Scott Walker: 30 Century Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scott Walker: 30 Century Man Reviews

March 24, 2012
If you have an appreciation for the music of the Walker Brothers, or even Scott Walker then this is a must. The story itself is fairly interesting albeit mostly an interview with Walker backed up by some famous talking heads. Personally I now see how a lot of the artists I'm into have been influenced by Walker but I'm in no hurry to delve into his discography as it sounds like the soundtrack of nightmares.
½ August 3, 2014
"Scott Walker: 30 Century Man" é um negócio traiçoeiro: se por um lado oferece um diverso manancial de apontamentos e opiniões ilustres sobre a música do homem, também delimita o alcance da imaginação ao oferecer dados concretos para tantos pontos que até aí eram incógnitas bem mais estimulantes. Pessoalmente, e acerca do que o documentário mostra das sessões de "The Drift", não sei se prefiro desconhecer a origem de todo aquele horror ou ver Scott Walker a explicar como deseja que o percussionista esmurre um grande naco de carne. Mas há aqui um saudável e raro atrevimento em mostrar a reacção das várias pessoas enquanto escutam a música tantas vezes incómoda de Scott Walker. Só por isso valia a pena dar-lhe uma oportunidade.
½ July 26, 2014
very well done treatment of the legend of scott walker. great choices made throughout.
March 23, 2014
nothing like a doc about a genuinely messed-up guy. brilliant
January 19, 2013
Excellent insight into the beautifully accosting universe of Scott Walker's music.
June 5, 2011
A fascinating documentary on one of the most radical minds in music history.

P.S. I recommend listening to his albums Tilt and the Drift before watching this.
August 21, 2012
Si les gusta Radiohead, David Bowie... Sonic Youth, vean este documental. He dicho.
½ January 7, 2012
Eye-opening! Watch it with an open-mind...
½ January 29, 2012
Interesting doc on the little known Scott Walker. I preferred his music from the 60's, but some of his more recent stuff, if nothing else, is interesting and thought provoking. Turns out this guy has influenced a wide range of artists, many of which in awe of this guy. Because of this movie, I now have a new artist to search out....
November 29, 2011
Really interesting. With music documentaries like this I usually already know a fair bit about the iconic figures being covered, but I previously knew very little about Scott Walker and had never actually seen him give any interviews before, so I was surprised and pleased to find he collaborated extensively for this exploration of his life and music. He came across as fascinating rather than pretentious and someone who really cares about his musical output, especially after mistakes he made in other junctures of his career. I knew some of his music before watching this, even having a soft spot for the very experimental Tilt album, but this documentary has piqued my interest to such an extent that I would quite like to explore every album he did both as a solo artist and with the Walker Brothers.
October 17, 2011
This is very oddly made but it is still very interesting.
August 14, 2011
Enigmatic man who influenced just about every favorite band/artist of mine: Marc Almond, Bowie, Pulp, Damon Albarn...
½ July 8, 2011
really interesting if you like watching docs about music or musicians. Scott walker is undoubtedly one of the pioneers of pop.
½ June 25, 2011
Scott Walker was unknown to me before I watched this. I am going to do a little research on him and see which albums are available.
June 23, 2011
shallow and sad, every ten minutes the doc changes styles. Just a mess.
April 21, 2011
I loved, loved, LOVED the opening third of this documentary, when it was dealing with Walker's first four (IMHO superb) solo albums from the 60's. It lost me when it went off to concentrate on his much later work which, personally, leaves me stone cold. Nice to see behind the curtain of this legendary, mysterious performer though.
½ February 26, 2009
Scott Walker's music is an acquired taste -- a taste that I've only partially acquired myself -- but I feel no such ambivalence about this documentary. Fascinating from beginning to end. The tale of this shadowy musician's rise, fall, transformation and rebirth seems so archetypal that one half-expects the credits to reveal it's a work of fiction...some knowing pastiche or myth dreamed up by an imaginative music fanatic. But no, this is fact.

My one small misgiving is that the film is rather UK-centric. The contemporary musicians interviewed are all trendy UK tastemakers, and often they're not nearly as well-known in the United States. This leaves most Americans without an easy entry point into the tale. Walker's impact may be dominantly overseas but, if so, then we could have used more insight as to why he's such a marginal cult figure in the States.
½ March 23, 2011
Solid if unexceptional documentary about a very interesting musician. I definitely wanna look into his '60s/'70s work.
February 20, 2011
Along the same lines at the Jandek documentary of a few years ago, but equally as interesting and mystifying. If you want to peer into the mind of a man making some of the most avant-garde music today, this is a must see.