Total Recall: Oliver Stone's Best Movies

Summary

He's won 10 Golden Globes, nine Oscars, and four BAFTAs during his long and illustrious career -- but Oliver Stone has somehow never been the focus of his own Total Recall, so we decided to change that in honor of this weekend's Savages, an intriguingly cast drug drama based on the Don Winslow novel about a pair of pot farmers racing to free the woman they love from a Mexican drug cartel. Given his lengthy filmography, you know Stone's got some good stuff in his filmography -- and the cream of the crop is right here in this week's list. Back to Article

Comments

Allen Isaac

Allen Isaac

One of my favorite movies by Stone is U-Turn. But it seems like it's hardly ever mentioned.

Jul 6 - 09:30 AM

Kenneth Olsen

Kenneth Olsen

I agree. I think U-turn is highly underrated.

Jul 6 - 09:58 AM

Kenneth Olsen

Kenneth Olsen

I agree. I think U-turn is highly underrated.

Jul 6 - 09:58 AM

David Whitlow

David Whitlow

Rotten Tomato members rated Natural Born Killers as Stones' number four best? HUH? Are you kidding, that was the biggest piece of tripe I've ever seen in my life, violent for no other reason than to just thrash the audience with violence, convoluted and weird, with all those flashes of color and weird psychedelic acid flashback scenes. I would have better entertained if I'd have watched the blank movie screen for two hours.

Jul 6 - 04:21 PM

Tony Nozero

Tony Nozero

salvador

Jul 6 - 05:10 PM

Matt Schaffer

Matt Schaffer

"W" is on this list, but "Natural Born Killers" isn't? That shows a high level of willful ingnorance on the part of the writer of this list. My feeling is that if you do not recognize the glory of NBK, then you should be dealt with in the following manner: http://youtu.be/zHteSbrZZ5U

Jul 7 - 05:30 AM

BeachBubbaTex

David Blanke

Corrrect sir

Jul 8 - 06:18 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Only One Rotten on the Top Ten. This is an incredible body of work. I don't care how crappy or un-intentionally Hammy/Funny Savages looks, this man is an incredible Film Maker.

Jul 7 - 10:14 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I know Right! I read all about how the JFK film is a big fictitious entertaining lie so watched it with low expectations and I loved it! This is the power of good story telling people! In short, I agree with your comment completely.

Jul 7 - 10:16 AM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

My top five Oliver Stone

1. Born on the Fourth of July
2. Platoon
3. JFK
4. Salvador
5. Nixon (surprised this one didn't have a higher RT rating)

Jul 7 - 01:16 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Couldn't agree more!

Jul 7 - 02:02 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Couldn't agree more!

Jul 7 - 02:02 PM

Joseph O'Driscoll

Joseph O'Driscoll

Stone did not receive his first nomination for Salvador, he actually won the Academy Award for writing Midnight Express.

Jul 7 - 05:39 PM

Alexandra Jones

Alexandra Jones

Mr. Giles, would you do me a favor? Would you paraphrase "best-reviewed movies" for me? Thanks.

Jul 7 - 07:41 PM

Jeremy M.

Jeremy Main

Yeah. Stone's last good year was 2003. Then in 2004 we got Alexander, and it's been pretty much declining quality all the way.

Jul 7 - 09:27 PM

Robert Leverence

Robert Leverence

NBK fave movie of all time.

Jul 8 - 02:16 AM

John Fleming

John Fleming

Natural Born Killers may be 10% or so off from making this list, but it would be impossible to not categorize it as a more significant Stone movie. NBK had a lot of critics who loathed it but also a few energetic ones who championed it. W. was a movie that didn't really have enthusiastic support--it merely existed and was easy to forget.

Jul 8 - 11:13 AM

BeachBubbaTex

David Blanke

I logged into the site just to post a comment on this thread.

Not including Natural Born Killers as Stone's top one or two films is like admitting that the list has no connection to film quality. It is chess to Pulp Fiction's checkers.

I would put JFK up there largely as the perfectly terrifying example of faction: history we WANT to believe is true.

Jul 8 - 06:17 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer