Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins Reviews

April 14, 2014
"The Characters Stayed True To The Original Cartoon..."
"I Always Thought They Should Have Gotten"
"Saved By The Bells Dustin Diamond To Play Shaggy"

****

This Story Starts Of In
(Fictional)
Coolsville Ohio Home Of Four High School Juniors Fred Daphne Velma Shaggy & Soon Scooby Doo. Fred Jones Is A Quarter Back: For The High School Football Team; Daphne Blake Is A Beauty Queen Drama Student; Velma Dinkley Is A Whiz-Kid Of Science & Many: Intellectual Things; & Shaggy Rogers
(Always Thought They Should Have Gotten)
(Saved By The Bells Dustin Diamond To Play Shaggy)
Is A Happy Hippie Slow Out-Cast That Has No Friends, Often Picked On, & Likes: Unorthodox Sports. Scooby Doo Finds His Way To Being Shaggy's Dog Shortly After The Beginning Of The Film.

Sent To Detention By Strict Disciplined Ex Military Vice Principal Grimes For An Altercation Aboard The School Bus Fred; Daphne; & Velma Start To Bond When They Find That They Have A Charismatic Attraction For Mystery Stories. Finding A Gang They Fit In With; Jubilant Invigoration Shaggy & Scooby Get.

Coolsville School, Becomes Under, Siege By, Ghost &, The School, Gets Tore, Apart. Being The Last Kids At The School When This Happens; The Next Day All Four Get Suspended By Vice Principal Grimes; Not Believing In The Story Of Ghost Doing The Damage. Shortly After Getting Suspended; Velma Tells The Others About Hearing Strange Things That Have Happened At The Coolsville Museum; The Five Then Decide To Try & Solve A Real Life Mystery...

For Those That Were Fans Of The Original Scooby Doo Cartoon; Wanting To See The Typecast I Think This Movie Will Please Them Because The Writing Of The Plot & The Characters Stayed True To The Original Cartoon: Supplying Fans That Want To See That With Just That; In Those Regards All & All A Pretty Good Scooby Doo Movie That I Would Recommend Seeing.

For Fans That Want To See A Part Of The Typecast Add Up With A Little Bit Of Spice
(Of Romance)
That One Would Except To See In A Teenage Movie; Coupled Together With Scenes That Have A Bit Of A Warped Sense Of Humor It May Or May Not Deliver The Desired Amount; Depending On The Taste Of The Fan; Critic; Etc Fred Will Probably Be Criticized For Not Being A Blond; Velma For Being Somewhat Oriental; But Who Cares? It Is A Movie!

This Story Had A Mystery Plot That Gave Clues Making It Possible To Solve The Mystery With Supernatural Characters That Had Powers That Never Got Explained
(Other Than Just Being Supernatural)
In My Opinion A Good Thing.

Bored I, Was Not, I Liked, That Clues, To Make, The Mystery, Solvable Had, Been Put, In &, Throughout, The Film, It Kept: Me Entertained.

~

I Give This Film A B + (Bright) ****
September 14, 2014
And I thought the original CGI of Scooby from the live action Scooby-Doo looked ridiculous. The plot isn't a bad plot, but I will always be bothered by the fact that Fred is not blond, it is a minor detail, but it did bother me throughout watching this whole thing.
½ June 17, 2012
I own this on DVD in a four movie pack along with:
* Scooby-Doo (2002)
* Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (2004)
* Scooby-Doo: Curse Of The Lake Monster (2010)
August 12, 2013
No humor, no suspense, no likability, no originality, the "mystery" is anything but; This film is nothing more than a poorly written rip-off of the Breakfast Club.
August 6, 2013
Very fun to see the group form from the very beginning! A fun family adventure for all.
½ July 21, 2013
This story starts of in (fictional) Coolsville Ohio home of four high school juniors Fred Daphne Velma & Shaggy. Fred Jones is a quarter back: for the high school football team; Daphne Blake is a beauty queen drama student; Velma Dinkley is a whiz kid of science & many: intellectual things; & Shaggy Rogers is a happy hippie slow out-cast that has no friends & likes: unorthodox sports. Scooby Doo finds his way to being Shaggy's dog shortly after the beginning of the film.
Sent to detention by strict disciplined Ex Military Vice Principal Grimes for an altercation aboard the school bus Fred; Daphne; & Velma start to bond when they find that they have a charismatic attraction for mystery stories. Finding a gang they fit in with; jubilant invigoration Shaggy & Scooby get. Coolsville school, becomes under, siege by, ghost &, the school, gets tore, apart. Being the last kids at the school when this happens; the next day all four get suspended by Vice Principal Grimes; not believing in the story of ghost doing the damage. Shortly after getting suspended; Velma tells the others about hearing strange things that have happened at the Coolsville museum; the five then decide to try & solve a real life mystery...
For those that were fans of the original Scooby Doo cartoon; wanting to see the typecast I think this movie will please them because the writing of the plot & the characters stayed true to the original cartoon: supplying fans that want to see that with just that; In those regards all & all a pretty good Scooby Doo movie that I would recommend seeing.
For fans that want to see a part of the typecast add up with a little bit of spice (of romance) that one would except to see in a teenage movie; coupled together with scenes that have a bit of a warped sense of humor it may or may not deliver the desired amount; depending on the taste of the fan; critic; etc
Fred will probably be criticized for not being a blond; Velma for being some what oriental; but who cares? It is a movie.
This story had a mystery plot that gave clues making it possible to solve the mystery with supernatural characters that had powers that never got explained (other than just being supernatural) in my opinion a good thing.
Bored I, was not, I liked, that clues, to make, the mystery, solvable had, been put, in &, through out, the film, it kept: me entertained. I give it a moderate thumb up.
March 4, 2013
Scooby Doo: The Mystery Begins is a nice surprise. It's the 3rd live action movie and rewinds to tell the origin story of the scooby gang... I liked the first movie and loved the second one but I was dubious about this prequel being a made-for-dvd release but all is good. Brian Levant is a trustworthy director when it comes to family films (Problem Child 2, Beethoven, Flintstones, Are We There Yet etc) and he delivers a faithful and highly entertaining Scooby movie. The actors all embrace their characters and the comedy is genuinely funny. It isn't restrained either and for a kid-friendly movie it's surprisingly spooky. The gang all meet one afternoon during a high school detention and inadvertently find themselves embroiled in a haunting. The famous scooby end-revelation is a good one too (and kind of clever) with the captured villain declaring he would have got away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids. hehehe. Damn, now I'm keen to watch the 4th movie which continues from this one... when kids flicks work, they're rad! LOL
November 5, 2012
Bunch of un-known actors,makes this Scooby film chessy!
Jed
½ September 4, 2012
I don't even have words for it. It's just really, really bad.
August 26, 2012
Well, I would give it 5-star if I were a 5-year-old.
½ August 18, 2012
Juraría que había hecho el review de esta ya, o al menos calificarla, en fín. No voy a tratar de alzarla más de lo que és y tampoco voy a perder tiempo defendiéndola de quien pierda todavía más tiempo cuestionando mi calificación. Primero que todo, soy un fan de toda la vida de Scooby-Doo y creo que he visto todas sus encarnaciones y versiones. Pienso que esta cinta hecha para televisión, para Cartoon Network es un esfuerzo aceptable para contar como la pandilla se conoció, como se unieron, y porqué decidieron investigar misterios. Me gusta la idea de que son castigados y puesto juntos, ya que es obvio que se recuerda, the Breakfast Club, y en retrospectiva, las personalidades de Breakfast Club son muy similares a los personajes del cartoon original de Scooby-Doo. La trama también lidia bien con el dilema actual cuando se hace cualquier proyecto de Scooby-Doo, se usan tipos disfrazados o verdaderas amenazas paranormales? En los 70s, era lógico usar el tema del tipo disfrazado, pero la audiencia actual ya acepta mejor las cosas sobrenaturales y ya no es tan interesante que el villano resulte ser simplemente un tipo disfrazado, aquí usan un poco de ambos conceptos para no alejar a los dos tipos de audiencias que puede atraer la película. Pienso que el casting estuvo bien elegido y la cinta es buena para verla en familia con los niños.
July 18, 2012
A very loveable TV prequel that Scooby-Doo fans and little children will love. And congrats on the performance of Nick Palatas.
½ December 10, 2011
better then expected but surely a film isn't that hard to create about the carton. they seem to think the film needs to be grand
½ April 22, 2012
Wasn't the bomb.... The other ones were better personally.
April 6, 2012
baru tau ada Scooby-Doo versi ini. Pengisi suaranya bagus, sama banget sama kartunnya, apalg Shaggy
March 19, 2012
Holy Cow! This movie was awesome I looooooove Scooby-Doo to death he's my favorite cartoon doggie of all time this movie is awesome and one of my fav. Scooby-Doo movies to watch! :D
February 26, 2012
I caught this on TV today and thought I'd give it a shot, since I never knew there was a third installment, let alone a prequel. What a waste of time that was! There're some crazy reviews out there that says this is better than the first two.. which I don't agree at all! A buncha kids who really can't act and the CGI on Scooby being totally terrible are better for these guys? Please.. one reviewer said it just right: "What a steaming pile of Scooby-Poo."
February 19, 2012
This film had good acting but the story and the movie itself is very cheesy not living up to the original series like it really should.
½ December 13, 2011
The only problem I had with this film is that Fred wasn't blonde, which was slightly disconcerting, but it was a funny film that was much much better than the other two live-action films. It was rather funny, at least, and Nick Palatas did an excellent job of sounding like Shaggy from the original cartoons. Uncannily so.
October 26, 2011
crude and low budget but still kinda enjoyable.