went on to direct Coraline, directed it.

Jul 23 - 02:03 PM

Rick Brands

Rick Brands

I'm a fan of most of his work (I even have his charming little book 'The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy' lying around), but lately he's made a lot of - to put it kindly - not so great films: Alice in Wonderland, Sweeney Todd, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride (well made, but not memorable at all) and Planet of the Apes.

Still, that makes for five inferior films, and ten good/great ones in a career of over twenty-five years. Pretty good score, I'd say. Nonetheless, I really hope we can expect a return to form any time soon.

Jul 23 - 04:42 AM

btiltman

Bill Tiltman

They probably prefer the recycled template scripts of the hollywood moneymaking machine. Whether you like his movies or not at least he has done some unique stuff.

Jul 31 - 03:49 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

You forgot to mention Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

Aug 5 - 12:58 PM

mchris65

mc sw

and you forgot to mention Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Dec 29 - 04:59 AM

mchris65

mc sw

and YOU forgot to mention Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Dec 29 - 04:59 AM

Maria D.

Maria De Pierola

I completely agree. Nightmare before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands remain my favorites- but I can still laugh my ass off at Mars Attacks, or seriously enjoy Corpse Bride, and Beetlejuice. Although the story wasn't so impressive, I was left astounded by the beautiful imagery of the new Alice in Wonderland movie- which is a credit to him all the same. My least favorite remains Charlie- the 1970's version is far better. But this is a director with a set, unique style that makes it easy to recognize- and that's something I can admire.

Aug 21 - 07:23 PM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer