School for Scoundrels Reviews

½ July 11, 2012
A interesting cast, but without a good screenplay the result just could be an unfunny romantic comedy. Rotten.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 30, 2012
Todd Philips is pretty hit and miss as a director, he scored big with The Hangover, however with this remake, and he fails to bring something really funny to the screen. With a cast that comprises Billy Bob Thornton and Jon Heder, you know what to expect. This film had bland, predictable jokes and it just ended up not being interesting. The film is poorly acted with a poor script, and everything is just lazy. Todd Phillips is a decent film maker, and he is able to make something funny, however with this film, he just doesn't have that energy to create something good for the viewer. Thornton's comedic delivery is really predictable, and it makes the film quite boring. In every comedic role he's done, he's played the same person. That goes with Jon Heder as well. I just think that both actors are one trick ponies in terms of comedy. Thornton was great in Bad Santa, but he basically used that character for Mr. Woodcock and his character in this one. The film, as far remakes are concerned, just doesn't cut it, and is one of those films that isn't worth your time. I haven't seen the original yet, so I can't compare, but this film just isn't good. School for Scoundrels isn't one of Phillips' best directorial efforts and along with The Hangover Part II, is one of his worst films. If you're looking for something really funny, you won't find it here. This film was just a big disappointment, one that could have been much better, but was pretty bad in the end. This isn't worth your time.
½ March 25, 2007
Yep, I just can't get enough of Billy-Bob. The story was the completely reverse of what I thought it was going to be, which turned out to be a funnier concept.

Billy-Bob does sarcastically irritating exceptionally well.

The film kind of reminded me of Anger Management , but with more of a twist.
July 31, 2010
B-
3niR
July 4, 2010
This movie was kinda funny. i didn't like the swirly thing, that was gross. Roger (Jon Heder) acted really well (although his lack of self-esteem made him look like a gay instead of weak). Amanda (Jacinda Barrett) looked beautiful and so caring. Leshar (Michael Clarke) looked gorgeous in his blond wig :P (jk)
January 14, 2010
Still lacks story, but definately a better thornton film than woodcock!
½ July 23, 2009
"What if you're looking for, like you know... A real girlfriend?
- Can we please get everyone laid first!? I swear, if anyone of you get a handjob out of this... I'm a miracleworker."

Ever since 'Napoleon Dynamite', I've considered myself a fan of Jon Heder. Ok, he hasn't accomplished the same level of perfection as in 'Dynamite' but I enjoy watching his movies.

Heder plays Roger, a meter maid from NY. He suffers from panic attacks and doesn't get along that well with people. A typical loser you might say. After he gets rejected out from a Big Brother program, he gets an advice from a friend. There's a course driven by a Doctor P that does wonders to those who have no self-esteem. To his friend it did miracles. What about Roger then?

This film's biggest asset is its cast. Wonderful casting to a light comedy. Heder does once again a nice performance of a sweet, innocent guy but one actor manages to steal the show completely. Yes, Billy Bob Thornton that is. This film would be so much worse if it didn't have Thornton in it. Ever since 'Bad Santa', I've considered him to be a very underrated comedian. His performance does resemble his 'Bad Santa' character a bit but the way he speaks, uses his facial expressions, is somewhat of a perfect fit to the movie.

'School for Scoundrels' features also a lot of lesser known comedians. David Cross ('Kung Fu Panda', 'Arrested Development' series) and Todd Louiso ('High Fidelity') are always a joy to look at and the same can be said of Sarah Silverman. And when Ben Stiller made a cameo.. I was sold! He manages always to put a smile on my face.

'School for Scoundrels' has a very funny script with a decent story. Many of us have had a crush on somebody but never had the balls to do anything about it. This film shows us one side, a very funny one, on how to deal with that issue. A lot of great scenes and dialogue with good performances makes this one a really fun ride! And Luis Guzman... Another guy who puts a smile on my face, any time.

"You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna leave that bitch! Walk out the door and start over. I don't care if she's my mother! There's a million other basements I can live in!"
½ October 27, 2008
I'll admit that one of my guilty pleasures is to watch Billy Bob Thornton yell profanities at people and the chance to see him do it to Napoleon Dynamite was a great opportunity. School of Scoundrels is about a NYC meter maid (Jon Heder) who suffers from low self esteem and ends up enrolling in a class taught by Dr. P (Thornton) who will turn him into a self confident beast.

What sounds like a great idea quickly turns into formula as the pair compete for the affections of the same woman. Does this sound familiar? That's because it was done in Anger Management a few years ago. At this point it crashes into the ground and by the last twenty minutes you wonder how Heder has a career in Hollywood at all. A big disappointment.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
September 4, 2008
Dr. P: "There are two kinds of men in the world: those who run shit, like me, and those who eat shit, like you."

An unlucky meter reader enrolls in a confidence building class so he can win the love of the girl of his dreams. The class turns out to be something quite different when it becomes clear to the young man that his professor has his sights set on the same girl.

This is a very, very typical movie. As soon as one sees the leading lady, the plot outline is clear: guy charms lady, guy seemingly betrays lady, guy gives speech, guy gets girl in the end. It's annoying how, in a movie filled with actors I love, they couldn't manage anything over okay.

Don't be mistaken, though; there are some very funny moments in the movie. Seeing Heder nail Billy Bob over and over again on the tennis court was probably the highlight of the movie for me. Some parts are so typical it hurts, though, like the ending in the airport. Every plot "twist" was so obvious that it had me laughing, in a bad way.

3/5
May 25, 2008
This movie has a bunch of halarious scenes. Billy Bob Thorton and Jon Heder bring this movie to life. I'm not so sure it would of been near as good with any other actors but them, but because it is them, I say 5-stars!
Funny, great plot, great actors, and a fun to watch film. I personally think it was Jon Heders best film yet.
May 3, 2008
This was really predictable, and the side characters were better than the leads.
December 23, 2007
This is a comedy of very dark humor which I enjoy. Its not the greatest but it simply fulfills its purpose of giving a enjoyable moment to the viewer. The story is convincing. A loser living in New York with a crappy job, and no self-esteem seeks for help with a man called Dr. P to win the love of his neighbor Amanda. The cast is really good, Billy Bob Thornton in a role that fits him like a glove, his performance was excellent. Jon Heder also with a role that fits him really well, he is constantly evolving as an actor and a comedian. Michael Clark Duncan was hilarious, never thought he could be that funny. The brief appearance from Ben Stiller as Lonnie was really convincing. The supporting cast like Horatio Sanz, Todd Louiso and Luis Guzmán is a really good complement.
deano
½ November 30, 2006
An okay funny update on the 1980s comedy classic Dirty Rotten Scoundrels like an instructor and one of his best loser students are trying to one-up the other to win a girl's heart they love.
½ July 7, 2007
Awful, Heder exposes his lack of versatility here.
½ September 24, 2006
This movie sucks. Adds more reasons for me to hate Napolean Dynamite. Billy Bob is shafted by PG-13 and is only able to say "God Dammit" so many times before I stopped caring. Also, the movie for some reason wants to remake Anger Management and just becomes mean spirited at points. Overall, it has too few moments, mixed with painfully unfunny gaps.
½ April 14, 2011
Decent actors, bad script.
July 19, 2010
It is hard to believe that the fertile creative mind behind the thirty-something frat-boy raucous comedy Old School and somewhat clever classic TV update Starsky and Hutch could not come up with a better follow-up than the ridiculously unfunny School for Scoundrels. Miscasting is chief to blame, but not even the collective cast of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World could drum up many laughs from the retched script.

In this PG-13-rated comedy, meek meter-maid Roger (Heder) enrolls in a top-secret self-esteem course taught by the cruel Dr. P (Thorton), who begins dating his student's girlfriend (Jacinda Barrett) as a confidence-builder.

Mostly because of the casting of Heder, even the decent jokes fall flat. Audiences did not need to see him in a lead role to cement the fact that he is a one-trick pony. His supporting turns in Just Like Heaven and Benchwarmers taught Hollywood that Napoleon Dynamite's star could only play, well, Napoleon Dynamite. The worms in Steve Guttenberg's stool have more comic skill than this scoundrel!

Bottom line: School of rot.
October 5, 2007
Funny, cool movie.
June 18, 2007
Heder can't act and Thornton can. I didn't expect them to go 2/2 here, but they go 0/2. OK if you want to waste time.