School of Rock Reviews

Market Man
½ September 14, 2012
Great humor and rockin' story (had to do it, I'm sorry). Jack Black usually annoys me but that is not the case here. I feel like this was the film he was born to star in. "School of Rock" is a near perfect comedy and should be watched by anyone who loves great humor and/or rock music. I also love Joan Cusack in this.
August 22, 2008
Richard Linklater's cult hard-rock comedy hits the right notes and plays louder than anything i've ever heard. Jack Black was the perfect symbolism of old-school rock 'n' roll to shed into the new age of musicianship. The dialogue was brilliant, songs were strong and script was fantastic. Encore! 5/5
February 9, 2011
Dewey Finn: Dude, I service society by rocking, OK? I'm out there on the front lines liberating people with my music!

"We don't need no education."

School of Rock has been another go to movie for me for the last 7 or 8 years. For me, this is an easy winner because I am a Jack Black fan and because I love the music their playing. Black is a musician that can hold his own and the kids in the movie are great at their respected instrument. The film is funny, well-written by Mike White, and directed with surprising style by Richard Linklater. Like I said, Black is in the lead and he gives probably the best comedic performance of his life as Dewey Finn.

School of Rock follows the misadventures of Dewey. He's a loser who is trying to make it big in the music industry. His band plays small bars and he lives with a friend and his friends girlfriend, mooching of them for rent. Dewey's friend at the request of his girlfriend tells him if he doesn't come up with rent, they are going to kick him out. More bad news comes in the form of Dewey getting kicked out of his band. He tries to rebound with a new band, but finding people isn't easy. When he takes a substitute teaching job, posing as his friend teacher, he meets a group of kids that can rock, and tries to use them to win the Battle of the Bands.

This is a different type of movie for Linklater. I guess if you examine his film career, this would tie in most closely with Bad News Bears; except that School of Rock is much, much better. It also rings with great music much like his comedic stoner masterpiece Dazed and Confused did.

School of Rock is just plain fun. It's hard not to have a good time watching Jack Black totally embrace a role like this. This is the Jack Black character. He is at his best when he plays himself, and Dewey Finn is just less profane Jack Black from Tenacious D. So seeing him here is just as much fun as watching him in Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny.

A great, family friendly, music comedy from a great director and a cast of good musicians. The songs are catchy, the jokes funny, and the story clever. Yeah, it follows a pretty basic formula for its success, but you can't sent the luring power of the pit stops White take with his writing. The lessons in class, the lunchroom conversations, and just letting Black perform.
December 26, 2006
½ April 24, 2011
The whole movie is a bit of a cliche and not too funny, but can get entertaining at times. Breaking the fourth wall at the end of the movie doesn't help either.
March 25, 2007
If you like Jack Black then you'll like this film.
Directors Cat
October 16, 2011
Jack Black's way of conveying idiocy is appealing to both the adult and children audience. Making this film a really good time
½ December 20, 2007
Not much to say....I guess the name explains the movie
½ August 2, 2011
Haha! I absolutely love this movie! I ADORE IT! I wouldn't mind watching it watching this 10 times in a row if I wanted to! This is definitely something to watch one day! This review is going to be short and sweet, as it's near impossible to write this one without spoiling anything, for every little detail has a rather humorous outcome. This dos not mean that it's confusing what-so-ever, just that you could say it would be like something Rowan Atkinson would write. As in (using random example, this is not in the movie... then again, you can't trust me very well) a banana had a bruise that he got at the beginning, no sweat, just a little bruise. Throughout the rest of the movie it was a love story with the banana and a prune, but to keep things interesting, the orange was jealous. He wanted the banana to die, for the prune was is wife! The apple (the orange's father) sent the banana and the pear to Mortal Kombat, because the orange was to weak. Turns out, the banana had gotten to the part where he must finish the pear, but when his fatality got intense, he exploded because the bruise had gotten infected. See? That little bruise that he got at the beginning killed him at the end! It was just so unexpected, just because it was a little small detail! Well, if you don't get it, you might not like this movie... it may not be the one for you... or maybe! Or maybe not... or maybe maybe not... dun dun dun....
July 6, 2008
Absolutely hilarious. 10/10!
June 5, 2011
Jack Black carries this film on his back with an exhilarating performance that's more than often absolutely perfect but the plot leaves much to be desired without even so much as a twist.

The formula and cliche injected into this comedy completely overshadows it's attractive premise. Fortunately, the laughs work and anyone who appreciates classic rock have something to relate to.
February 13, 2011
I love ghis comedy. It is Jack Blacks funniest movie. The kids are awesome, the comedy is good, and the rock music was RICHTEOUS!
½ October 23, 2006
A near-perfect comedy, thanks to Jack Black's commitment. He's the failing rock singer who pretends to be a substitute teacher. But when he discovers his class of 10-year-olds are talented musicians, he decides to enter a band competition.
The kids are naturally adorable. But it is Black's manic energy that keeps the jokes coming. A feel-great for kids and adult alike.
July 31, 2009
jack black is so cool
August 1, 2010
Love it! One of my favorites.
Jack Black is perfect!
½ June 24, 2010
its really funny but I'm suprised that it has 90% liked by critics. B
½ January 13, 2010
The School of Rock is one hell of a fun and hilarious ride! I loved this movie from start to finish, even though there were a few scenes that felt like they were stolen from other movies just like this one. It's really true, but it feels like It. Overall, I love School or Rock!
May 5, 2006
7 years on and this still ranks as Black's best. Thankfully he has a number of restraints on him as he isn't the only driving force here. White is a good comedic writer, Linklater is a talented director that has handled many different kinds of films, and the kids themselves often impress more than Black. The humor isn't fast and furious, but the jokes come regularly enough to remind you it's a comedy. The songs are also, thankfully, rather enjoyable and catchy, something that can sink a film about music. It's also nice to see a film of perfect length, never boring, never rushed, it flows naturally. Shool of Rock is a feelgood film, without schmaltz or unnecessary subplots such as a love interest for the protagonist.
February 26, 2010