Saving Private Ryan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saving Private Ryan Reviews

½ April 24, 2016
Classic war/Spielberg film. Tom Hanks also gives a tremendous performance. And the opening scene is still one of the best of modern cinema that displays absolute horror, amazing direction, unflinching brutality, gritty action, and a deep sense of respect and sadness.
April 24, 2016
The Best War Movie Ever Made.
½ April 19, 2016
In war, we strive to be impersonal. Unfortunately, that's nearly impossible, and this stunningly beautiful (if overly ham-fisted) WWII fiction exemplifies that. Hanks is phenomenal, the grayish visuals are gorgeous, and the two book-end battles are each war scenes for the ages. Unfortunately Spielberg shoves in way too much forced sentimentality in the dialogue, score and god-awful framing to make this the classic many people think it to be.
½ April 11, 2016
Saving Private Ryan is a very raw and gritty portrayal of war. I personally did not care for it, since I am not knowledgeable about wartime jargon, machinery and tactics. I believe that the soldiers remained faceless saviors of one young man, and that seriously underminded the storytelling. On the other hand, the reality of war was well represented by the cinematography, absence of music and long periods of boredom or tedium. Probably a good film, but did not move me as much as other wartime movies.
March 24, 2016
This movie right here, is the kind of movie i love to watch everyday.
March 23, 2016
One of the grestest war films ever...if not the greatest.
½ March 21, 2016
This has some of the most technically accomplished, and well structured action scenes I've ever seen in a war film. The cast is great, however some characters could've used some more character development.
March 13, 2016
Fantastic film. Spielberg and Hanks doing what they do best!
March 11, 2016
Great movie... One of tom hanks best
March 6, 2016
They save Private Ryan.
March 5, 2016
Full of action and plenty of Spielberg in it, Saving Private Ryan makes life 72 years ago feel so relatable and present.
January 4, 2016
This movie is terrible with very many people dying and bloody gore so I would recommend not watching this with your child
December 4, 2015
From its opening - featuring a graphic and brutally honest depiction of the assault on Omaha Beach - to its heartbreaking, punch-in-the-gut ending, and all of the unsurprisingly grand Spielberg-style action and character development in between, "Saving Private Ryan" is one of Steven Spielberg's best films. And that's saying something!
½ December 6, 2015
Saving private Ryan is a brutally realistic world war 2 movie and one of the greatest war movies of all time. Tom Hanks' likability shines through in one of Spielberg's finest films. This is a war film everyone should see.
February 21, 2016
The most realistic, dreadful, emotionally driven war picture i've ever had the pleasure (maybe displeasure really) to watch.
It starts off with the greatest beginning scenes ever put the film, with appallingly realistic imagery, horrifying use of sound, visceral action and most important of all, you start to care about all of the characters from the second the movie begins, to the second it ends.
No movie has ever had such a heartbreaking yet beautiful ending to its story, that has never had me crying so hard, than Spielberg's most powerful film: Saving Private Ryan.

Saving Private Ryan is the most realistic and visceral war movie ever created.
February 20, 2016
The best World War 2 movie of all time. Great cast, director, and story. It throws you into the realistic world of war. One of the best 3 1/2 hours of my life.
May 7, 2010
Buy the popcorn, leave your brain at the lobby and enjoy another Spielberg film aimed for the 14 year old's.
February 18, 2016
First 28 minutes is a masterpiece. The rest of the movie is just OK.