The Scorpion King Reviews

½ July 12, 2007
More hype than delivery, follow Mr. Dwayne Johnson as he unbelievably waltzes into a fullblown Hollywood movie career playing the same guy he played in the wrestling "arena". Watch as he himself cannot hide his incredulous amazement at his good fortune. In the climatic scene the villain manages to slice the Rock's shirt clean off ... this is light entertainment for the youth in your house.
April 12, 2012
So oddly enough this character was actually loosely based on a real Egyptian leader which does make things a little more interesting, not a franchise saver by any means but its cool to read up on it. This spin off is set 5000 years before the events of 'The Mummy' which does seem rather a long time to me.

Great title, slightly dull execution, we all knew what to expect here, Johnson running around half naked killing endless enemies with no apparent fighting skills. I will be completely truthful here and say this film isn't too bad, if you squint at it its almost pretty good, the fights are solid along with the stunts, cast does the job for the type of film this is and more importantly it actually looks good without any silly cgi to spoil the broth.

If you took out the historical setting you could quite easily say this was a sequel/prequel to the 'Conan' franchise really, its your basic swords n sorcery fantasy just without any monsters, its better than the recent official Conan effort. So yeah...this is not too bad, Kelly Hu looks lovely and Johnson is clearly learning the ropes showing promise.
FiLmCrAzY
September 9, 2007
Well its okay, it'll suffice as a prequel because i doubt you'd get any better!
Its good enough in the action front and special effects!
Theres nothing to special about this movie but its fun enough!
TheDudeLebowski65
½ May 12, 2011
Third entry of The Mummy franchise tells the story of Thew Scorpion King which you'd expect that they would make something good, but unfortunately; it is not to be. The Scorpion King is a terrible action film that has poor story and even poorer acting. The cast for this film is terrible and really most of them seem out of place\. It's a shame because The Scorpion King could have been a terrific film, but it ends being one bad film. The Rock is not so good as The Scorpion King even though he looks cool in the part. Instead of delivering an awesome actioner, director Chuck Russell tones down the blood and plays it safe to secure a PG-13 rating. If this film would've been rated R, I think there could have a lot more accomplished in terms of action. Also like I've said, the story fails and mimmicks tother towering sword & sandle epics of old to very bad results. The film feels stupid, and though its slightly entertaining at times, you can't shake the feeling that it's a poorly made action film. The idea is good, the execution is terrible. They could have done something cool with the story, but it feels to simple and lacks anything great. I've the same action scenes before, it's nothing new. The film is cliched with a bad cast and a bad story. If the screenwriters would've tried a little harder they could've written a superb script and ended up with a film that would've entertained you. Instead the film insults the viewer with barely anything truly original to offer, this will make anyone watching it want his hour and a half back
Marc L.
April 8, 2011
If I were to sum up the Scorpion King in one sentence it would be this: An entertaining, yet cheesy action movie with fantastic action, battle scenes but bad plot. Luckilly for me, I have a few paragraphs to describe it.

Let's start with the bad, so we can move on to the good. This movie doesn't have too much of a plot. Basically it's a ripped guy killing stuff and leading a war against an evil guy. Same old, same old uncreative plot. However, Kelly Hu (My celebrity crush) has a very interesting character that keeps the plot from looking to much like "Conan the Barbarian)There are also a few really, laughably bad sound affects.

Now that we have that done, let's go with the good. Dwayne Johnson is one of the few wrestler's who can actually act. Well, one of the few who can actually act in MOVIES that is. He manages to play a normally non inteteresting character named Matthias and turn him into an interesting one. His performance was actually surprisingly good. Kelly Hu's was pretty amazing too. She made an already interesting character even more interesting (And incredibly attractive too. Just saying)In fact, pretty much all the actors did a good job!

Now let's talk about what has Rock fans going crazy. The action scenes. These were on par with LOTR, and has some of the best action you will ever see (If you can ignore the total cheeseieness of the final battle scene) Especially the desert battle.

Over all, this was a fun movie. Not spectacular, but very, very VERY fun. If your looking for a movie to watch as a film festival, not a smart choice. But if you're just haning out with friends for the night, looking for something fun, you have yourself a can't miss situation.
ScoopOnline
September 5, 2008
Perhaps The Rock should have rejected the Role in this Movie.

I disagree at this point. The Rock was really great in his Role.

I was very surprised how great this Movie was. A piece of Cake.
November 22, 2009
Probably one of the trashiest movies ever made; sponsored by WWE, cheesy lines, characters, subplots, etc. However, I think it's funny that the movie still ends up being fun and for the most part good. The Rock is definitely the key ingredient in this. He's got such a great onscreen presence, almost like an Arnold Schwarzenegger type of likeness. If you liked the first two Mummy movies, this shouldn't be a disappointment. It's just pure fun and should be taken as such.
½ July 23, 2010
C-
½ April 13, 2010
Almost every part of The Scorpion King has been stolen from other films, maybe that's why it's not as bad as you might think. It's still nothing special though but at least it doesn't take itself too seriously!
3niR
January 28, 2010
Watchable.
August 15, 2009
The part where The Rock is buried and has huge ants coming to eat him and he keeps blowing at them is just hilarious. All around good movie.
June 10, 2009
the rock is just plain rock stupid
½ March 24, 2008
A spin-off from The Mummy series delivers some action and beautiful sets but fails to become any good.

In the Mummy Returns, the Scorpion King was portrayed as a world conquerer. In this film he's a charming good guy who's about to save the "world" from a tyrant. Odd, I'd say.

The film is all about showing that The Rock has an on-screen charisma. Ok, he woun't fail his fans. The film is nothing else but a brainless action movie with cheesy one-liners and slow-motioned shots of the heroes kicking their opponents asses. Where's the violence, anyway? I guess Rock's fanbase is mostly 10-13 year old boys so they had to make it suitable for kids...

It looks good, sounds good but isn't any good. Watch Conan instead.
garyX
April 28, 2007
The Rock plays an assassin who is hired to kill a sorceress whose guidance aids the tyrant his people are attempting to overthrow. Conan The Barbarian meets The Arabian Nights in this spin off to Steven Sommers' Mummy franchise, The Rock showing a very similar screen presence to Arnie in his early days. This is basically purely formulaic popcorn film-making; the plot is entirely predictable and the usual catalogue of characters (brave lone warrior, sexy princess in distress, cowardly sidekick, streetwise kid, old eccentric, grudging ally) are all present and correct. But Dwayne's background as a pro-wrestler holds him in good stead for some energetic fights sequences, there's enough tongue in cheek humour to maintain the interest and it's cheerfully unpretentious. Completely forgettable but entertaining for the duration, and it's a little better than Sommers' own sequel The Mummy Returns.
April 3, 2008
A big, thrilling and mega-fun action movie filled with spectacular action sequences, wild laughs, great characters and adreniline-pumping adventure.
½ May 31, 2007
A good spin off from The Mummy films. This follows the stroy of the Scorpion King from the Mummy Returns, played by the Rock. Quite similar in many ways, it has the same visual feel of the Mummy films if the story is not as good. Still worth watching.
½ July 5, 2007
Like I said before, I love all the movies in the mummy series. This one is really good.
July 1, 2007
If you like "The Mummy" series, you can't not enjoy this. A good outing by The Rock....
June 25, 2007
About as good as The Mummy series. Kelly Hu at least gives you something to look at.
June 14, 2007
It's ram packed with lots of action, great quotes, and a sweet storyline. Unfortunatley the majority of it, is way out in the fantasy land, and The Rock at times seems immortal - but, too me, it was such a good movie - none of that really mattered.