Sátántangó (Satan's Tango) Reviews

½ September 9, 2012
Though the hyperbolic running time will certainly be a barrier for many viewers, those with patience to spare may find this a visually stunning, spellbinding and darkly wry film that reveals so much about human nature as it follows a group of static, miserable lives caught in the relentless grip of Tarr's hopelessness and nihilism.
rubystevens
November 16, 2008
yes it's worth seven hours of your life
Cameron W. Johnson
½ August 8, 2013
"Hungry Hungry Hungarians" is probably something that I would say more shamelessly if this film was exciting as the drama bout famine that looks like it's going to be from its "Angela's Ashes"-looking poster (Man, Erika Bók made for one ugly little girl, now she's a somehow even uglier woman... with all due respect). Speaking of a little crazy, I've heard Jack Nicholson ask Batman if he's ever "danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight", but this Beelzebuboogie is ridiculous, and I really, really, really mean "ridiculous"! Yeah, references to Tim Burton's "Batman" might not be the best way to let people know that I'm credible enough to say that I know more about this art epic than the overrating critics, but really, people, calm down, because I feel like I understand what's going on. If my assumption of Béla Tarr's intentions are correct, then this film is a runaway success as an immersive art drama that draws you into the devastating and long tyranny of a Communism in Hungary by forcing you through tedious monotony which goes on forever and pretty much has to be praised because everyone says it's great. Well, I don't know if I can say that this film forces you to do anything, because you don't have to suffer through it, yet that hasn't stop the snobby critics or, well, me, that one jerk who hated sitting through this (Thank goodness I had the internet on the side). Hey, I just did it for the story (They seriously do have t-shirts that read, "I Survived 'Sátántangó'"), and by that, I don't just mean that I was trying to figure out some way to give this film a story. It's [b][u]"seven hours... and a quarter long"[/b][/u] (I like to tack that on), so either I'm committed or need to be committed, but either way, this film is all but impossible, and yet, I wouldn't be throwing in that "all but" part were it not for some strengths that are hard to deny, seeing as how they're bashed over your head for well over seven hours... outside of the unevenly used score.

No matter how sprawling it may be, the film is mostly a dead-quiet meditation upon very little, if anything, that relies on atmosphere more than anything when it comes to reinforcing the intrigue that is actually thinned into dissipation by the thoughtfulness, so score composer and, interestingly enough, starring actor Mihály Vig's are mighty underused, and when it finally does come into play, there's not a whole lot that's special about it, but make no mistake, there are, in fact, some special aspects regarding this film's very sparse musical aspects, which deliver on anything from relatively livelier compositions which are intentionally disjointed in a way that doesn't get too carried away for you to disregard the entertaining musical uniqueness that colors things up a bit, to a certain brooding minimalism which captures the somber intensity of certain moments. Needless to say, Gábor Medvigy's cinematography is a much more recurring compliment to the film's tone, and even then, the black-and-white color of the white limits visual style, while director Béla Tarr's abusive misuse of the photography for the sake of questionable artistic touches that I'll touch more upon later dilute your appreciation for the film's visual style entirely, though not so much so that you can ever completely deny the film's good looks, as the limited color captures the bleak grit of the film, while moments of sharp play with sparse lighting prove to be gorgeous. Musicality is unevenly used and sometimes misused, and visual style is about as often misused as it is attractive, so if nothing else is consistent at bringing some kind of life to this tiresome drama, it's the performances, because when I say that this film has no script, I literally mean that this film just had a script for the sake of having a script, so most of what material there is was improvised, and while there are times where the improvisation gets to be about as aimless as the "story"telling surrounding the performances (One of the film's more entertaining moments is some guy dancing the tango and chanting on and on about how his mother is the sea, his father is the earth, and his life is the tango... over, and over, and over again), on the whole, the improvisation allows the performers to bond with their roles and bring them the characters to life as best they can, sometimes with enough effectiveness to inspire some kind of compellingness. There are strengths in this film, it's just that they're so outweighed by the missteps, and for an impossibly unreasonable amount of time at that, yet you can spot them here and there, especially when they go backed by a rarity: an effective moment in the telling of what story there is. I wouldn't say that the film is quite as unwatchable as something like "La Commune (Paris, 1871)", because even though this is the much longer and slower film, it eventually comes to some kind of an action, while "La Commune" actually has the audacity to, whether it be through anachronisms or fourth wall breaks, actively repel you from the conceptually weighty story, and while this film is by no means too much more inspired, you rarely completely forget the importance of this film's subject matter, and are certainly reminded when Béla Tarr steps up to the plate as director, playing with the airtight framing in a way that you grow tired of the more shots linger, but sometimes proves to be effective in immersing you, much like plays with haunting sound that generally provide white noise to exacerbate the drowsiness suffered throughout this seven-hour+ struggle, but sometimes subtly define the harsh, bleak tone of the film with a certain minimalist tastefulness. That's right, people, the film is seven hours and a quarter of arrogant and abusive tedium on a level beyond comprehension, and the best thing that you can say about it is that it is sometimes depressing, but make no bones about it, the patient are bound to run into a few moments that give you a drop of what the pretentious critics could be talking about, limited though they may be. Of course, on the whole, this film requires just too much blasted patience to only have a few enjoyable moments, and while there is enough realization to the film for it to not be an unpalatable torture, watching this film is a challenge that I can't even begin to recommend, because it doesn't even handle plotting all that well when it actually does take on something resembling a story.

There is a whole lot more plodding than plotting in this mindlessly aimless snooezefest of over-experimentation, but if you want to say that there is something of a story structure, you should note that the film is divided into twelve segments (Yes, twelve segments in a little under eight hours; Transatlantic's "The Whirlwind" is starting to sound a whole lot shorter) that all connect in some fashion, but often just barely, with the most consistent aspect within each segment being padding so considerable that you have trouble remembering and getting invested in the segment you're watching at the moment, let alone the other segments, resulting in focal unevenness, a term I use pretty loosely, because there's any focus in this film. There's a whole lot of rambling, but hardly any exposition, and a whole lot of wandering, but hardly any direction, so what you end up with is a sprawling character drama that pays only so much focus to its characters, which would be easier to forgive if there weren't so many extra-distancingly questionable character actions, most of which are forced in to supplement the artistic "story"telling. Whether they're whispering dialogue much too often or just standing around doing nothing much longer than your average Joe, the characters come off as not too much more than mere components to the artistic steadiness which drives this non-narrative, though you quickly forget this, certainly not because the characters are well-handled enough to be ever so slightly less than thoroughly unengaging, but because questionable characterization is overshadowed by a substantially more problematic component to the film's deliberate steadiness, a torturously bone-dry atmosphere, whose thoughtful attention to the environment proves to be occasionally immersive, but mostly dulls things down beyond belief, not sometimes, or often, or half of the time, or even three quarters of the time, but nearly throughout the entirety of this film whose running time is among the longest in cinematic history. Limply paced and utterly quiet, if you're lucky (Oh, the unbearable white noise of rain, wind and footsteps, so many footsteps), this film has been called by many to be consistently engrossing, and that statement is so beyond conceivability that it qualifies more as a blatant factual inaccuracy than a questionable opinion, because the film is always bland, to one degree or another, and is mostly boring, and I would be more willing to forgive that and conclude that the final product is, I don't know, mediocre or something, - like such other tedious, but reasonably tasteful art pieces as, say, "Wings of Desire", or "Days of Heaven", or whatever - were it not for there being an unthinkable amount of time to think about how boring this all is. At about seven hours and a quarter, or 435 minutes, or 26100 seconds, or 26100000 milliseconds, or 26100000000 microseconds, or 26100000000000 nanoseconds... give or take, this film takes on relatively minimalist subject matter and, somewhere along the way, ends up being one of the longest feature films of all time (It's certainly the longest film I've ever seen; why couldn't it have stayed something as awesome as "The Best of Youth"?), and as you can imagine, it doesn't do so easily, bloating itself to a mind-numbingly monotonous point, partly through excess material, and largely through long, long, long periods of absolutely nothing but nothing, most of which don't even give you the common courtesy of changing angles, because even with this film's unreal runtime of about seven hours and a quarter, Tarr himself has stated that there are "[u]well under 200[/u]" shots throughout the final product, which often spends minutes, upon minutes, upon minutes on showcasing imagery as eventful as walking, or mumbling, or a cat falling asleep (They portray the sedation of the cat as a poisoning, and sure, it's convincing and all, but after a while, even my cat-adoring self more-or-less stopped caring), or on imagery that is nothing more than an impossibly overlong scenery shot, and if you think that I'm exaggerating, if anything, I'm grossly understating how exhaustingly comical this film's "artistic" meditations are. Between the opening credits and an introductory narration is a slowly wandering tracking shot of cows making their way across the farm around which this film's "story" is mostly centered that runs for, not one minute, or three minutes, or even the five minutes that I've once heard someone say they "felt" the sequence ran... but [b][u]eight minutes[/b][/u], and right there, Béla Tarr lets you know what to expect: tediously dull, exhaustingly overdrawn and mind-numbingly misguided abuse of an artistic license, though that's not to say that Tarr tells you that you don't have to endure this film from then on, because even though I feel some sense of relief to find that there is more of a sense of "charming" ambition to this film and less of a sense of crushing pretense than I feared, there's still some air of arrogance throughout this film, as if Tarr truly is proud of what he has done, and done wrong, and all that leaves you to do is further meditate even more upon problems that couldn't get any more glaring without the pretense, and can't get too much more grating with the pretense. The film is not quite as unwatchable as I feared, but it's just too artistically misguided to be nearly as enjoyable as it probably should have been, and films like this almost shake my faith in my dream job, because, as a film critic, I sometimes just don't feel right being associated with a community that, in a fashion believed to be brilliant, rather than downright stupid, lauds something as an artistic revelation, or genius, or, Lord forbid, one of the greatest cinematic triumphs of all time just for being different, when really, it's nothing more than torturously overblown abuse of snobbiness behind what could be anything from an intellectual making a stroke of utter artistic insanity, to some kind of a sick joke which tests both the endurance of rational moviegoers and the level of the pretentious' ignorance, but is either way barely watchable for an hour-and-a-half, a waste of time at two-and-a-half hours, infuriating at three hours and the ultimate challenge to patience at about seven hours and a quarter, and while, with the help of the glory that is internet time-killing, I was able to qualify for an "I Survived 'Sátántangó'" t-shirt, I certainly had no investment in this disaster, and grew to not even humor it with any beyond the barest minimum of my attention, if that, because while this film would have been worse were it not for the value of its subject matter and some other genuine highlights, it aimlessly rambles on and on about how life is precious, or something, then wastes much too much of precious time out of your life.

When the tango is done, leaving you to not want to do anything outside of fall on the floor exhausted (If I wasn't out of shape before, sitting here this long just has to have thinned out my muscle tone a bit), you struggle to reflect on the decent, if tremendously underused score work, handsome, if tremendously misused, committed, if very much underwritten performances (Seriously, there was more-or-less no script handy), and highlights in direction which do justice to conceptually worthy subject matter, and you're bound to come up with enough to commend for the final product to not be any worse than really bad, but through unevenness within whatever focus there is, questionable characterization and punishing dullness, all packed within an impossibly monotonous runtime that runs well over seven hours and is mostly achieved through comically misguided meditations upon nothing but nothing that go consistently backed by a certain self-righteousness to Béla Tarr's otherwise mostly dead-cold atmosphere, "Sátántangó" falls spectacularly flat as a disturbingly overappreciated disaster which wastes all but mere moments of a considerable deal of precious time.

1.5/5 - Bad
½ September 16, 2010
I actually watched this over a week, watching an hour a day. Some people have said this isn't the right way to watch it, but for me it was.

I have trouble paying attention to long movies, especially ones like this, so I was actually paying attention to each hour, before getting to the point where I stop concentrating.

It was boring. I LOVE long takes, but these were just pointless. The scene with the cat made me cringe, because animal cruelty makes me cry like a baby.
½ October 2, 2013
Its seven-hour runtime warns off dabblers, the one-screening-a-day bulk defies profit motive, and its protagonists -- Tarr's "poor, ugly, sad, and damned people" -- deny expectations of pleasure. It is also, at times, funny as hell.
August 5, 2009
A rural town has its betraying and drunken inhabitants at the center of attention when a pair of previously thought deceased denizens are heard to soon arrive. Among much of the town's mistakes and uncontrolled actions is one which will cost it further betrayal and the citizens' way of life.

There is a good amount of talent involved with Satantango. At such lengths a film obviously needs a cast to perform impeccably by means of natural, professional and improvised performances, cinematography that outdoes most of the attempts from films of the new millennium, and its sound design to be spellbinding and otherworldly or at least emotive in a sense so that viewers can stay connected if not through pace.

Satantango does have its cast, photography and other share of things to boot but its mixture of conventional and unconventional filming causes fluctuations between godlike moments and granted ones. The film judged as a whole didn't create much greatness though I believe it deserves a higher rating (A perfect one) because of multiple scenes that warrant it. Individually rating scene by scene and coming up with an average would more or less be the manner in which I rated it. Because of any possible deterrents from full enjoyment and appreciation, I've decided to rewatch it perhaps in ten years seeing as how I've only been interested in art house for two.

Multiple shots, as previously mentioned, are expertly crafted and composed. I'll say my favorite is the opening where cows spontaneously herd from a warehouse to the field, all of this set to an entrancing, lulling sound of chiming, humming bells. This scene like various, various scenes in the rest of the film captures naturalistic instances: the cows wander a moment in mud and their footsteps echo loudly; some cows moo and its echo sounds beautiful; others attempt to mate. Scenes are not always as peaceful and metaphorical but they are impressively long and shot in one take. (This and the non-linear structure as well as the re-creation of scenes from different angles were a major influence on Gus Van Sant.)

It is unconventional in the sense that characters are truly fully developed, moments taking from ten to twenty minutes focusing on one individual almost like a novel. This character development is paired with the storyline, a conventional act that I did not wholly find interest in. It is not the story's fault; I have my personal taste. Most scenes where the photography dulled and characters spoke back and forth were anchored in an unnecessary realism with myself fully aware that there was a camera filming said characters. But as it is I'll still declare it a mammoth achievement as I felt it more of a three-hour movie. It would be interesting to see this style and manner of film making under surrealism.

Lastly, I have to address the child actor (The one on the cover) who was shockingly talented for her age. She elicits a psychotic unease with her naturalistic actions (Real time feline abuse) and facial expressions.
½ February 12, 2011
Has its moments, then leaves the camera there so you can watch the character walk away for 3 minutes, then does that again every time. Political statement? Maybe, I don't know. But then the characters start spouting out weird crap, and they're all dumber than shit, so that helps. Then we can watch the horses mill around the town square for 3 more minutes. Then we can watch another guy take a piss. Then we'll watch the fat doctor sit in his chair and wheeze (OOOH does he represent the old, dying old guard of old stuff? DEEP! Or maybe he's just a fat old man, I don't know, I haven't read the book.) Then some people will drink and get drunk a lot, and maybe throw up in the rain, or dance, and then throw up. But I know for sure one of them will have to take a piss soon, because they drank a LOT. Here's a kid torturing a cat, then she ingests some rat poison and that allows one of the stupid characters to spout some bullshit to trick all the dumber people into giving him more money. Fun fact: leaving the camera on a child actress for 10 minutes when her character is supposed to be dead reveals that she is still breathing. Of course, I realize she is not really dead in real life, but I'm saying editing would have actually made sense there. But since this is not afforded to us, the audience, the movie keeps on plodding, and so shall I. Another ugly, frumpy person just did something frumpy, let's watch them walk away. Here is a nice crane shot of it still raining, because it rains for a long time in Hungary. Did we mention it rains a lot here? It rains a lot here. Did we tell you it rains here? It rains here. Did we ever tell you about the rain here? It rains here. One shot of guys walking down a street being pushed along by the wind not enough? Here's another one, 4 hours later. This time there's a 3rd gentleman walking in the shot, so it's like a totally different shot. Here's some more dopey dialogue. AND SCENE! Really, a lot of nice shots in the movie, but then again the law of averages basically guarantees that. A lot of redundancy for the sake of art, I guess, and it's not fair to say there's no plot here, that's not the case, it's just that it is occasionally lost in the surge of repetitive imagery. Jeanne Dielman showed more restraint.
February 17, 2010
You know that feeling when you just finished a marathon? You finished in the 10th percentile, but you don?t give a damn, you finished damn it, so screw your ex-girlfriend who said you?d never amount to anything. Well, I don?t know that feeling either, but I think that?s the feeling I?d have after completing Sátántangó. Seven long ? but highly gratifying ? hours were spent on the couch, eyes glued to the picture mover (but not in succession, I had to keep my sanity somehow.)

Sátántangó is comprised of 12 chapters (to call them vignettes would be an understatement). The first six moving forward story wise, but following taking on another person?s POV. Until doubling back, and following the same people only in reverse. The structure borrows from (OMG!) the tango: six moves forward, six moves back. It?s very interesting, can only be taken true advantage of in a film of this length. It?s the only way you really get to know the characters.

One such chapter in particular really struck a cord with me. Felfesl?k (Those Coming Unstitched) follows Estike (Erika Bók) around on a short tale of betrayal and death. Being coerced by one, who we can only assume is her older brother, she?s lead to believe planting money underground and watering will grow the money tree. She returns a few days later and discovers the money was taken, and used by aforementioned older person. Her face to discover the betrayal, without reason might I add, truly saddened me. Of course she can?t fight back, so her only way to cope is to inflict pain on a poor cat. And that?s a key issue in the film: bullying. The bigger powers take advantage of the little, for no reason whatsoever, only because they can. It?s quite reminiscent to the Bush Doctrine, except America always has a ?reason.? I?d never go as far to say that America?s evil goes as far as the Soviet Union?s, but it sure as hell gets close. I?d hate to digress into some rant about America and our perverse concept of American Exceptionalism, but I can?t help but to find some allegorical similarity whenever a film takes on politics. It kills me just to think of Dragan Marinkovic?s satire The Bizarre Country (1988, Yugoslavia). If you can manage to find a copy, I highly suggest that film. Anyway?

It?s hard to be coherent when writing about a film you?re still digesting, but I do know this: Sátántangó is a film experience that can?t be matched. There are moments of boredom, do not get me wrong, but that?s more to do with Tarr?s need to stay stagnant on a particular shot, and all I want is for him to move on. I know why he does it, and frankly, commend his bravery, but after five hours, sometimes all you want is for things to progress. Save for that little complaint, this is a damn fine film, and deserves all it?s deification.
½ April 23, 2007
Somewhat uneven. The tango-like structure and extremely long dead time are pretty awesome in showing the futile inertia of the community. However whenever some douche in the film opens their mouth it becomes laughable. It's very effective in carving out large chunks of time, which is really above all what the film is about. I'm not sure what the scene near the end featuring the writers discussing the characters was for. I thought I had seen enough rain in this film to last a season, but I left the theater only see it was pouring outside (plus an ominous sound of bell towing).
February 17, 2007
at 7.1/2 hours this is an experience more than a your typical movie the running time allows one to become imursed in the world that Bela Tarr has created, to ruminate the extrodinary images and the deeper meaning that lies within
May 30, 2015
Oh those benumbing seven hours!
½ July 21, 2014
This is a great film from Tarr with a few dull moments.
January 3, 2015
It's rare to see a movie like Satantango. To determine if this movie is for you simply ask yourself "does a 7 hour black and white Hungarian film sound appealing to me?" If yes then chances are , like me, you'll find yourself merciless emersed in a film that pushes film boundaries further than most will dream. It's not a movie for everyone. Those willing to commit to the marathon runtime however will probably lose themselves because time becomes mostly irrelevant in Bela Tarrs worlds. It's almost impossible to describe but it's bleak, beautifully weirdly funny and dreamlike in nature. I doubt I'll ever see another film like it.
½ August 11, 2014
It's all about the bleak atmospheric tone of the film and the stunning visuals!
March 16, 2014
7 glorious hours long, Satantango is a seminal film experience.
February 17, 2014
Worth every second of the 7 hours.
December 8, 2013
A 419-minute "epic black comedy" is something that I just cannot ignore. I've heard that it's difficult, but I've been through a lot in my personal film studies.
½ September 28, 2013
i'm proud that this is the longest movie i have ever seen
September 24, 2013