Santa Claus: The Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Santa Claus: The Movie Reviews

November 24, 2015
A must watch for christmas pure classic
February 12, 2015
Amazing production design (for its time) fails to help what is an incredibly weak story.
½ February 7, 2015
jon lithglow with hair!!! where's Rudolph? aside from that a traditional & warming take on santa
March 6, 2013
I watched this every year as a child, and I still do each year now, that has to mean its very good
July 1, 2007
My favorite Christmas film from childhood. Perhaps it doesn't hold up as well now, but it has the definitive Santa and Santa folklore. Dudley Moore is adorable, John Lithgow is deliciously bad. I agree the pacing isn't the greatest, and it feels a little disjointed. But although the pieces don't fit together perhaps as well as they should, and they should have cut the ridiculous "Super Duper Looper", there are some beautiful, funny and inventive parts to love every Christmas viewing.

"When you give extra kisses, you get bigger hugs."
December 25, 2012
Screw the Tomatometer! I love this movie! I loved it when I was kid and I'll continue to love it until I'm dead. Defiantly a great holiday classic!
½ December 20, 2014
What a colossal mess this movie was! Despite having the movie be called Santa Claus, it really has very little to do with him at all. Certainly not one to put on the classic shelf, this is pure bargain bin.
½ November 28, 2014
I expected so much more. I felt that the opening song and the exterior look of the North Pole were enchanting, but the rest of the movie was quite the opposite. Very dated and almost unwatchable. (First and only viewing - 11/29/2014)
½ August 31, 2014
Christmas movies have never really been my thing, but in my opinion, few of them are more notoriously bad than "Santa Claus: The Movie". The makers of the original "Superman" epic poured millions of dollars into this misguided, ill-concieved dud that is completely devoid of joy, magic or the Christmas spirit.

It's really two movies in one, with the first one dealing with the myth of jolly St. Nick and the second one a more modern take on the commercialization of the holiday. Neither are any good. The first half is dark and dreary, as Santa and his wife are apparently the spirit of a deceased couple who make gifts for the children in their village.

The second half has more in common with "Halloween 3" than the Grinch, as a scenery-chewing John Lithgow attempts to take over the world with an insidious new toy. That would hardly seem like the makings of a new holiday classic, and you'd be right. The entire film is drenched in unbearable schmaltz, trying to manipulate the audience into feeling the joy of Christmas, but none of it feels authentic. You'd get more honest emotion out of a Hallmark movie-of-the-week, and the special effects are just atrocious.

After you stop to consider that by some reports, the filmmakers spent $50 million on this, you have to wonder just where all of that money went. certainly they had to make a small fortune from Coke and McDonald's for the embarrassing product placement. Nobody involved in the production of this turkey apparently had any shame. "Santa Claus: The Movie" alternates between being depressingly dull and glaringly garish. It seems like the people behind it were more concerned with selling lunchboxes than celebrating the spirit of the season.
December 20, 2013
This films starts off with some promise, but then degenerates into a morality tale about the over commercialization of Christmas. I suppose Dudley Moore did a good job with his role. It's a pity that little of the work he did in Hollywood, was ever well received.
December 24, 2013
Impossible to have grown up not loving this movie.
December 17, 2013
An evil elf disappointed with the lousy toys in Santa's workshop goes to work for an evil toy tycoon. Odd movie children might seem either dull or hard to follow for lack of real good guys. Dudley Moore as the elf seems to be well cast, though.
December 13, 2013
It feels like there were two scripts combined into one here. It definitely could have used a re-write. However, there is a certain charm to this movie. It is entertaining enough.
December 14, 2012
A great movie that has been unfairly criticised over the years, a wonderful magical film for all the family to enjoy.
December 9, 2013
That ONE star is solely and completely devoted to John Lithgow's performance.... absolutely brilliant.
December 8, 2013
The mediocre snoozefest is only elevated by John Lithgows spectacular hammy performance (yesterday's marathon entry)
May 4, 2013
Okay, to me this felt like two movies. The first half is very good. It sets up how a Mr. Claus became Santa, from how he started as just some old timer delivering wooden figurines to Children one night a year, to every thing we know about him now. How the Top Elf came along and how the first year everyone got a gift, but how Mrs. Claus suggested a Naughty or Nice be read twice. How they got the reindeer to fly and how he visits every child in one night. All that was great and Huddleston sounds and acts like every story always suggests Santa would be like. He's terrific.

But the film loses some of that magic when the Top Elf is demoted and moves to a city to help a shady toy creator make some new toys. Lithgow hams it up like crazy.

It's around this part where we begin to see this sub plot about a homeless boy Santa befriends. He tells Santa he has no family, no home, no money and no food...and Santa basically leaves him behind only to return a year later to bring him a wooden figurine??? This just angered me. You set up the whole first half that Santa is this great man who loves all kids and making them happy, but he doesn't do anything to help the boy to NOT be a bum?

Add in some really awful effects, the flying letters looked animated even!

It's decent but nothing I'd ever watch again. And the message to kids that we don't need to help the homeless is just an awful part of this movie.
April 8, 2013
one of the best Christmas movies of all times
December 27, 2012
Looks nice, but doesn't make a lot of sense.
December 29, 2012
i alwaysy love this christmas film dont no y but it amazin