Saving Private Ryan Reviews

May 22, 2015
Included In Lists:
Great Movies

Throughout Spielberg's filmography, he has tackled the elements of World War 2 and its upcoming years almost so exhaustively that by seeing his entire catalogue would provide a strong fundamental insight of the event; and each feature is tackled with a flavour of their own, cohesively held by his individual trademarks, and each one unwilling to be a repetition of the other. May it be the heart aching struggles of the Holocaust and the triumphant effort of a single man towards their preservation; or the thrilling and exhilaration of the first and third instalments of the Indiana Jones series, which finds a hero driven to stop the Nazi forces of harnessing the power of rare scattered artefacts; or the perspective of a young prisoner of war in the invasion of China by the Japanese, losing everything that defined him and coming out of it a fractured victim; or the exaggerated sense of paranoia that carried through the minds and hearts of Americans after the tragic assault on Pearl Harbour; or the horrific tragedy that was laid upon the fearing and hopeful soldiers as they land at the shores of Omaha Beach.

He is a filmmaker who truly understands the event like very few do, finding the most powerful and inspired of stories and communicate them through his audience in a way that is both accessible and entertaining; even if his intentions are dramatically grounded, at times we find ourselves immersed or escaped from our realities, transported to the conditions captured within the frame; and there is no better example of a film that achieves this than Saving Private Ryan, notably in its moments of chaos and desperation. We find ourselves right there armed and donned with military gear, staring up at the opponents who show a lack of mercy in their sights. They fire to hold us back, and we evade and scream to react and ensure our safety. Spielberg simply could have taken the route of an epic filmmaker like David Lean, composing scenes with intelligent and scope that places us far above the mayhem and take on a view of authority or grandeur that would inspire awe in its audience. Spielberg aimed to find a connection into the hearts of these soldiers, to empathise the struggles they had to endure, making the aura of danger and unpredictability palpable with every step from the start zone. It is 30 minutes of necessary mayhem that immediately introduces and comprehends the ideas that are taking form, accumulating to ensure the penetrating impact that would arrive later on.

This is Spielberg donning a new and harsher coat, never at a moment we find ourselves amused or grinning in moments of heat and tension, taking on a standpoint of violence with honesty and tragedy that very few filmmakers were able to provide since the end of the war; it is an approach that attains a sense of respect to those who entered, either successfully or have fallen, into the battlefield; and this is a statement that not only regards for the exhaustive perspective of Omaha Beach, but of the many moments of warfare after it, demonstrating war for what it truly is, a sacrifice of principles led either through forced or instinctive obligation that ends only with a bloody mess. Despite its detailed portrayal, Spielberg still manages to tap into the deeply shelved desire within us that craves for adrenaline and thrills, managing to balance accuracy and escapism without intrusive compensation that would jeopardise its integrity; a level of effort and respect that many action filmmakers should strive for. Even until now, many have tried to recreate the impact that Spielberg has left his audience with Saving Private Ryan, but I have yet to come across a film that proves to be as effective or as powerful.

The film finds its way into the soul of its characters as the film refuses to define its figures with identifiable simplicity; many of them do not carry the archetypal traits of one's expectations of a soldier, they are simply a reflection of us, the trivial members of our society. They are instead defined by their attitudes and efforts that are empathetic and universal, demonstrating their hesitations and hopeful wishes in quiet human moments; breathing in between in its unpredictable pit stops of mayhem. Casting may have seemingly taken the route of ambition, with names like Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Edward Burns, Paul Giamatti, Ted Danson, Vin Diesel, and Tom Sizemore, but once we find ourselves standing along these figures, they seem to be stripped form their status, slipping onto their roles with such ease and naturalism that they begin to embody the everyday man that they represent. Both Spielberg and his cast deserves an abundance of the given praise as without their efforts of capturing an atmosphere of such accuracy and grounding, then this wouldn't have been the film that it has become.

The film finds its footing immediately at the soldiers' arrival of its early high point, providing audiences with an experience like no other, one that could have only been possible by the deep seeded passion and dedication that Spielberg carried for the fallen soldiers and its survivors during its production. It finds the essence of war even in the most chaotic of instances, translating to its viewers through haunting visual imagery and penetrating and accurate first hand embodiment of the soul of a soldier. Spielberg finds himself once again at the pinnacle of his abilities.
July 24, 2008
"Saving Private Ryan" is an incredibly strong, resonating movie that serves to be one of the best war films ever made thanks to sharp and revolutionary directing by Steven Spielberg and great performances led by Tom Hanks.
May 25, 2015
I've seen a number of war movies, but I have never had one that had such a profound emotional impact on me as Saving Private Ryan. I distinctly remember seeing it for the first time on a Friday, and all weekend long I thought about it. And on that Sunday, man, I just wept, as I truly realized and appreciated how much so many Americans have sacrificed for this country.

This Memorial Day of 2015, I watched Saving Private Ryan for the first time in High Definition. I've seen the film many times now, and yet I still manage to catch details, both visually and narratively, that I didn't notice in previous viewings.

It's extremely rare that I ever give a 5-star movie rating. Saving Private Ryan is not just one of Steven Spielberg's best films. It's one of the best and most influential films of all time.
July 3, 2012
A spectacular war film, filled with characters that question their place in a large war and face difficult decisions trying to complete a mission they struggle to believe in.
½ May 16, 2015
9.5 out of 10:

Has intense and exciting moments and great acting. Classic Spielberg.
April 7, 2015
War is the answer, so is this blockbuster! Totally out of this world!
May 18, 2015
In high school, the class and I were watching an edited version of Saving Private Ryan. Luckily I watched the full version before this which means I would be able to see what 's not edited. I don't agree to watching the edited version as I want the full experience from it, but I didn't care because Saving Private Ryan is probably one of the best war films I have seen. Steven Spielberg did an amazing job with the direction and did his best of giving a vision of what World War II is like. The battle of Ohama Beach is exciting, but scary as it's very realistic, and is the best reenactment about what's it like. The characters are enjoyable and memorable, especially the sniper who I think is one of the best sniper characters in a film. The pacing is slow which would make some viewers bored, but I still got invested in the film. The acting is fantastic, especially Tom Hanks who is entertaining as usual. The writing by Robert Rodat is really good as it does give it some emotional experiences. It has some funny moments, and the soundtrack by John Williams is really good. The sets are really great as it does make it look like World War II and a battlefield. Saving Private Ryan is an amazing that takes a simple premise, and made it very effective.
May 17, 2015
Saving private Ryan portrays powerfully the scene of the battlefield and the emotions of different soldiers. Each battle makes audience feel nervous and scared. The cinematography and the actions are top notch with a strong chemistry between characters. However, non-american audience like me might have issues about the American patriotism in this movie. They seems to show little humanity between the German characters and America is mostly shown to be the "good guys"
January 11, 2007
This is the greatest war movie I have ever seen in my life. The most captivating part of the movie is the shocking realistic opening with the D-Day invasion of Normandy. Spielberg's second best movie.
½ May 13, 2015
The most intense first 20 minutes in any movie I've ever seen but that's just the introduction to this thoughtful well made WW2 story....the best movie of '98.
½ May 3, 2015
Upon 10 minutes of watching this film I realized I was going to have a very rewarding next few hours. The best parts in the film are the beginning and ending which is subtly ingenious because this makes you forget about the bit of extra 10 minutes that could have been cut off of this movie. With that said this is a must watch even if it is a bit long.
½ April 29, 2015
An amazing war film.
A certified fresh rating of 94%
"With bloody violence and another winning performance from Hanks, Saving Private Ryan is a realistic war film that redefines the genre."
½ August 25, 2006
The action sequences are marvelous and brutally realistic.
April 20, 2015
is a war film where Tom Hanks Starring stands for. The film has many good compenentes that today few films of this type fail making it one of the best in its genre.
½ October 30, 2014
A very well acted and in away beautiful war film about moral and ethnical principals among a band of brothers behind enemy lines. Tom Hanks is great aswell as Damon and the others. Grim and brutal and much up building suspense. Spielberg brings us another epic war film, worthy the test of time.
April 11, 2015
Simply the best war film ever made. It became a standard by which all other war films will be measured.

Director Steven Spielberg virtually takes you on a tour of duty and let you experience what these men went through, making you not forget all the sacrifices they made, all in the name of freedom.
½ February 15, 2008
It was great: except the opening scene and the closing scene.
May 28, 2014
A perfect war movie with great performances, well developed story, good action scenes, and the amazing direction from the great director who made The Schindler's List.
August 10, 2013
"Saving Private Ryan" is one of Spielberg's best films and is one of the most profoundly moving and impactful war films I have ever seen. Its well known, and often respected, violence is definitely not for the faint hearted but it is very realistic and it portrays the horror of world war II brilliantly. The last act of this film is pure film perfection and it is a heartbreaking and captivating experience to watch. The film is also extremely well directed and acted. While not a terrible film, "Shakespeare In Love" had no place taking best picture from this masterful work. From its mesmerizingly brutal opening sequence to the incredibly emotional final scene this movie kept me engaged. Its not an easy film to watch since the violence can be graphic and very bloody, but its a movie I would recommend everyone to see because of the amount of respect that was put into it and the impact the film leaves on the viewer.
½ February 26, 2014
A classic war film, Tom Hanks and co really deliver. Action is pretty spectacular too; especially when considering the year it was made.