Five Favorite Films with James Cameron

Plus, we talk with Sanctum's executive producer, director Alister Grierson and writer Andrew Wight.

James Cameron

Sometimes, amid the clamor of media junkets and their tight roster of promotional interviews, we don't always get a chance to pop our "five favorite films" question. Given that this was James Cameron, however, we couldn't resist sneaking the quiz into the conversation -- despite his being pressed for time.

Cameron was on hand, together with director Alister Grierson and writer-producer Andrew Wight, to promote Sanctum, the 3-D cave-diving thriller that arrives in cinemas this week. The film, set in the dark and sometimes terrifying labyrinth of a cave system in Papua New Guinea, deploys the camera technology that Cameron and Wight, a fellow diver, had pioneered on their ocean expeditions -- and would form the basis for the tools with which Avatar was shot.

You can read on for our chat with the filmmakers about Sanctum. Here, our conversation turns -- albeit briefly -- to all-time favorite films.

"I hate lists. I never do lists," Cameron protests. "But we'll stumble through it."

"Not because he's sitting here, but Terminator 2," offers Wight.

"You liar," Cameron replies. "I've never been able to do this but I'll take a stab at it."

The Wizard of Oz (1939, 100% Tomatometer)
The Wizard of Oz

The Wizard of Oz is number one.

Dr. Strangelove

I can't order these, you know, but somewhere in the top 10 would be Dr. Strangelove...

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, 96% Tomatometer)
2001: A Space Odyssey

...and 2001: A Space Odyssey. Anything by Kubrick.

The Godfather (1972, 100% Tomatometer)
The Godfather

Just about half of Coppola's films. ["Except for his last one," adds Grierson.] Hey, I said half. Okay -- Godfather.

Taxi Driver (1976, 98% Tomatometer)
Taxi Driver

Okay, Taxi Driver. I love Taxi Driver.

Click here for our chat with the filmmakers.

Sanctum is released nationwide this week.

Comments

nongshim

Kathryne C

A little cliche...

Jan 31 - 04:33 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

Not that these aren't all great films, though.

Jan 31 - 04:36 PM

Jack R.

Jack Russell

On the subject of cliche, which is often mentioned in the same sentence as formula, every film is technically cliche and every film uses the same formula. Undeniably so, they do, especially the 'non-formulaic' films like , Pulp Fiction, Annie Hall, Raising Arizona, Evil Dead. In fact, 'off beat' films follow the beats of formula more than films that are considered cliche or formulaic. Indeed.

Feb 1 - 05:49 PM

dn_smith86

David Smith

"every film is technically cliche and every film uses the same formula" - Wow, if you truly believe this, I highly recommend watching more movies. Go watch some films by Stan Brakhage, Jan Svankmajer, or Agnes Varda and just try to defend that statement. The only thing their films have in common with most is running at 24fps. If they don't prove my point, I'll recommend a dozen more people whose works will. Ignorance is an astounding thing... And when were any of the films you mentioned ever advertised as being non-formulaic? Especially when "Pulp Fiction" obviously borrowed its timeline structure off of films like "The Killing" and "Rashomon." Randomly spurting off words to make a sentence doesn't automatically make it a true staement, especally when you fail to defend your argument...

Feb 1 - 06:23 PM

Stephen P.

Stephen Pagnucco

I absolutely agree with you dn_smith86, not all films are cliche.
It is absolutely ridiculous to conjure a statement that all films are cliche without any support or evidence. I'm sorry but you must take into consideration Smith's request of watching more films.

Feb 1 - 07:46 PM

Scappy D.

Scappy Doo

You pretentious fucker.

Feb 2 - 01:54 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

Honestly you guys who are telling me "these movies aren't obscure what are you talking about" reaaaaally need to read the previous posts. I said these movies are really popular for these lists, and when people said I shouldn't call his list cliche, I replied that I would call lists that contained only obscure movies pretentious.

The Wizard of Oz? Obscure?

Feb 2 - 03:12 PM

AshCosgrove

Chris Dietz

He means to say that most films follow the basic story structure of exposition, narrative hook, rising action, climax, falling action, and conclusion. There is no such thing as an original story. So many stories have been told and so much groundwork has been covered, especially in the last 100 years of film, that there's no way that you can't relate one movie's story or themes to another movie, book, play, fable, etc.

Feb 3 - 08:10 AM

Stephen P.

Stephen Pagnucco

Of course these films are classics, there is no argument there. Its that James Cameron has chosen films that most people have watched time and time again, he doesn't add any new titles to "Five Favourite films" column. His selection is cliched, not that the films themselves follow familiar formulas. And yes all films follow such a structure, its common sense. In those terms it is more of a science, to add a climax and conclusion. Those are the actual vehicles for the film, what u add in those vehicles determine whether the movie is a dud or a classic. I shoudn't be writting this, everyone on this site should know this by now

Feb 3 - 06:15 PM

dn_smith86

David Smith

It's still not proper to lump an entire history of cinema into one category and assume "All films" follow the same structure. Yes, I agree, the vast majority of popular cinema uses a textbook structure outlined by 'AshCosgrove' and further supported by 'Stephen P', alas, there is an entire world of art house cinema that evades these general techniques and does so in spectacular fashion. Like, oh, I don't know, The Brothers Quay or Stan Brakhage, whom I pointed out in my initial argument against 'Jack R'. People need to broaden their scope of what cinema actually is, especially if you're constrained to the mind-numbing stupidity that Hollywood (including the likes of Mr. Cameron) has been producing as of late...

Feb 4 - 05:41 PM

Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan

How can a film be cliche if the director creates the genre? Case in point, Fellini when he created the mockumentary. In summation, you need to think before you type.

Feb 5 - 05:25 AM

Erik L.

Erik Larson

ugh, go write a terrible screen play already

Feb 5 - 06:52 AM

dn_smith86

David Smith

I wonder if there's beer on the sun...

Feb 5 - 03:36 PM

Russell M.

Russell Morris

I wholeheartedly agree with dn_smith. Most films made within the Hollywood system must follow some sort of formula or set structure, because no one will buy or produce your script unless it closely resembles something that already exists (particularly something that made a lot of money) But cinema has been produced all over the world for nearly 100 years, why limit the entire spectrum of the art form to one city? The films of Sergei Parajanov, Alain Resnais, Chantal Akerman amongst many others seek to invent their own visual and narrative language, and, for the most part, succeed brilliantly. I'm not attempting to condemn your statement, merely stick up for the filmmakers whose oeuvres cannot be pegged in a single statement. But, seeing as the defense of experimental, art house or even international films is an intrinsic flight of pretension, I'm going to go indulge my inner-hipster and light a Lunchable on fire and sell it to an art dealer.

Mar 13 - 01:15 PM

bassbait t.

bassbait the monkey

Honestly, saying "your list is cliche" has become cliche.

Sure, The Godfather is ALWAYS mentioned, but 2001 doesn't get all that much credit. It inspired ALL of Cameron's movies, and he acknowledges it, so he HAD to put that on.

Dr. Strangelove is referenced a lot, but it's not cliche. If anything, the amount of people who like the classics versus those who are irreverent to the classics makes it so that it CAN'T be cliche to like the films that everyone else likes, because there's still TONS AND TONS of people that don't like them.

The only choice I disapprove of is Wizard of Oz. He could have put any movie, but he put that one. I wish he would have put another serious film like Barry Lyndon, which topped Scorsese's list of favorite films.

Jan 31 - 08:09 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

all right, instead, i'll go post "pretentious list" when people put only obscure movies on their lists.
happy?

Jan 31 - 08:38 PM

orange.pekoe.

Krystal W.

i also think this is cliche...c'mon james cameron, youre a director for hellz sake...you should know a shit ton of good movies...at least recommend like ONE i havent seen and then end up loving you for recommending it...i am mildly disappointed...

Jan 31 - 10:08 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

I know, I mean... it's fine if you like Kubrick or Scorsese, but do all the movies on these lists have to be the same? Especially James Cameron's.

Jan 31 - 10:25 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

"obscure movies"

Those films are NOT obscure films. What the hell are you smoking?

Feb 1 - 01:56 AM

Kevin B.

Kevin Baker

I can't stand Godfather, I wish Heath Ledger would show up and say "Why so serious?" It's just too much Oh So Serious shoved down your throat. I think Heat is a way better movie as a crime saga about real people in the real world trying to make a living, instead of millionaire mafiosos scheming against each other for power and honor and abstract ideals.

Feb 1 - 09:41 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

It insists upon itself.

Feb 1 - 10:00 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

It insists upon itself.

Feb 1 - 10:00 AM

HypeWaive487

Ernie Truman

Which of these movies are obscure? Granted some aren't as popular as say...Titanic but odds are if you like movies then you have at least heard of the movies he listed. I would say the least known movies on this list are the Kubrick films, but even those are fairly well known. You could call it pretentious but maybe these are really his favorite films. I doubt that he listed them because of some elitist notion that you can only list confirmed classics as your favorites. He doesn't seem like that kind of person. This makes sense when you look at a director who strives for perfection (or at least maybe a director who works on a movie until it is absolutely right). I think he admires other director's abilities to get it right, and who can argue that they didn't.

Feb 2 - 12:22 AM

serge d.

serge donaldson

Stop seeking people's approval and stand by your statement(s)/comment(s).

Feb 3 - 02:42 PM

Zissou

Hola Amigo

Kevin B. I completely agree with you about Heat as a great movie.

Heat is definitely one of my top 5 movies, as I always go back to it every so often and just find myself in awe of its beautiful realism.

Everyone knows Pacino and De Niro are awesome in it, but it's the other actors in this movie who maintain that realism for me by also being on top of their game (Val Kilmer, Diane Venora, Kevin Gage as Waingro, Jon Voight, Tom Sizemore, Danny Trejo, Natalie Portman, and the list goes on).
All the smaller roles get the SH*T acted out of them, and I love it.

Feb 2 - 11:56 AM

Zissou

Hola Amigo

Kevin B. I completely agree with you about Heat as a great movie.

All the smaller roles get the SH*T acted out of them, and I love it.

Feb 2 - 11:58 AM

Zissou

Hola Amigo

Kevin B. I completely agree with you about Heat as a great movie.

All the smaller roles get the SH*T acted out of them, and I love it.

Feb 2 - 11:58 AM

Alessandro B.

Alessandro Barbieri

To everyone. Guys What you are doing here by saying that Cameron's list is a cliche or full of cliche's is simply stating an opinion on his taste. This is a list of which are his favourite movies. That means that you can only criticise his taste but not his choices. The fact that there are many similarities between lists by different directors means that these are great movies (and I'm sure that nobody is criticising this) and very influential (especially for the directors themselves in the development of their own style). The repetition doesn't make the lists cliches but it should make us realise how important these movies are if every other director puts them in their top something.

Feb 4 - 06:01 AM

Alessandro B.

Alessandro Barbieri

Feb 4 - 06:01 AM

Alessandro B.

Alessandro Barbieri

Feb 4 - 06:08 AM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Um, to be fair, he seemed to hate making this list and was clearly trying to get it over with as soon as he could. I'm sure a more elaborate list would've surfaced if he took the time to sit down and think about it. Sounds like he was just pulling out the first five movies that came to his mind which he remembered loving.

Feb 1 - 06:22 AM

M Night Shyamalan

M Night Shyamalan

A little love for Airbender would've gone a long way...

Feb 2 - 06:34 AM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

LMFAO AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Feb 2 - 08:03 PM

TP2012

O .

hero

Feb 3 - 10:11 AM

Ken W.

Ken Wolfson

We don't need no racist trash here. You killed that franchise

Feb 3 - 05:22 PM

K. Baudelaire

Kleber Baudelaire

These lists of directors are usually filled with unknown films, very conceptual... Cameron chooses famous and recognized films, how interesting.

Feb 2 - 03:09 PM

Quadzilla99

Aaron Yovanovits

I know; how dare he pick movies regular people have heard of!

Feb 3 - 02:13 AM

hugh m.

hugh mccarthy

your right, it's a very predictable list? shame!

Feb 3 - 12:03 PM

The Film Father

Steven Mihaljevich

Come on you freaks - its a great list! Wizard of OZ!!! yes!!! this shows he admires amazing imaginative and innovative fantasy which you can see has influenced his own films. Its also a films of tremendous heart and atmosphere.
Godfather - well , who can really deny that film if you are a film maker, it's a perfectly made film in every sense of the word.

Feb 19 - 05:05 AM

cleafus

michael stumpf

Fantastic list.

Jan 31 - 04:34 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

Not that these aren't all great films, though.

Jan 31 - 04:36 PM

Jack R.

Jack Russell

Feb 1 - 05:49 PM

dn_smith86

David Smith

Feb 1 - 06:23 PM

Stephen P.

Stephen Pagnucco

I absolutely agree with you dn_smith86, not all films are cliche.

Feb 1 - 07:46 PM

Scappy D.

Scappy Doo

You pretentious fucker.

Feb 2 - 01:54 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

The Wizard of Oz? Obscure?

Feb 2 - 03:12 PM

Erik L.

Erik Larson

ugh, go write a terrible screen play already

Feb 5 - 06:52 AM

dn_smith86

David Smith

I wonder if there's beer on the sun...

Feb 5 - 03:36 PM

Russell M.

Russell Morris

Mar 13 - 01:15 PM

THEREWOLF

Markus Arbutina

Good list. I hate when people say that lists are cliche. So what if someone likes popular movies.

Jan 31 - 04:37 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

Well, I can understand if you have one, or two, or three of these movies on your favorites list, but half the favorite films lists on RT are made up of some combination of a list of like, 10 movies.

Jan 31 - 04:44 PM

Turkish124

Jason Woods

This may be a crazy notion but I am gonna throw it out there anyways. Maybe it's because these are all really great movies...just maybe.

Jan 31 - 11:56 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

But if all the lists are generally the same, then it says absolutely nothing about the person, except that they like classics. And who doesn't?

Feb 1 - 07:24 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Kathryne, have you considered that the problem lies not with the person answering the question but in the question itself? What if each of these personalities were asked to choose their 5 favorite films within a certain category, such as for Cameron: pick your 5 favorite films with superb editing, or Mila Kunis: Pick your 5 favorite comedies... and so on. Blaming the individual for answering honestly is just ridiculous.

Feb 1 - 10:17 AM

xsilver

k cole

I dont mind people listing "cliche" movies in their top 10 list but what is needed is a proper explanation as to why. Real film lovers could give a very unique and personal interpretation whereas there would be stupid people that dont know what movie to pick and just pick these "cliched" ones without knowing why.

Feb 5 - 07:45 AM

filmfanatic

Chris Stanton

Playing it safe james

Jan 31 - 04:45 PM

MileZing

Dre M.

His picks are like Wheel of Fortune, RSTLN...and one vowel...an, an E! But it is his list, some of the best ever, and I'm not about to argue with the King of the World.

Feb 3 - 05:48 AM

Jay K.

Jay Kennedy

I think you hit the nail on the head. Not exactly cliche as pointed out above...but safe.

Not that I'm a Cameron fan in any way shape or form, but I did expect at least one spaghetti western from the creator of Aliens & Terminator 2.

Feb 4 - 03:33 AM

Jay K.

Jay Kennedy

Feb 4 - 03:34 AM

Jay K.

Jay Kennedy

Feb 4 - 03:34 AM

Brian B.

brian bunch

Not surprising. avater still reeks though.

Jan 31 - 04:47 PM

Slayer Of Light

daniel serper

You're a little late on the hate train, it already made close to 3 billion dollars.

Jan 31 - 07:26 PM

Kyle M.

Kyle Medbery

avatar is visually the most stunning movie ever made. how can you not appreciate that?!

Feb 1 - 12:52 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

Visually stunning, emotionally numbing...

See what I did there...

Feb 1 - 08:43 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

How can something that is visually stunning NOT stir your emotions?

See, I can do it too!

jimb14red

Michael Sullivan

No its not

Feb 1 - 07:08 PM

rle4lunch

Chad W

what a thought out and thought provoking response...

Feb 2 - 04:35 AM

John Matrix

John Matrix

"avatar is visually the most stunning movie ever made."
I'm not gonna lie, I LOL'd.

Feb 1 - 07:43 PM

Sean C. -The One Coz-

Sean Cosgrove

It may not be the most visually stunning film ever made but it is certainly in the running, especially if seen in 3D IMAX. F the haters Kyle you make a good point.

Feb 1 - 10:39 PM

AshCosgrove

Chris Dietz

Eh, it made more money in one weekend than you'll ever make in a year. How does that make you feel? Angry? Geez, no wonder you hate the movie.

Feb 3 - 08:19 AM

Stacks of Raisins

B Rea

Avatar was okay just like Dances with Wolves was okay...because they are the exact same story. Avatar just had alien natives.

Neat-o visuals, a well-constructed world, and a predictable, blah story that did nothing for me emotionally. Style with no substance, sadly. Most stunning visuals ever?

Not for me; The Third Man, Brazil, Blade Runner, 2001, Spirited Away, The Fall, Solaris...etc. All more stunning.

Feb 4 - 12:58 PM

Kevin B.

Kevin Baker

Thank you all for not liking Avatar, it felt like watching a nerdy Star Trek episode, and I'm a huge fan of Cameron. Too bad he's doing two sequels now, at least he's making Fox donate a percentage to the environment, he'll probably do more for that cause than any single person.

Feb 1 - 09:04 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

Me too Kevin.. A fan that is. Disappointed I was.

Feb 1 - 11:33 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Nice list, does not surprise me Cameron digs the classics.

Jan 31 - 05:57 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I'm surprised he didn't list: Avatar, Avatar 2, Titanic, Abyss and Terminator 2. :)

Jan 31 - 06:05 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

That would be really funny though.

Jan 31 - 06:24 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

According to Cameron, he's the KING OF THE WORLD!!! (exclamation points required) :)

Jan 31 - 08:39 PM

M Night Shyamalan

M Night Shyamalan

I'm surprised he didn't list: The Last Airbender, Devil, The Happening, Lady in the Water and The Village.

Jan 31 - 07:30 PM

Deanno

Dean Nelson

What a twist!

Jan 31 - 08:13 PM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

this guy's a riot lol

Feb 1 - 08:41 AM

zoe f.

zoe folkes

ok your not as bad as Justin Bieber.

Feb 3 - 02:41 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I always find it odd when people go with all these classic films. Really nothing in the last 35 years.

Jan 31 - 06:09 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Sometimes, the recent films are not as great as the classics. Like within my top ten the most recent is WALL-E from 2008.

Jan 31 - 06:23 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I agree, my own list runs the gamut, but I kind of feel sorry for people whose lists end like this. Basically he's saying no movie made in my lifetime was good enough to make his list. Mine runs from 1964-2006. Think Cameron was probably listing what he thought of as the best films instead of his favorites.

Jan 31 - 06:43 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

"Mine runs from 1964-2006"

Maybe misunderstanding you but your list only goes down to 1964? What about the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s & 1950s? Man, you are missing some fantastic if not legendary decades of films.

Feb 1 - 02:03 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I like movie's made before 1964, just none of them enough to crack my top 5 movie's of all time list, though a couple Bogart films do work their way in from time to time depending on my mood. Another reason I think I tend to favor later films is because being born in the late 70's I have a different view obviously than someone who was born in the 1940's or 50's who have fond nostalgic memories of that time associated with movie's that undoubtedly make up their favorites.

I'll admit I'm just playing a bit of amateur detective here, but I find it implausible that someone who loves movies as much as James Cameron obviously does wouldn't spout off a bit more detail if he was talking about the 5 films he enjoys most in the world rather than the 5 films he considers to be the best in the world. I totally buy these 5 films as someones best list, but if it's his favorites as I stated I find it odd that he doesn't have anything from the second half of his lifetime during the period when he was actually making movies.

Feb 1 - 05:09 AM

Dave J

Big Brother*********I think when James Cameron was asked about his five favs it was because he had somwhere else to go, perhaps the washroom and these are the ones he thought about from the top of his head!! Alot of my favorite films are made well before I was even born and the reason is because part of the fun about watching 'safe' films are the motivation about the reading material that comes with it or the requirements about what other people think! And I love to be challenged why some of these so called 'safe' films are lablelled as great, also the possibility other people can see it's significances you can't! Alot of people says "Blue Velvet" is a great film and I hated it because of what I've read and know about it which I'm quite aware one of the films selected to be studied in film schools throughout! i liked some of Lynch's films such as The Straight Story" and "Muholland Drive" but not that one!

Feb 1 - 02:42 PM

Dave J

``despite his being pressed for time`` there`s your answer for these blatant responses!

Feb 1 - 02:52 PM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

I disagree. I feel like sometimes people pretend that the "classics" didn't get their fair share of hate when they first came out. For instance, I was watching an interview on the Apocalypse Now Full Disclosure Edition, and Coppola said that it was bashed by critics when it came out in theatres back in 79. All these years later, it has developed a very solid fanbase and legacy. Trust me, everyone loves to hate today's pop films, but some of them will go through the same thing.

Jan 31 - 09:42 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

I saw Apocalypse Now when it came out and let me tell you, regardless of what Coppola said (I haven't seen the interview you mentioned)it was NOT universally or even mostly panned.

Apocalypse Now was considered a pretty good film by most critics and very much had an impact from jump. Now there was criticism about Brando's performance in the press which might be what FFC is talking about but make no mistake, this film is no Shawshank Redemption. People went to see it and it was very much talked about. It was easily considered a classic film by the 80's.

Feb 1 - 10:42 AM

ColinTheCimmerian

Colin Hay

I always kind of assumed that it happens a lot because many of the people they interview for Five Favorite Films are of the age that they would have seen these movies when they were young, and thus probably left quite an impression, perhaps even being a big part of why they became involved in film in the first place. Obviously Wizard of Oz was around before Cameron was, but the other four movies he mentioned would have been released when he was age 10-22. Most of my favourite movies were ones I first saw when I was between 6 and 16 I think, and nothing I've seen in the last 10 years or so has really struck the same kind of chord. I've really loved a lot of movies I've seen in the last decade, but if someone were to ask me my top 5 or 10, its the movies I first saw when I was younger that would come to mind first.

Jan 31 - 07:35 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Good call, I'm just going by my personal experience. I didn't really begin to appreciate film as an art form until much later in my life. When I was young I probably would have told you Transformers the Movie and Naked Gun were the best movie's ever made :)

Feb 1 - 05:13 AM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

I shudder to think of some of the movies and respective franchises that I used to watch regularly when I was much younger lol. Thankfully a few of my early favs have actually turned out to be 'classics' or by any reasonable standards half decent movies, Back to the Future, Terminator, Aliens etc

Feb 1 - 11:04 AM

Jeff S.C.

Jeff Caffey

I'm surprised he didn't just name five of his own movies.

Jan 31 - 06:14 PM

Jordan W

Jordan Wilson

soo true, haha

Feb 1 - 07:49 AM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

These are great pics, and I like all of them, too. It's not that unrealistic to think that Cameron would know his stuff.

Jan 31 - 06:21 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Wizard of Oz, nice!

Jan 31 - 06:21 PM

The Film Father

Steven Mihaljevich

Kevin B you are very strange. Heat better than Godfather? haha thats hilarious - its not even in the same league. Not in any speckle...ever....ever....ever

Feb 19 - 06:40 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Jan 31 - 06:23 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 31 - 06:43 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

"Mine runs from 1964-2006"

Feb 1 - 02:03 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Feb 1 - 05:09 AM

Feb 1 - 02:42 PM

Feb 1 - 02:52 PM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

Jan 31 - 09:42 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Feb 1 - 10:42 AM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

That would be really funny though.

Jan 31 - 06:24 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Jan 31 - 08:39 PM

eshwar_movies

Rameshwar No Last Name

He makes popular movies, hence his genre of movies will be similar.
If he says otherwise, either he is not loving his job (based on his interviews it does not look so) or he is lying (which he obviously is not).

Jan 31 - 06:40 PM

eshwar_movies

Rameshwar No Last Name

He makes popular movies, hence his genre of movies will be similar.

Jan 31 - 06:40 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 31 - 06:43 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

"Mine runs from 1964-2006"

Feb 1 - 02:03 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Feb 1 - 05:09 AM

Feb 1 - 02:42 PM

Feb 1 - 02:52 PM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

How dare he have popular favorites.

Jan 31 - 06:46 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Lol I completely agree with your sentiment.

Whats even more ironic is that when you actually consider the films that he listed, most of them would not have been seen by a large percentage of the general public. These are films well known and often viewed by avid film fans but not often viewed by the average movie-goer.

Thats why I get PO when posters call lists generic, cliche, [insert stupid comment here] etc etc

Feb 1 - 01:09 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

It's pretty much a no win situation around here. If you list obscure movies you're being pretentious. If you list popular classics you're playing it safe. And don't even think about listing fluff movies. It's called favorite films, not Best films and not Films You Think Others Will Appreciate. Lastly, this is often a question that is tossed at someone at the end of an interview so they're coming up with this off the top of their head. If they sat down to write a blog or a thesis the list might be a bit different. No one posting here would be any different.

Feb 1 - 07:31 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

You hit the mail on the head.

Feb 1 - 10:45 AM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Well said, DJ

Feb 1 - 10:54 AM

scarletwebslingr

Harrison Foreman

I think what bothers me about these celebrity movie lists is that many of them just don't seem natural. Reading Amy Adam's list, for instance, which included the silly film "Pauli," felt a lot more honest than some others. I'm sure there are cases where people honestly love a particular overly-credible film(s), but this is a chance to show off and self-shape an image to fans and on-lookers, and it seems some celebrities, Cameron among them, is doing exactly that. I know I'm not a mind-reader and could be completely wrong about this in some cases, but it just appears as if number of these guys list what they think are the top greatest films and not their top favorites. And yes there is a difference.

Feb 1 - 11:55 AM

Box Office Wrapup
Box Office Wrapup

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>