Saved!

Saved! Reviews

murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
I really liked this film! It was funny and it also gave out a positive message. A must see!
Alice S

April 3, 2011
A teen comedy with the typical cliques and baddies but also, many deep commentaries on love, sex, faith, humanity, and diversity. Every character achieves redemption in his or her own way, but that's okay because it echoes what the movie believes true Christianity should be.

The "shit - fuck - Goddamn" scene is excellent.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

November 20, 2010
I thought it was hilarious in high school, gets less funny as an adult and you analyze da chuuch issues. Solid satire.
Spencer S

December 9, 2008
Introspective, good cast and script, and blatantly different.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
VERY cute. Very, very cute.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 8, 2009
It was allright just wasn't that interesting.

Mary is a good Christian girl who goes to a good Christian high school where she has good Christian friends, mainly Hilary Faye, and a perfect Christian boyfriend, Dean. Her life seems perfect, until the day that she finds out that Dean may be gay. After "seeing" a vision of Jesus in a pool, she does everything in her power to help him turn straight, including offering up her virginity. But none of it helps because Dean's caught and sent to a "degayification" center and Mary ends up pregnant. It's during her time of need that she becomes real friends with the school's set of "misfits," including Cassandra, the school's only Jewish girl; Roland, Hilary Faye's wheelchair-bound brother, and Patrick, the skateboarder son of the school's principal, Pastor Skip; whilst Hilary Faye turns her into a social outcast.
Luke B

April 18, 2009
A teen high school comedy that is funny, relevant and positive. It's very, very clever. Not just the script, or the message but the whole production. This isn't an anti-God propaganda film to corrupt the world. It's a film that calls into question organised religion and the consequences of following the rules like some dictatorship. The medium of teen high school flick is put to good use. It speaks to it's audience but doesn't condescend them. Giving them a type of film that is popular amongst it's demographic, but smarter than the regular breed. Moore, Malone, Amurri and Culkin give fantastic performances, treating their characters with respect and never overplaying their individual messages. It's a great film for those interested in religion, those that are religious and even those that aren't, as their is a good message for everybody. Even parents should enjoy the teenage perspective, and also the sub-plots dealing with the parents own "demons".
Red L

December 21, 2008
I quite enjoyed this movie. Perhaps there is too much idealism - the chances of the outcasts being such good friends is remote, but it is nice to hope that even the outcasts of the world make it through graduation as happy as they do in this movie.
Jennifer X

October 7, 2007
Mean Girls in a Christian school with slightly more-nuanced acting. With a little bit of Juno mixed in for good measure. Mandy Moore is delicious and Jena Malone is a cutie. I love satires masking as teen comedies.
Bannan i

June 15, 2007
Bloody witty and equally entertaining.
Drew S

January 21, 2007
Despite what Saved tells you, God obviously doesn't exist; if he did, then Mandy Moore would have a film career that does not involve shithouses like License to Wed. Watching her hurl the Bible at Jena Malone and rant about how she is filled with Christ's love was a pleasant surprise coming from her.

This movie is pretty good, but at the same time I wish it hit harder. I know that it pulls the punches a bit to avoid offending its Christian audiences, which I respect it for (despite being a pretty militant atheist myself), but concurrently the humor is kind of gentle by result. Also, some people may view the ending as backsliding, a gigantic apology for any of the iconoclasms that the previous hour and a half may have presented. But hell, you do what you have to. A lot of what strength it does have comes from the performances (especially, once again, Mandy Moore) and the good-natured ribbing of rabid Christians. There are things that Saved is willing to truly attack, dangerous institutions such as indoctrination camps. Everything else is poked at, but left undisturbed on the whole.

Not the best comedy ever, but a good investment of 90 minutes.

(This is my 1000th review! I wish it had been for a movie that's a little more momentous, but who gives a shit? It's just the Internet. I like to think that this is some sort of reward from Jesus or something.)
Michael S

March 19, 2007
A biting teen satire. Really funny stuff.
Thomas J

January 30, 2008
Funny, but has a point!!
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 22, 2006
Hillarious and well acted satire of Christian schools that needs to be seen by everybody, especially those who, like me, come from a town dominated by religious fanatics. This film gets everything they poke fun at absolutely perfect, which is another reason this film gets my respect and reccomendation.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

June 20, 2007
Great drama-comedy with much to say and a solid message. I loved the cast and how the movie deals with the themes of religion, tolerance and acceptance. In a light-hearted way it also displays the dangers of fundamentalism and narrow-mindedness. It would seem the writers of this movie share a lot with my own philosophy on life, God and religion.
deano
deano

June 13, 2007
Great 2000's teen comedy about when a girl at a Baptist high school gets pregnant, she is ostracised by the other students. Jena Malone, Mandy Moore, Macaulay Culkin and Eva Amurri make excellent performances.
Wildaly M

May 16, 2007
I loved this one. A satiric comedy that is surprisingly very funny and at the same time touching. Malone really shows her worth as an actress in this one not to mention that her performance touched me. The one scene that I consider best is the one in which Malone's character doubts her faith.
Jason S

December 27, 2006
Ok. Lot's of crazy people though.
Michael G

November 20, 2006
Better than I thought it would be. Even if it's got some of the WB sensibilities to it.
Leigh R