Santa Claus Conquers the Martians - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians Reviews

December 31, 2014
A cult Christmas classic, "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" concerns Martians and their selfish, perturbed children who have no fun and hope that Santa's goodwill will come to their planet. The Martians come to Earth, kidnap some kids, then Santa, and take them back to their planet. Some of the Martians dislike the idea of letting Santa on their planet, and plot to kill him and the children, but are thwarted time and again. The film isn't inherently bad: it has a logical plot, the performances aren't all that bad, and it's message of letting kids have fun is inspiring. The reason it's so ridiculous is the premise itself. That and the costuming is horrible, like, ridiculously bad. The Martians are all in green-face, the elves are all dwarves, and the Martian children look and sound like practiced wind-up dolls. While this isn't the best bad movie it's rather entertaining and fun for the entire family, even with its constant plot device of children killing alien life forms.
December 20, 2010
I just happened to catch this movie on TV the other night, unfortunately. It's got an interesting story, which may have been the inspiration for Disney's new movie Mars Needs Moms, because in this movie the kids of mars need a Santa. This movie is complete cheese, with bad actors, dialogue, special effects, directing, the works! An interesting bad movie, though.
July 6, 2009
In the right company and with loads of "adult" beverages, this one could be a scream. But watch it alone and you'd wish you were dead just to escape a world that would allow crap like this to be produced.
April 3, 2008
The ultimate Christmas cheese!
½ January 12, 2008
Some films are so bad, they're funny. Some films are so bad, they're just BAD.
January 3, 2008
Hooray For Santy Claus... err, no. This movie is beyond terrible. Try to cram Plan Nine From Outer Space, The Three Stooges, and some general Yuletide Spirit into a single film, and this monstrosity shambles into being like a man in badly-made Polar Bear costume.

Be sure to take a lot of eggnog before undertaking this one, and it just might be more entertaining than watching a Yule Log.

Be warned: no actual conquering occurs in this film in any way, shape or form. It's "Miracle on 34th Street", only 34th street has been replaced with Mars somehow.
July 15, 2007
Bad in a cheap and boring way. Some of the characters were mighty annoying. My favorite sequence was the opening song "Hooray for Santy Claus", which was too awesome. The movie itself is just dumb, and nothing the cult-movie cravers should even consider.
½ June 3, 2007
Incredibly crap, but another piece of waste turned classic thanks to the guys at Mystery Science Theatre 3000. Can't help but laugh. One of the best of the bads.
½ December 23, 2014
"Hooray for Santy Claus!" Extraordinarily awful and hysterically funny, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is insanity wrapped in a bow. The plot is beyond idiotic; finding that their children have forgotten how to play and have fun, a group of Martians go to Earth to abduct Santa Claus in the hopes that he'll be able to revive their children's spirits. The acting is atrocious, but not as bad as the makeup and costumes, which are horrendous (even for '60s sci-fi). Yet it's all made infinitely worse by how seriously the film takes itself. Though it's terrible in every way possibly, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is too ridiculous to hate and is just begging to be laughed at (which is actually kind of fun).
½ October 22, 2010
If you took a director with an idea to mix sci-fi with Christmas, stir in a couple of D-list actors, and some of your local community theater rep company, (including the lighting, sound and set construction crews) and put them together to do a Christmas story, this would be the result. It's so incredibly inept and lame, yet you can see it, plain as day: They were utterly sincere! It was somebody's belief that it would be a hit, and it was someone's labor of love.

It's like those people on American Idol that can't sing, and are completely deluded, that's how bad it is. Someone ought to have told them. Someone ought to have accidentally lost the negatives.

But wait, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians gave life to a really good episode of MST3K; so that's one positive. It has a happy ending, that's two positives. It's really very inoffensive, that's three positives.

In fact, it's risen above how bad it is to become a really enjoyable thing to watch at the sheer awfulness. In other words, it really does have some of the Christmas spirit in it: It will make you laugh, or at least you'll be able to fall asleep on Christmas Eve watching it, with visions of really creepy guys in green suits and bad makeup dancing in your head.

I give it 10% because it's 100% better than a zero for comic relief. Apologies to the West Minnetonka Community Theater Company for making fun of their sets. (They disavow all knowledge of this film)

PS DO NOT show this film to your kids. They may be permanently scarred, and become somewhat Scrooge-like in their later years.
½ December 19, 2010
Wow. I'm not sure what to say. Oh wait, yes I do - I'll never watch this again!
July 10, 2009
Good enough to make fun of and laugh at with friends
½ December 7, 2008
It's what you'd expect. A great curio, a bad movie. A great bad movie as well.
September 11, 2011
Ridiculous Holiday/Science Fiction/Fantasy B-movie about Martians who decide they want Christmas too and steal Santa from Earth. The movie is just terrible, but it can be quite fun if you want a laugh.
December 21, 2010
This one of those movies one can categorize as "so bad it's good" but I must add that it really resembles a Lollywood flick, yes it's just as shitty, but has a charm to it or is it just the awe in which the spectator will be amazed scene after scene asking him or herself "how did they?" to end with "how the hell did I even watch this piece of crap?".

Yes, it's terrible and I don't recommend it, but if you happen to come across it beware, cos you're certain to stick through it all the way to the end.

I deserve a full star for the balls shown by not throwing it in a bonfire.
March 23, 2009
I understand the film title is Santa Claus Conquers The Martians, but these aliens will have to kidnap the jolly old man first. No one on Mars is receiving presents on the holidays so when the kids are glued to the TV set showing Earth programs the plan is carried out. And coming along with Santa are two Earth kids "vanished into thin air" before Christmas Eve. This is another case of cheesy campfest I've ever watched, and the opening and closing song is somewhat the corniest tune I've ever heard in such film. If the studio sets here are too cheap to produce, so is the budget. My verdict? I actually like this campfest.
½ December 5, 2009
I'm really surprised to not see Ed Wood's name not attached to this garbage. I wish I would have seen the MST3K version because at least I would have had a laugh. This really is one of the worst movies every made. From horrible costumes, bad set and even worse acting, I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when they were showing this movie to the studio exec that green lighted this. This is even a bad movie for children.
½ October 11, 2009
This movie is such complete nonsense. It makes pretty good viewing if you're making fun of it with a friend, but as far as actual quality of movie goes... well, there isn't any. Also, be forewarned: At no point does any conquering actually happen during this movie. I know I, for one, was quite disappointed by that.
½ September 17, 2009
"Hooray for Santy Claus!" That's the main lyric in the theme song for this movie and it certainly is catchy. The rest of the movie feels so disjointed it's no wonder IMDB lists this as the only movie written by the 2 writers of this masterpiece and one of the 50 worst movies ever made.
Martian children who watch Earth TV (?) are upset that they have no Santa. Their wise elder has foreseen this and says Christmas must come to Mars. So of course, Martians kidnap Santa. Boredom ensues.
There didn't feel to be any cohesiveness with the story as it sort of goes from one plot point to another, to another, clumsily.

Note the same scene stock footage of the Air Force in Dr. Strangelove was used in this movie.
½ July 23, 2009
Oh goodness, what a great camp classic! Honestly, how can you seriously take a movie called "Santa Clause Conquers the Martians" as anything short of a silly, so-bad-it's-good time? A must-watch around the holidays, with or without the MST3K crew.