Scoop Reviews

jjnxn
August 14, 2007
Attempt by Woody to recapture the breezy newspaper comedies of the 40's. The film is okay as an homage but there is a fatal casting error at the heart of it that damages the picture. That would be Scarlett Johansson in the lead, trying to fill the kind of part that Rosalind Russell, Jean Arthur and Carole Lombard pulled off effortlessly in their prime she is overly earnest and not adept at the sort of confident yet tentative mix of emotions the role requires. In short she's trying too hard in a part that the young Diane Keaton would have been perfect in. Woody does rework his standard nebbishy role to good effect though.
½ April 22, 2013
Good lord...Woody Allen is so overrated. He even made Scarlett Johansson become a bad actress.
½ July 24, 2007
Mediocre movie.
cosmo313
½ January 2, 2008
Scoop is Woody Allen's second film with Scarlett Johansson, and it's a combo rom-com/murder mystery. It's also a nice little tribute to magic, something Allen has apparently had an interest in for quite some time. Oh eyah, and there's some supernatural elements too.

The story concerns the awkward but beautiful American journalism student Sondra,who is studying in England,and through some odd circumstances, comes into contact with the spirit of a recently deceased journalist. He gives her details about a scoop concerning a rash of serial killings, and his new information (if correct) could really blow the whole thign wide open and bring her much acclaim. Intrigued, Sondra enlists the help of a fellow American, a third rate magician named Sid aka The Great Splendini, to see if the dead journalist's lead, a super wealthy high society playboy really is true.

While investing their possible suspect, the usual stuff of drama and comedy, like falling in love happens, creating a complex mess of lies, shenanigans, and fun. I will admit that the film isn't all that original where the muder mystery is cincerned, and it pretty much ends how you think it will, but I didn't really mind it so much, because I found it very entertaining to watch Allen and Johansson go through the motions of playing detectives.

It comes off, and I mean this with the highest amount of respect and sincerity, like a neurotic cross between Scooby Doo and typical Woody Allen. The film is very light and not really all that significant, but it's quote entertaining, very fun, and well played.

Allen is typical Allen, and, even though he's no longer groundbreaking with his schtick, he's still endearing. Johansson is fun and plucky as Sondra, and I can see why she's been somewhat of a potential muse for Allen over the past decade. Huge Jackman is quite good as the suave playboy Peter, but for me, I really enjoyed seeing Ian McShane as the deceased journalist Joe Strombel. His interactions in the afterlife are a joy, and it's just fun seeing him trade banter with a writer like Woody.

This is a nice little romp, but it's best looked at as a lazy afternoon watch sort of thing. It would probably help if you're a diehard of someone in the cast too. Being that I am, I found the film rather agreeable, even though I wouldn't have minded something more substantial. It's got good classical music typical of Woody's films, a few sequences that are, cinematically speaking, not bad, and of course Woody's typical humor and charm.

All in all, it's okay, but like I said, you probably should only see this if you're really a completist or a die hard.
FilmFanatik
½ June 27, 2011
Woody Allen has yet to disappoint me, and also never failed to entertain me. Scoop is a bit of a different affair than one would normally be used to from his work, but that doesn't matter. What Allen does is create intriguing characters with intriguing situations, build a story around it and make it all happen. Some might accuse this film of visiting very familiar territory, but not really Allen's. My very minor complaint is the beginning of the film, which isn't quite as strong as the rest of it. Other than that, I loved it. I especially loved seeing Ian McShane pop up in it, as well as Charles Dance, who I never see in anything these days. Woody Allen also has a habit of using well-known actors in very small parts, which people tend to criticize him for, but I just see it as a well-rounded cast wherein even the background characters look interesting. Maybe that's just me. Either way, this is a great little dark comedy and I highly recommend it.
½ January 16, 2011
I really was not impressed with this at all. The only good thing about this is Hugh Jackman and Scarlett Johansson. Sadly, their presence is squandered by the dimming star known as Woody Allen. He hogs the screen every chance he gets with a character that no one cares about. Had this truly centered on the relationship between Scarlett Jo and Australian Megaton Hugh Jackman, it would've been a great movie. Woody Allen should stay behind the scenes from now on.
½ July 28, 2010
Wonderfully Woody Allen, this film just doesn't get as much credit as it deserves. It's well thought out and diabolically funny, with hints of Johansson charm and Allen comedy fit to burst.
½ July 3, 2010
I've seen thousands of films, but never a Woody Allen film. I've seen Antz, but that's about it. I haven't been purposefully avoiding them, it's just kind of turned out that way. I'm well aware that many regard his latest efforts as sub-par compared with his classic work, but as a newcomer, this was very enjoyable and engaging stuff. Like a lighthearted Hitchcock, Allen weaves the murder mystery/romance plot with expert precision. There are some questionable moments, such as Allen casting himself in a thankless role which just allows him to improvise. I liked the returning from the dead idea, but appreciated it not being overused. There are some excellent small casting decisions, and the leads play it well. Jackman is never above suspicion, nor is he creepy and slimy. Not as funny as it often tries to be, but an entertaining watch.
February 3, 2010
I loved Scarlett Johansson in Match Point and Vicky Christina Barcelona, but this just wasn't a good role for her. Actually, I think that this would have been a bad role for anyone. Allen seemed to be simply indulging himself here, and the lack of effort really shows.

I'll admit that I laughed a few times at some of Woody's dialogue, but that hardly made up for this movies myriad flaws. None of the characters were the least bit likeable or relatable. Jackman lacked the charm and menace that his role required, and Johansson's character seemed annoying, thick and disingenuous, when the film appeared to want the viewer to see her as inquisitive and endearingly awkward. I know that both these actors can portray these qualities, because I've seen them do it before. This leaves me no choice but to once again place the blame on the lackluster writing and characterization.

I'm struggling to find positive things to say, because I didn't exactly hate the movie...but all that comes to mind are negatives. The ghost angle was half-baked, the ending was as anti-climactic as they come, and I never imagined that the world of London's upper-crust (or serial killers) could be made to appear so boring and pedestrian. Scoop simply wasn't a very good movie.
½ February 7, 2007
While I've never been a big fan of Woody Allen's comedies of the 70s and 80s, but to be fair didn't give them a lot of chances yet, his recent films do have a certain appeal. This is another one from his European phase, a very enjoyable mix of thriller and comedy. Johansson is wonderful as curious journalism student stumbling over a murder case the ghost of an investigative journalist pointed her to. Her chemistry with Allen, the magician helping her is excellent and the director throws out funny lines by the minute. Jackman is charming and stunning as always. While you think you got the story figured out after a while, things are not entirely as predictable as they seem. The funnest parts are Johansson and Allen arguing anyway. That makes for a very entertaining film, nothing spectacular but worth a watch.
LWOODS04
August 7, 2009
Scoop, was a good movie. It had some funny moments. I enjoyed Woody Allen's character. I thought he and Scarlett had good chemistry. Scarlett and Hugh and great chemistry as well. It was predictable. But still worth the watch.
½ April 24, 2007
Scoop is a good movie, and may have only suffered crtically because it isn't Woody Allen's best work. It's light and predictable, but punctuated by "crossing the river Styx" scenes just absurd enough that it works. I resent Hugh Jackman for being as charming as I'm not, and though I still really don't like Scarlett Johanssen, she didn't crash this movie... she did, however, take a lot of acting cues from her director and co-star (Allen), to the point of mirroring him in many scenes and making the dialogue just watchable enough. As always with Allen, the film is well-written and neurotic enough that the corniest of jokes are actually funny. I truly enjoyed it.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ July 21, 2007
This is, quite simply, one of most wonderfully hilarious films I've seen in a long, long time.

Everyone's in top form here. Jackman and Johansson deliver point-perfect performances, giving us in both their cases characters you wouldn't expect; Jackman as a charming British nobleman (with a flawless accent from the Aussie) and Johansson as a slightly nerdy, slightly immature, but incredibly persistent college journalism student. See if you can suppress a giggle when she snorts while laughing.

But Woody steals the show here, at his absolute neurotic best, delivering one-liner after one-liner at breakneck speed. The plot keeps you guessing a bit too, but it's really just a medium for the cast to flex their comedic chops.

If you're in the mood for a mystery/comedy, you're going to love Scoop.
August 12, 2008
A Woody Allen project that even though it doesn't play as good as his classics like Annie Hall and Manhattan still gives us a story with a twist that is a breath of fresh air compared to many of the features that are coming out today. A diamond in the rough that doesn't leave you sighing over a cliche that you've seen a thousand times (unless your talking about Woody's acting). Hugh Jackman, Scarlett Johanson, and great Ian McShane (who I wish was in the film more) give the film and acting boost.

I can't forget to throw out the fact that Julian Glover, the man that played some of the greatest villains of the 1980's makes an appearnce (Empire as General Veers, For Your Eyes Only as Kristatos, and Last Crusade as Walter Donovan).
October 25, 2007
Allen does another charming murder mystery, this time far away from his beloved New York. Scarlett Johansson is not much of an actress, but she is always good on the eyes, and she has a very good chemistry with the old Woody. They're also very well supported by Ian McShane and Hugh Jackman. A satisfactory comedy with sharp, witty dialogue and enjoyable Bergmanian and Hitchcockian touches.
puffchunk
½ October 5, 2007
Much better than I anticipated. I thought, 'hey. pretty people, why not.' but any movie that has the grim reaper in it is excellent in my book.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 23, 2007
scarlet is adorable in this one and woody allen basically plays himself but he had some funny lines.
½ October 22, 2007
It seems that every time I'm about to give up on Johansson, she does something like this, drawing me back into her camp : ) I am a fan again, for a while, at least. Jackman fans will probably like this, but they should consider not watching the last part of the movie if they don't want to be heartbroken : ) For me, it's the best thing he's ever done.
½ June 9, 2007
Not bad. I congratulate ScarJo for toning down the sex kitten thing and coming across as very very approachable and quite cute. It had some good laughs, but definitely not what I'd call "classic" Woody.