Save The Date - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Save The Date Reviews

May 7, 2013
I am a big fan of Indie films, and a fan of Lizzy maybe I am biased, but I enjoyed this. I found this charming, and enjoyed the storyline, lovely drawings, and fun music. I am glad that I ignored some of the bad reviews on this one. I would have missed out on a nice little movie...
½ December 16, 2012
In "Save the Date," Sarah(Lizzy Caplan), a bookstore manager and artist, is moving in her with rock musician boyfriend Kevin(Geoffrey Arend) after dating for two years. Her sister Beth(Alison Brie) is happy at her cohabitating for the first time. However, Beth and her fiance, Andrew(Martin Starr), Kevin's bandmate and friend, are gravely worried about him possibly proposing marriage which might be pushing his luck too far. And after a great show, and about to go on tour for a month, that's exactly what Kevin does with Lizzie caught in the headlights with the entire audience looking on...

Some times you can tell a lot by how a movie starts. In the case of the alternately touching and funny "Save the Date," it signals a certain intelligence with its bookstore entrance and does not disappoint throughout with its unpredictable rhythm that is kind of like real life with a neat use of camerawork that especially extends to close-ups. That extends to how perceptive it is about family, friends and relationships, centered around Sarah who is just trying to figure out what she wants out of life while resisting pressure which I can certainly sympathize with.
½ October 18, 2013
Lizzy Caplan and Alison Brie are 2 good reasons to see this film. They both shine here. They have a great on screen chemistry as sisters. Lizzy Caplan has come such a long way, since her performance in Mean Girls. I like seeing Lizzy in roles like this. The film reminded me of movies like 500 Days of Summer, The 5 Year Engagement, Julie and Julia, Working Girl, and Bridesmaids. The film is well written and great dialog.

My problem with the film, is that I thought a lot of the men actors in the film were miscast. I didn't think Lizzy had a good on screen with either Mark Webber or Geoffrey Arend. Also Alison didn't have a good on screen chemistry with Martin Starr. On a positive, Timothy Busfield was good in his supporting role.

Despite the miscastings, I still recommend this film, especially for the performances of Lizzy Caplan and Alison Brie.
½ December 3, 2012
First of all, will directors please give Alison Brie more work? She is brilliant, even in the smallest of roles. "Save The Date" feels built around Lizzy Caplan, who disappears into her role. Caplan has this natural, Indie quality about her that produces a sincerity that makes one feel this is actually how she is. Quirky and realistically fun, the film juggles its relationships with a tenderness and brashness that sets it apart from other romantic, Independent comedies. Everyone involved steps out of their run-of-the-mill wheelhouse and give performances at a higher level than usual, raising the bar for their future performances. The chemistry and witty dialogue between Caplan and Mark Webber is perfect, producing smiles and a warmed heart for their blossoming relationship. Nothing in "Save The Date" feels forced, everything progressives naturally, exuding an organic nature that must be true-to-life.
½ August 12, 2013
its hard to explain what makes this work other then saying that the Romance feels real and not all campy and made up
July 31, 2013
This is a little IFC Romcom. It was just OK. The funniest part, by far, was a scene in the beginning where the couple is dancing in their underwear, talking about farting. This one was a little different though, because unlike most films of this genre, I hoped very hard that the girl would end up alone and miserable. That's what she deserved.
½ July 8, 2013
"Save The Date" is a modest romantic comedy. The glittering of less famous (yet still drop-dead gorgeous) casts include Lizzy Caplan, Alison Brie, and Martin Starr. It is light and deep at the same time...such a delight to watch.
May 24, 2013
This was an entertaining movie about a girl and her serious defect when it comes to romance. The ending was perfectly sweet and a great conclusion to this story.
April 25, 2013
I loved this movie, so I'm note sure why it has such a low rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Plus it has half of the cast of Party Down in it and Annie from Community.
January 2, 2013
You don't really have to Save the Date as it isn't really worth watching. Lizzy Caplan (Cloverfield, Bachelorette) stars as indecisive Sarah, who runs from her long-term relationship with a musician (Geoffrey Arend - 500 Days of Summer, Devil) when he decides to propose to her during the encore of one of his concerts. Sarah's sister Beth (Alison Brie - "Community", "Mad Men") is getting married and while she loves her sister they don't always get along (and Sarah NEVER takes her advice). We get an hour and a half of this as Sarah starts a new relationship with Jonathan (Mark Webber - For a Good Time Call, Scott Pilgrim vs the World) but then begins to question that too when he turns out to be "too good". This is another tale of a thirtysomething struggling to figure things out ... and this could become a brand new sub-genre of drama. Save the Date doesn't really give an audience anything new to enjoy or appreciate cinematically ... we are just getting another version of this oft-told experience/story. As this one never rises above what we have already seen, it isn't anything to recommend (unless you like Caplan ... whom I wish would get the perfect role someday [this isn't it]). Thanks for asking us to Save the Date, but I will regrettably decline as there is surely something more interesting to watch.
October 11, 2015
Funny for the first half hour. Entertaining enough for the second half hour. The last half hour gets a little too serious and also dull and formulaic.
December 14, 2012
Between a 5/10 and 6/10, Lizzy Caplan and Alison Brie lend the lightweight rom-com "Save the Date" more than its fair share of watchability. But the film is never truly interesting.
March 9, 2015
Humorous and insightful, "Save The Date" works because of witty writing and top-notch performances from comedic stars Lizzy Caplan and Alison Brie.
March 6, 2015
I love the inde-rom-coms of late, and am not afraid to say it. Exactly what I hoped it would be.
October 27, 2014
nothing really there to keep me interested, but I always love Alison Brie, she's so great.
½ September 20, 2014
I don't get why the critics kill it. I think this movie is fairly honest and human, some characters could be annoying, but... isn't there people in real life that are annoying too?
December 3, 2013
This is a cute and funny movie, great for anyone.