Scatter My Ashes At Bergdorf's Reviews

April 21, 2014
Not so much a movie as a long commercial.
½ February 23, 2014
Rich people talking about rich people... wasted 15 minutes of my life until I existed. Will waste another 5 minutes (worth it) doing this review. $3000 for a pair of shoes of everyone involved in making and selling the show can drive their expensive cars, go to their expensive vacations and buy their expensive homes. Brainwashing 101. Don't waste your hard earned money on this BS.
January 7, 2014
Lacking a central thesis, Scatter My Ashes is more of a celebration of the iconic store than anything else. It lacks the punch or depth of a truly well-made documentary, but I enjoyed learning the history of the store, especially the anecdotes about celebrities.
May 11, 2013
A one sided look at Bergdorf's-Goodman's and its legendary status as the gold standard for high tier shopping for the better part of a half decade. The main thing that held me throughout was the preparation for the Christmas windows to bring in shoppers or tourists akin to the way Harrod's pulls it off in London as well. Could have used some direct interviews with some of the stars such as Bab's who is a major reference throughout the proceedings rather than showing us vintage clips of her movies at the location. Also the only brief mention of their struggles around the time of the Madroff investment scandal and the loss of some major accounts seemed to be the only time the doc goes into anything negative regarding the brand. Would have been interesting if they hit that angle and of course the recent recession and how it affected their brand. Seems more of a advertisment to check them out more than anything else and would have been interesting for a more balanced look into a supposed NY fashion institution. A one of for the non fashionistas and more for the high priced crowd.
½ September 12, 2013
I'm not really sure if this makes for a good documentary although I will say most of it is rather interesting in an odd sort of way. The film is rather unfocused and isn't sure what it is actually wanting to say as it takes on one-too-many things it wants to tell about the fabulously glamorous shopping mecca for the world's elite, Bergdorf Goodmans in NYC. The film is about the prestigious and wealthy clients and how only the very rich can afford to even walk into its doors ... so it is a rather odd celebration of classism and narcissism. I believe it would have been more successful if the film were about the beauty in the store; but the film wants to interview and highlight the uber-wealthy that believe themselves better simply because they can afford to shop here. The film celebrates them ... while snubbing those who cannot ... which means most people watching movies. It is an odd tactic the filmmakers have decided to take. Why offend those watching the movie letting them know they aren't worthy of inclusion? If the doc was a bit scathing in its high-class ideals that would be one thing; but it isn't the case. It is as if "you don't matter unless you can shop at Bergdorfs!" This is disappointing because there is some interesting discussion with designers hoping to become exclusive designers to Bergdorf and a neat section of the doc about the haven of shoes that some women cannot even talk about because they'll get too emotional. That part of the film was actually rather awesome. The film does have some of the most beautifully photographed/filmed scenes in movies in 2013 at the end of the doc. Linking the film together are snippets about the wonderful window displays ... and we get to see them in all of their glory at the very end of the film ... and they are stunning. I had goosebumps ... and a tear at the beauty in the "brass" window. Whoa. One probably must enjoy art or design or fashion to enjoy any of this film so be advised on that; but those windows are f-word fantastic!
½ September 3, 2013
Do you ever think of shopping as an art form? You just might after seeing this tremendous doc centered on Bergdorf Goodman, the premiere Manhattan luxury store for more than a century. But director Matthew Miele's amazing doc is no paean to brainless consumerism. Miele tracks Bergdorf's history from quaint little tailor shop to fashion capital of the country, if not the world. Best of all, Miele gets into the blood, sweat and tears, not to mention financial clout that goes into creating a fashion store as legend. Designers from Armani to the late Alexander McQueen would give anything to be sold there. In the doc we meet Linda Fargo, the fashion director who keeps the gate well-guarded. There's also shopper Betty Halbreich who has a way with words, especially when it comes to big time stars. Then there's David Hoey and his design tem who create those eye-popping iconic windows that are worth the trip alone. You need not be a fashion guru to appreciate the dazzling world on display. Miele and his superb cinematographer Justin Bare, show a world where fashion can be life-changing and inspirational. The stuff that dreams are made of.
½ September 1, 2013
I wanna fucking live at Bergdorf's!
½ August 31, 2013
A highly uninteresting documentary.
July 29, 2013
Had a chance to see it last night, but it was the second of two docs my friends went to see after we'd already seen Anything Goes a few hours earlier. Sounds like I made a wise decision to go home after The Venice Syndrome.
July 14, 2013
If you like fashion, this is the movie for you. There are great stories here about the history of the iconic store and some of its designer fans, partners, and famous and fashionable customers. If you don't recognize the names it may be harder to enjoy.
½ June 26, 2013
Great movie - horrible title! The general public will not understand what this movie is about with this title's.
There were 3 people in the movie theatre tonight!
I loved it...there were some editing problems but mostly very informative and entertaining.
The title will throw many people off and they won't even consider seeing it!
June 11, 2013
Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf's isn't as scintillating and tension filled as the Anna Wintour driven flick The September Issue. This movie is more archival, with great interviews, including Cher and Joan Rivers, footage of Babs (Funny Girl days) playfully singing "Second Hand Rose" dancing comically around the store and interesting stories, like Jackie O's most famous Halston hat and John Lennon's fur buying extravaganza. All interspersed with the blood, sweat and tears, or rather beads, sparkle and toil of window designer David Hoey, as he works with his team to produce another breathtaking holiday shopping theatrical window experience!
June 11, 2013
Interesting and funny!
May 25, 2013
Great testimonial about a great Store and a family, who I knew well and grew-up with, the Goodman's who were unpresumptious,gracious and a wonderful and colorful family
½ May 19, 2013
a bit too much name dropping but interesting look at an industry leading company that I otherwise probably wouldn't know about.
May 9, 2013
This was fun, but it could have been so much better. It spent too much time on the designers and a few fashion movers and shakers. I know there's more to the store than that. Wasn't even one mention of the wonderful housewares on the 7th floor (I confess that's the only floor I've ever been to!) Tell me more about the staff, the electric bill, the advertising, what makes the whole operation tick. If you must spend so much time on the illustrious movers-and-shakers, tell me how they got to their frighteningly powerful positions in the fashion world. It also spent too much time on the windows, but that was more interesting than the ho-hum Italian talking heads, and I will never walk by Bergdorf's again without looking at the windows!
½ May 5, 2013
Though at times - especially at the beginning - it feels like a celebration of elitism and decadence, Scatter My Ashes is a documentary about the creativity and fashion influence of the Bergdorf Goodman store. Like a modern fairy tale, they explain that the store's purpose is a sort of personal inspiration for designers, clients, and those who can't afford to shop there yet. It does put you in this world where having wealth is easy, something that many Americans do worry about. But it's a fascinating look at a world that we can all hope to be a part of, in one form or another.