Scared Straight! Reviews

hunterjt13
July 22, 2014
A group of juvenile criminals is berated and verbally abused by a group of hardened criminals.
At first, this documentary is just a bunch of people screaming at a group of petrified children, but by the middle of this film, there are enough levels in the convicts' threats to keep this film compelling. And the tales they tell would scare anyone straight, even though the film doesn't account for the various socio-economic realities that might drive one to crime.
Overall, there's a moment when one of the convicts is whispering, "I really want to hurt you," right into a kid's face, and that's a moment that I'll remember for a long time, and when a film has that type of effect, it's a powerful film.
½ July 3, 2010
I know they do this kind of stuff all the time now, but it was shocking to see kids from the 70's going into this prison and being cursed at and threatened to be raped if they ever set foot in that prison. The dvd is good because they go back and catch up with all the kids from the movie some twenty years later.