92% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Save The Date Reviews

Cynthia S

May 7, 2013
I am a big fan of Indie films, and a fan of Lizzy Caplan..so maybe I am biased, but I enjoyed this. I found this charming, and enjoyed the storyline, lovely drawings, and fun music. I am glad that I ignored some of the bad reviews on this one. I would have missed out on a nice little movie...
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

December 16, 2012
In "Save the Date," Sarah(Lizzy Caplan), a bookstore manager and artist, is moving in her with rock musician boyfriend Kevin(Geoffrey Arend) after dating for two years. Her sister Beth(Alison Brie) is happy at her cohabitating for the first time. However, Beth and her fiance, Andrew(Martin Starr), Kevin's bandmate and friend, are gravely worried about him possibly proposing marriage which might be pushing his luck too far. And after a great show, and about to go on tour for a month, that's exactly what Kevin does with Lizzie caught in the headlights with the entire audience looking on...

Some times you can tell a lot by how a movie starts. In the case of the alternately touching and funny "Save the Date," it signals a certain intelligence with its bookstore entrance and does not disappoint throughout with its unpredictable rhythm that is kind of like real life with a neat use of camerawork that especially extends to close-ups. That extends to how perceptive it is about family, friends and relationships, centered around Sarah who is just trying to figure out what she wants out of life while resisting pressure which I can certainly sympathize with.
SC007
SC007

October 18, 2013
Lizzy Caplan and Alison Brie are 2 good reasons to see this film. They both shine here. They have a great on screen chemistry as sisters. Lizzy Caplan has come such a long way, since her performance in Mean Girls. I like seeing Lizzy in roles like this. The film reminded me of movies like 500 Days of Summer, The 5 Year Engagement, Julie and Julia, Working Girl, and Bridesmaids. The film is well written and great dialog.

My problem with the film, is that I thought a lot of the men actors in the film were miscast. I didn't think Lizzy had a good on screen with either Mark Webber or Geoffrey Arend. Also Alison didn't have a good on screen chemistry with Martin Starr. On a positive, Timothy Busfield was good in his supporting role.

Despite the miscastings, I still recommend this film, especially for the performances of Lizzy Caplan and Alison Brie.
Christopher H

December 3, 2012
First of all, will directors please give Alison Brie more work? She is brilliant, even in the smallest of roles. "Save The Date" feels built around Lizzy Caplan, who disappears into her role. Caplan has this natural, Indie quality about her that produces a sincerity that makes one feel this is actually how she is. Quirky and realistically fun, the film juggles its relationships with a tenderness and brashness that sets it apart from other romantic, Independent comedies. Everyone involved steps out of their run-of-the-mill wheelhouse and give performances at a higher level than usual, raising the bar for their future performances. The chemistry and witty dialogue between Caplan and Mark Webber is perfect, producing smiles and a warmed heart for their blossoming relationship. Nothing in "Save The Date" feels forced, everything progressives naturally, exuding an organic nature that must be true-to-life.
August 12, 2013
its hard to explain what makes this work other then saying that the Romance feels real and not all campy and made up
July 31, 2013
This is a little IFC Romcom. It was just OK. The funniest part, by far, was a scene in the beginning where the couple is dancing in their underwear, talking about farting. This one was a little different though, because unlike most films of this genre, I hoped very hard that the girl would end up alone and miserable. That's what she deserved.
July 8, 2013
"Save The Date" is a modest romantic comedy. The glittering of less famous (yet still drop-dead gorgeous) casts include Lizzy Caplan, Alison Brie, and Martin Starr. It is light and deep at the same time...such a delight to watch.
Hamee
May 24, 2013
This was an entertaining movie about a girl and her serious defect when it comes to romance. The ending was perfectly sweet and a great conclusion to this story.
April 25, 2013
I loved this movie, so I'm note sure why it has such a low rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Plus it has half of the cast of Party Down in it and Annie from Community.
January 2, 2013
You don't really have to Save the Date as it isn't really worth watching. Lizzy Caplan (Cloverfield, Bachelorette) stars as indecisive Sarah, who runs from her long-term relationship with a musician (Geoffrey Arend - 500 Days of Summer, Devil) when he decides to propose to her during the encore of one of his concerts. Sarah's sister Beth (Alison Brie - "Community", "Mad Men") is getting married and while she loves her sister they don't always get along (and Sarah NEVER takes her advice). We get an hour and a half of this as Sarah starts a new relationship with Jonathan (Mark Webber - For a Good Time Call, Scott Pilgrim vs the World) but then begins to question that too when he turns out to be "too good". This is another tale of a thirtysomething struggling to figure things out ... and this could become a brand new sub-genre of drama. Save the Date doesn't really give an audience anything new to enjoy or appreciate cinematically ... we are just getting another version of this oft-told experience/story. As this one never rises above what we have already seen, it isn't anything to recommend (unless you like Caplan ... whom I wish would get the perfect role someday [this isn't it]). Thanks for asking us to Save the Date, but I will regrettably decline as there is surely something more interesting to watch.
December 3, 2013
This is a cute and funny movie, great for anyone.
Emily  D.
April 8, 2013
It's refreshing to see Martin Starr in a REAL role. He gets typecasted as the jerk, the nerd, or the weird guy and I know he has so much more to offer than that. This movie has a good cast: Lizzy Caplan, Alison Brie, Mark Webber, Martin Star, Geoffrey Arend...Did I mention Mark Webber? :-)
Lizzy Caplan has a tendency to be typecasted too, usually as the independent, wild, sarcastic female character and in this movie she embodies some of those traits but her character eventually finds compassion in the end.
There isn't much action in the film and even the climax isn't anything worthwhile, mainly the movie deals with the sisters relationship with each other and Sarah's (Caplan) inability to commit even though she has two great guys pining for her. I enjoyed the bond between the characters: I felt as if Jonathan (Webber) and Sarah really were head over heels for each other and Beth (Brie) and Sarah felt like real sisters.
What I loved about this movie were the long shots. In some scenes the director doesn't cut at all; the actors deliver their lines so fluidly that I felt like I was eavesdropping on a private conversation. This is especially noted in the scene where the sisters are walking down the pier, they begin as tiny dots and end up right in front of the camera, conversing the entire way, it was beautiful.
The bond between Beth and Andrew (Starr) is endearing but can be a bit too perfect at times. Even towards the end, when Beth realizes weddings are bullshit, their make up is full of mushy ooey gooey goodness. Or maybe, it could be that I am not used to viewing healthy relationships on screen...?
Alison Brie was kind of annoying me in the film, I think I'm just sick and tired of seeing her play the same characters over and over (another typecasted actor!). She needs a role like AnnaLynn McCord in Excision to show us a different side to her acting.
Side note: I really want to see Excision but I know I won't be able to handle it.
The end of the movie references two of my favorite films: There's a Breakfast at Tiffany's kiss at the end (with a cat in the middle no less) and the ending ends abruptly like the film Last Night. Just as Sarah is about to say something.....cut to black....roll credits.
In conclusion, I did enjoy Save the Date but after letting the movie marinate in my brain for sometime, I don't think it was as good as I initially thought. The story has no real climax and everything seems to feel perfect even when it's not supposed to; even Sarah's art is too cutesy. The acting won't let you down but Sarah and her first world problems might...and Mark Webber is pretty much naked in a few scenes... :-)
September 8, 2013
Again, a better movie than the tomatometer. Quirky characters, a "Girls" like feel to the story, real issues to deal with and a poignant ending. I liked it!
August 12, 2013
It's better than the reviews say but I may be bias since Lizzy Caplan kills it in this movie and she's one of my favorites. A real telling of life when it comes to unexpected relationships and non-traditional family ties.
Hutch
August 6, 2013
Perfectly average movie. Not great, not bad, not funny, not unfunny. Watch it, get a chuckle or two and move on. Not a bad way to spend 90 minutes if you're bored.
DC Edmonds
August 3, 2013
"Save the Date" 10 Scale Rating: 5.0 (Mediocre) ...
August 1, 2013
Completely scattered. An emotional rollercoaster that is just plain annoying.
July 24, 2013
Chatty, shallow and uninteresting.
May 29, 2013
The strange world of commitment..