Critic Review - New York Magazine/Vulture

The film is impressive.

July 6, 2012 Full Review Source: New York Magazine/Vulture | Comments (24)
New York Magazine/Vulture
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Johnny Mabry

Johnny Mabry

Impressive?

And you're a hack. Go back to school, Dave. I think you missed a few courses.

Jul 6 - 01:46 PM

Todd Garry

Todd Garry

Stop embarassing yourself.

Jul 7 - 07:42 AM

Matt Borron

Matt Borron

You are talking to Dave right.....?

Jul 13 - 07:26 PM

Jason Staley

Jason Staley

This movie was epic and if you think otherwise well you're just a boring ass clown that needs to stick to PG movies...

Jul 6 - 03:12 PM

Matt Borron

Matt Borron

Oh Jason...Poor poor Jason....

Jul 13 - 07:27 PM

A Wise M.

A Wise Man

The movie looks alright, this review on the other hand is not. This sounds like a fanboy post.

Jul 6 - 06:11 PM

Tandi Noggle

Tandi Noggle

You all sound like five year olds. Think I'll see for myself.

Jul 6 - 10:49 PM

Tory Despres

Tory Despres

This movie was a great film, to say otherwise is to not appreciate the witty, well-written dialogue and the overall story arc with the exposition playing out perfectly by using to create great characters. The acting was amazing and the tone of the film was perfectly conveyed by the great Oliver Stone. He hasn't made a movie this great, or dark in a while and I'm glad he did. Anyone who understands film I would want them to explain how this is movie is bad.

Jul 7 - 10:25 AM

susy p.

susy paz

Right??? i totally agree. It's just a fun movie to watch. Witty is the perfect word to describe it. I love it! Hope more people go to watch and stop taking themselves so seriously!

Jul 9 - 09:26 AM

Sam Graye

Sam Graye

Ok. I cannot understand anyone of these people trying to defend this film. I love movies. But this movie was one of the worst films I've ever paid money to see, I'm not kidding.

Jul 7 - 02:14 PM

Rod Jonse

Rod Jonse

How?

Jul 8 - 12:11 PM

Hugh Petersen

Hugh Petersen

Travolta was awful. His character was awful. The ending was broadcast a mile away (and was completely unsatisfactory), It just wasn't good. Salma Hayak was so so. I thought Benicio was great as always, and the three Main Characters were well played (Blake Lively and the two guys) but didn't buy the 3 way lovefest.

Jul 8 - 08:20 PM

Tory Despres

Tory Despres

You're comment about Travolta's character being awful or he did an awful job automatically makes you lose your legitimacy. His character was great. I can maybe understand your point of view if you were to complain about the two male leads, but I still like them as well. But this movie had great performances all around with Bernicio obviously being the best. The ending was not all that predictable and it was an overall greatly directed, amazingly acted, fun movie.

Jul 13 - 10:26 PM

butterbread7

Eileen Butters

I'm confused, Tory. Travolta's performance *was* awful, so you've lost *your* legitimacy. How can both of you have lost your legitimacy?

Jul 14 - 05:19 PM

Kemuel Butler

Kemuel Butler

People on this site are severely over opinionated.

Jul 7 - 08:00 PM

susy p.

susy paz

Agree

Jul 9 - 09:27 AM

Alex Young

Alex Young

You know, it would be wonderful to get one review without some tool saying "YOU'RE AN IDIOT IF YOU THINK THIS MOVIE SUCKED."

IT'S CALLED A GODDAMN OPINION PEOPLE.

Jesus.

Jul 7 - 10:05 PM

Tory Despres

Tory Despres

It's one thing to say "your opinion sucks" and another to say that "if you didn't like the movie, you didn't appreciate the witty dialogue with the great direction and fun acting", people can have opinions, but on a website like this where everyone shares their opinion, it's important to get an opinion out there that can actually deconstruct a film instead of saying..."Oh it just kinda sucked without any explanation", I might be a sucker for movies because I just love them mostly in general even if they are pretty bad in quality, but when a film is actually well made, with great acting, dark direction in a very contrastingly bright setting in laguna beach. It was simply well made in most aspects. I find it amusing that people who do say "people need to stop being so opinionated" are usually the people who are just as opinionated, just about other subjects.

Jul 13 - 10:35 PM

Jacen Arnet

Jacen Arnet

Deconstruct? Are we about to get a class on existentialism?

" I might be a sucker for movies because I just love them mostly in general even if they are pretty bad in quality"

Much like this one. Acting? Try over acting. The setting was so arbitrary it could have been on the moon and the movie wouldn't have been much affected.

And then the movie tries to make up for its bland story by throwing in a weird recorded rape scene that did not propel the movie forward in anyway?

Holy Shit that movie was bad.

Jul 15 - 12:29 PM

Brian H.

Brian Hall

I was entertained for the most part. I do agree the ending was mostly so so but other than that I thought it was well acted.

Jul 9 - 01:46 PM

Ken Tamblyn

Ken Tamblyn

Stupid Movie.

I understand the entire story, but it was still very boring. I was waiting for the action. There were plenty of opportunities for action, but instead it was just needless violence for the sake of violence.

I love Travolta in every other movie, but not in this one. He was a goofy agent that tried to act serious.

Jul 14 - 12:26 AM

Martin Vela-Sanchez

Martin Vela-Sanchez

A movie full of layers and themes. Definitely a satirical look at the double standards in Americans have as it relates to drug dealing.

Jul 15 - 07:19 PM

Dillon DeWitt

Dillon DeWitt

I hated the movie. I mean if you like rape scenes yes it might be good but come on th action scenes wheren't even that good.

Jul 18 - 08:37 AM

Kyle Mills

Kyle Mills

It's a damn drug movie people, what do you expect!!!???

Jul 20 - 06:16 PM