Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins Reviews

deano
½ October 5, 2009
In this beginning of the live-action Mystery Inc. gang film with different actors and special effects... even CI of Scooby-Doo are poor and unreal than the previous Scooby-Doo movies. It is different and a bit fun. But in the final scene does memory me in the following the start introduction of TV's "Scooby-Doo" cartoon series.
jim222001us
October 1, 2009
Scooby Doo: The Mystery Begins has it's cheesy moments, yet it's surprisingly much better than the other 2 live action films. Matthew Lillard and Linda Cardellini were the only good casting as Shaggy and Velma in those movies. While here Nick Palatas and Hayley Kiyoko are also good as Shaggy and Velma. But Robbie Amell at least is a much better Fred than Freddie Prinze Jr. who over-acted and tried too hard to look cool when he just came off dorky. While I liked how Kate Melton doesn't act as dimwitted as Daphne as Sarah Michelle Gellar. Her Daphne is actually pretty smart and uses her brain just as much as Velma.

They all bond Breakfast Club style in detention while reading mystery novels. I doubt Sarah Michelle Gellar's Daphne could even read. Daphne isn't meant to be stupid, while Fred was simply just played awful by Freddie Prinze Jr. This movie took a much better approach that's more like the show, well the way the characters act anyway. It didn't really need the scene where Shaggy is testing a gas mask by having Scooby fart lol. But I still actually found the movie to be fun and I think they should make a live action show with this cast.
August 30, 2015
It was neat learning how the gang got together. But this was just dumb. Scooby Doo looked too fake. Scooby Doo looked better in 2002.
April 14, 2014
"The Characters Stayed True To The Original Cartoon..."
"I Always Thought They Should Have Gotten"
"Saved By The Bells Dustin Diamond To Play Shaggy"

****

This Story Starts Of In
(Fictional)
Coolsville Ohio Home Of Four High School Juniors Fred Daphne Velma Shaggy & Soon Scooby Doo. Fred Jones Is A Quarter Back: For The High School Football Team; Daphne Blake Is A Beauty Queen Drama Student; Velma Dinkley Is A Whiz-Kid Of Science & Many: Intellectual Things; & Shaggy Rogers
(Always Thought They Should Have Gotten)
(Saved By The Bells Dustin Diamond To Play Shaggy)
Is A Happy Hippie Slow Out-Cast That Has No Friends, Often Picked On, & Likes: Unorthodox Sports. Scooby Doo Finds His Way To Being Shaggy's Dog Shortly After The Beginning Of The Film.

Sent To Detention By Strict Disciplined Ex Military Vice Principal Grimes For An Altercation Aboard The School Bus Fred; Daphne; & Velma Start To Bond When They Find That They Have A Charismatic Attraction For Mystery Stories. Finding A Gang They Fit In With; Jubilant Invigoration Shaggy & Scooby Get.

Coolsville School, Becomes Under, Siege By, Ghost &, The School, Gets Tore, Apart. Being The Last Kids At The School When This Happens; The Next Day All Four Get Suspended By Vice Principal Grimes; Not Believing In The Story Of Ghost Doing The Damage. Shortly After Getting Suspended; Velma Tells The Others About Hearing Strange Things That Have Happened At The Coolsville Museum; The Five Then Decide To Try & Solve A Real Life Mystery...

For Those That Were Fans Of The Original Scooby Doo Cartoon; Wanting To See The Typecast I Think This Movie Will Please Them Because The Writing Of The Plot & The Characters Stayed True To The Original Cartoon: Supplying Fans That Want To See That With Just That; In Those Regards All & All A Pretty Good Scooby Doo Movie That I Would Recommend Seeing.

For Fans That Want To See A Part Of The Typecast Add Up With A Little Bit Of Spice
(Of Romance)
That One Would Except To See In A Teenage Movie; Coupled Together With Scenes That Have A Bit Of A Warped Sense Of Humor It May Or May Not Deliver The Desired Amount; Depending On The Taste Of The Fan; Critic; Etc Fred Will Probably Be Criticized For Not Being A Blond; Velma For Being Somewhat Oriental; But Who Cares? It Is A Movie!

This Story Had A Mystery Plot That Gave Clues Making It Possible To Solve The Mystery With Supernatural Characters That Had Powers That Never Got Explained
(Other Than Just Being Supernatural)
In My Opinion A Good Thing.

Bored I, Was Not, I Liked, That Clues, To Make, The Mystery, Solvable Had, Been Put, In &, Throughout, The Film, It Kept: Me Entertained.

~

I Give This Film A B + (Bright) ****
½ July 21, 2013
This story starts of in (fictional) Coolsville Ohio home of four high school juniors Fred Daphne Velma & Shaggy. Fred Jones is a quarter back: for the high school football team; Daphne Blake is a beauty queen drama student; Velma Dinkley is a whiz kid of science & many: intellectual things; & Shaggy Rogers is a happy hippie slow out-cast that has no friends & likes: unorthodox sports. Scooby Doo finds his way to being Shaggy's dog shortly after the beginning of the film.
Sent to detention by strict disciplined Ex Military Vice Principal Grimes for an altercation aboard the school bus Fred; Daphne; & Velma start to bond when they find that they have a charismatic attraction for mystery stories. Finding a gang they fit in with; jubilant invigoration Shaggy & Scooby get. Coolsville school, becomes under, siege by, ghost &, the school, gets tore, apart. Being the last kids at the school when this happens; the next day all four get suspended by Vice Principal Grimes; not believing in the story of ghost doing the damage. Shortly after getting suspended; Velma tells the others about hearing strange things that have happened at the Coolsville museum; the five then decide to try & solve a real life mystery...
For those that were fans of the original Scooby Doo cartoon; wanting to see the typecast I think this movie will please them because the writing of the plot & the characters stayed true to the original cartoon: supplying fans that want to see that with just that; In those regards all & all a pretty good Scooby Doo movie that I would recommend seeing.
For fans that want to see a part of the typecast add up with a little bit of spice (of romance) that one would except to see in a teenage movie; coupled together with scenes that have a bit of a warped sense of humor it may or may not deliver the desired amount; depending on the taste of the fan; critic; etc
Fred will probably be criticized for not being a blond; Velma for being some what oriental; but who cares? It is a movie.
This story had a mystery plot that gave clues making it possible to solve the mystery with supernatural characters that had powers that never got explained (other than just being supernatural) in my opinion a good thing.
Bored I, was not, I liked, that clues, to make, the mystery, solvable had, been put, in &, through out, the film, it kept: me entertained. I give it a moderate thumb up.
½ September 26, 2011
The worst part of this movie is that Fred isn't blonde, Velma is Asian, Shaggy's voice is like that of finger nails on chalkboard, and the CGI is worse than Jimmy Neutron! It also directly inflicts the fact that in a pup named scooby-doo, Scooby and Shaggy met in a sandbox in elementary school. I should probably give it a worse grade, but their are some okay things in here.
March 21, 2011
I was not expecting this to be good, especally since it's Direct To DVD, and generally DTDVD sequels/prequels suck. I was plesently surprised. They were able to come up with a pretty good mystery and orgin story for the gang. The cast, while not great, does alright. The CGI Scooby is worst in this movie, but it does work because he's more like his cartoon self.
WC
March 16, 2011
Okay, I was a little upset seeing the preview with Freddy with brown hair and them kind of screwing up Scooby's first case. Well the movie was enjoyable I love seeing Scooby movies made because I love Scooby-Doo. I wish they used the knight as their first case because that was their first case.
March 4, 2011
First, it takes some getting used to the actors if you've seen the
other two live action movies. The look of some of the actors just
wasn't right for the characters if you ask me. The CGI was on the
poorer side too compared to the other movies. Beyond that, you
pretty much get a standard Scooby Doo story, complete with the
"meddling kids" line. Not superb in any way, shape or form, but not
awful either. If you've got Scooby fans in the house, you'll probably
want to see this.
½ October 10, 2010
Being a huge Scooby-Doo fan, I was very hesitate to watch this prequel which of course features different actors and actress which I'm not a big fan of. But I was truly surprised when I finished watching this. I felt it truly brought back what made SD awesome in the first place: good old-fashion clue hunting; something I felt had been lost in the newer SD shows. The storyline couldn't be cooler. And I have to admit, I loved Nick Palatas portrayal of Shaggy. He made me feel like I was really watching the original series all over again. I did however feel that Scooby was to cartoony, unlike in the previous two films. My favorite part of the film was definetly the end. I won't spoil it for fans of the original series, but when you watch it, you'll know what I'm talking about. All in all, this film surpassed most of my expectations. Now I know how it all started.
August 25, 2010
I thought this movie was very cute and actually better than the other live action adaptations. The only thing that was kind of weird was setting them all up to be like the Breakfast Club in the beginning...
August 16, 2010
All in all, it was pretty fun and even clever in parts, more so than the average Disney Channel movie aimed at tweens. In some ways I like the casting better in this film and the CGI Scooby was more cartoon like. The family liked it.
June 14, 2010
Goofy and not quite how you would expect those pesky kids and their dog to be pre Scooby-Doo Where Are You? but still an interesting take. It honors the original show well and has a unique mystery within it. I especially enjoyed when they showed the characters in live action scenes of the original show's opening. More enjoyable than I expected but still Scooby still doesn't quite work in live action.
½ November 14, 2009
Actually much better than I thought. Great for kids and adults. It explains the origin of everything, even Scooby snacks!
½ November 11, 2009
I truly enjoyed this movie & hope that there will be a sequel.The only thing I did NOT like is that Freddie always had blonde hair & was never a brunette.
October 14, 2009
I'm not to well informed with Scooby-Doo lore, but if you were to follow the animated series then this group of detectives originally formed around the time of late elementary school or early middle school-age. But that minor detail shouldn't prevent you from seeing this film. I'm not a fan of any of the Scooby-Doo animated series. And the first two live action films I really hated because they almost seemed like parodies of its source material. Brian Levant's Scooby-Doo!: The Mystery Begins may contain the same problems I have with any Scooby-Doo incarnation, but it's the first to present it in a fashion that is entertaining, and not frustrating to get through.

The movie features the all too familiar gang of Fred (Robbie Amell), Daphne (Kate Melton), Velma (Hayley Kiyoko) and Shaggy (Nick Palatas) all being strangers to each other in high school. It isn't until Scoobert, later to be named Scooby, comes into the life of Shaggy where the gang finally meet. After the group is blamed for a "prank" performed at a pep rally, they join together to solve the mystery of who truly performed this act, and what their real intentions were.

Call me crazy, but I liked this group of actors more than I did the ones who played these characters in the previous two films. Sure, Robbie Amell doesn't look the least like Fred but he's well enough in the performance for you not to care that his hair isn't blond or that he doesn't have that scarf thing around his neck. And both Kate Melton and Hayley Kiyoko slip perfectly into their roles. I especially liked Kiyoko's way of handling Velma's bizarre behavior, like her need to run in a zig-zag fashion anytime the group had to sneak into a location.

I couldn't help but find myself impressed with the performance by Nick Palatas. Out of all of the characters in the Scooby-Doo gang, Shaggy seems like the hardest to pull off just right. Well, Palatas I feel pulled off the role perfectly. He's got the look and the voice, but that doesn't become all that he's capable of offering. It's one thing to look and sound like a character, but it's another thing to do both of those and bring your own charm to the role. I really enjoyed Palatas in this film.

I still find it odd that no one finds a talking dog like Scooby-Doo (voiced by Frank Welker) the least bit weird. But for a film that takes its source material seriously, the strange feeling I had with Scooby slipped away quickly. Scooby-Doo!: The Mystery Begins is a hugely charming and surprisingly funny film. I went into it expecting more of the same, a dull film that furthered my hatred of these characters. But Brian Levant's film defied my expectations, and became of the of the best made for television movies I've seen this year.
September 29, 2009
*** (out of four)

There's some good news and bad news with the new Scooby Doo movie about how the gang got together. The good news it is better than either of the other live-action film versions. Much of the casting is better and they actors click well together. The best part is that, unlike the other movies, this one remains true to the spirit of the original Hanna-Barberra cartoon.

The not so good news is it still pales next to the old cartoon. Some shows just work best in animation, but at least this family-oriented picture is big step closer to a decent version of the animated classic. This was not a movie I went in expecting to like at all, so I feel that much more surprised.
September 23, 2009
This movie is bad, it's full of a lot of stupid jokes that aren't funny, Freddy has black hair, the ending music is not done well and a lot of bad writing and acting. 4.5/10
September 23, 2009
I was torn as to whether I should just review Scooby-Doo: The Mystery Begins as a movie or use it for my DVD Straightjacket article, since it premiered last night on Cartoon Network but is coming out next week straight-to-DVD. I decided to go ahead and review it for DVD Straightjacket, so here we go.

First, I want everyone to know that I love the first two Scooby-Doo live action films. I thought the casting was done well, the stories were fine, and they looked good. I thought the second one was a little cooler because it had a lot of the "monsters" from the original Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? series coming to life.

With that being said, I was a little concerned with this third entry in the series. Usually a movie with this many red flags spells absolute disaster and almost guarantees a turd of a film. Let's spell out the red flags: its direct-to-DVD, it's a prequel, it's totally recast, and it's got a new director. Wow. That's a lot to have going against a movie. Interestingly enough, it didn't prove to be true for this flick.

Scooby-Doo: The Mystery Begins somehow rises up above the crowded direct-to-DVD sequel / prequel cesspool and actually is successful at being entertaining and not completely cheap-looking. You can tell that director Brian Levant really wanted to escape the stereotype that these types of movies get and show that he was serious about the subject matter and franchise. Warner definitely played it smart with Levant, being that he is responsible for bringing to the big screen some very successful family movies and iconic animated TV shows like Beethoven, The Flintstones feature films, Jingle All The Way, and Are We There Yet?

The casting was done pretty well. All the actors fit the parts, although not without a few minor problems. Robbie Arnell would have completely been convincing in the part of Fred, except that for some reason he wasn't made to bleach his hair blond for the film. What was the reasoning behind that? I mean, he did take the part of an iconic blond character. The least he could have done is bleach his hair out to put the finishing touches on the role. My only other problem was with Nick Palatas' performance as Shaggy. He was really good and definitely looked the part. It just seemed like he was going a little overboard with the cracking squeaky voice sometimes. It seemed a little forced at times. I thought it was cool that they kept Frank Welker as the voice of Scooby-Doo, as he has been doing the character for the past seven years in different series and movies.

Even the special effects were done well. The ghosts all looked just as good as any of the ones in the two movies they released in the theaters. I have to say, though, that there were scenes of the Scooby gang that were missing Scooby-Doo that felt kind of awkward. It almost seemed like they cut him out of the scenes to save money on their CGI budget. There were some parts with Scooby that looked a little less than stellar and where it looked like the actor in the shot with him was having trouble interacting with an invisible dog. They were all minor problems, though. It shouldn't take away from your viewing pleasure.

Overall, I have to say that I was pretty impressed with this movie. It was kind of fun to see the gang paint The Mystery Machine, meet each other, and solve their first crime together. If you're a Scooby-Doo fan, I'm pretty sure this movie will live up to your standards.
½ September 23, 2009
I think Scobby-Doo was the best performer in the movie, which made it weak!!! But it was better than the previous movies!!!!