Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town Reviews

December 11, 2011
A really wonderful Christmas special from Rankin and Bass. I kind of wish I had these growing up, but I'm glad they are still around today. Fred Astaire plays a mailman that decides to educate us about the origins of Santa Claus. This was done in a very original way, and handled a lot of the traditions in a way I hadn't heard before. In the town of Somber, toys are outlawed. Enter Kris Kringle, a man raised by Elves that love to make toys and have no way of delivering them. We are introduced to some wonderful chaarcters, such as The Winter Warlock and Topper the lost penguin. The songs aren't as memorable as other specials, but the film has so much creativity and charm that I was taken in by it all. Will certainly be promoted to my yearly watchings.
michael e.
December 13, 2010
A fantastic film from the minds of Rankin Bass that is very creative and has great plot, characters, comedy, songs, and animation, and one more thing BURGERMEISTER MEISTERBURGER, that is all
flixsterman
½ December 29, 2008
A true Christmas classic and a holiday season "must-watch" at my house. I'm not sure how many times I've seen it, but I know the words to EVERY song in it. (ho ho ho)
puffchunk
½ November 30, 2007
Creative ideas behind old kris kringle, but also pretty creepy. Kids must sit on his lap and pay the fine of a kiss to him for presents from a stranger? Yikes. But it teaches us that we can change the world by giving people toy trains, for all evil dictators and cold hearted women can't resist a wooden piece of crap.
August 8, 2007
A boring Christmas special from Rankin-Bass, which doesn't come close to the greatness of Rudolph and Frosty. The supposed history of Santa Claus depicted here just wasn't too magical or interesting. I sold the DVD promptly.
½ May 21, 2007
The story of Santa Claus. My second favorite Christmas show, after A Christmas Carol.
sanjurosamurai
January 25, 2007
the best christmas movie of all time
½ December 23, 2011
Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town stands as the best of the stop-motion animated Christmas classics. Featuring the talents of Fred Astaire, Mickey Rooney, and the Westminster Children's Choir, this feature is excellently cast. The story is particularly clever in creating an origin story that interweaves and explains all the elements of the Santa Claus mythology: the red suit, flying reindeer, Christmas stockings, etc. The animation is especially well-done and is charming in an old-fashioned way. Additionally, the music plays well with the story and adds to its enjoyment. Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town is an enjoyable romp that sparks the magic of childhood.
December 3, 2012
Classic holiday special
½ September 28, 2011
It is extremely slow-paced, but overall Tim Allen can't touch this. This is a very honest very family friendly "re-telling" of Santa Claus. A definite recommend.
December 16, 2006
Mickey Rooney as Santa= yuck, but the the movie is a classic.
½ December 9, 2010
Although I'm not normally a fan of this type of animation, I enjoyed the story they created to explain santa claus.
July 28, 2009
Not one of the ones you can watch every year but cute.
½ December 11, 2007
This movie is awesome, the story of Santa Claus, how can you resist! Best of All it's Narrated by Fred Astaire.
½ September 17, 2007
A super classic Christmas tale...still makes me tear up!
January 2, 2014
My favorite Rankin/Bass special and one of my all time favorite Christmas movies! So much nostalgia and joy for me when I watch this. I love the characters, the songs, and the story so much! When I was a child, THIS was the Santa Claus I wanted to believe in!
December 6, 2015
Creative, fun, and utterly harmless. When I think of the classic Rankin and Bass TV Christmas specials, I don't think of "Rudolph" or "Frosty the Snowman," but I immediately think of this lovely little gem.
February 13, 2010
One of those must-watch television specials for every holiday season! I do just that, and the magic never seems to fade. (First viewing - Childhood)
½ October 18, 2014
Another great video craft production animation tv short. I love it and try too wAtch it every year but don't have time, awesome.
December 28, 2013
One of the great Rankin/Bass Christmas specials with great songs, memorable characters, good voice work, and a solid story about the origins of Santa Claus. A must every Christmas.