Movies Like Scott Walker: 30 Century Man

97% Orphan Black: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Scott Walker: 30 Century Man Reviews

March 23, 2014
nothing like a doc about a genuinely messed-up guy. brilliant
June 5, 2011
A fascinating documentary on one of the most radical minds in music history.

P.S. I recommend listening to his albums Tilt and the Drift before watching this.
August 21, 2012
Si les gusta Radiohead, David Bowie... Sonic Youth, vean este documental. He dicho.
January 7, 2012
Eye-opening! Watch it with an open-mind...
January 29, 2012
Interesting doc on the little known Scott Walker. I preferred his music from the 60's, but some of his more recent stuff, if nothing else, is interesting and thought provoking. Turns out this guy has influenced a wide range of artists, many of which in awe of this guy. Because of this movie, I now have a new artist to search out....
November 29, 2011
Really interesting. With music documentaries like this I usually already know a fair bit about the iconic figures being covered, but I previously knew very little about Scott Walker and had never actually seen him give any interviews before, so I was surprised and pleased to find he collaborated extensively for this exploration of his life and music. He came across as fascinating rather than pretentious and someone who really cares about his musical output, especially after mistakes he made in other junctures of his career. I knew some of his music before watching this, even having a soft spot for the very experimental Tilt album, but this documentary has piqued my interest to such an extent that I would quite like to explore every album he did both as a solo artist and with the Walker Brothers.
August 14, 2011
Enigmatic man who influenced just about every favorite band/artist of mine: Marc Almond, Bowie, Pulp, Damon Albarn...
June 25, 2011
Scott Walker was unknown to me before I watched this. I am going to do a little research on him and see which albums are available.
March 23, 2011
Solid if unexceptional documentary about a very interesting musician. I definitely wanna look into his '60s/'70s work.
February 20, 2011
Along the same lines at the Jandek documentary of a few years ago, but equally as interesting and mystifying. If you want to peer into the mind of a man making some of the most avant-garde music today, this is a must see.
acknowledge101
January 25, 2011
didn't learn much of what i didn't already know. scott walker is brilliant though; already knew that too. best parts are the few snippets of interview we get from the man himself.
August 10, 2010
(Watched Fri 28 Mar 2008)
NegativeHalo
August 2, 2010
People will see this film and think, "Oh Scott Walker, what an original sound sculptor, what a visionary." Little does anyone know that Walker has been stealing my ideas for decades! It was me who started the tuneless wailing trend, OK? And,while Walker was influenced by Jacques Brel, it was moi who during my years in European exile taught Brel how to write lyrics, for crying out loud. (He got real famous too and never stayed in touch. Thanks for nothing, Jacques.) Plus, I was using animal carcasses as instruments when Scott Walker was still growing his short and curlies. But do the critics and film documentarians pay any attention to that? What about my "Cantata for Road Kill" that included two dead squirrels, a run-over opossum, a half-decomposed beaver and the hindquarters of a goat? A revolutionary work, but does Brian Eno tell interviewers how much my work changed his life? Does David Bowie kiss my hand and ask me out to lunch? Does Alison Goldfrapp wonder how I'm doing? Hell no! Instead Scott Walker makes off with all MY brilliant ideas and then collects the respect and adulation. I'm so frustrated, I think I'll retire to my recording studio right now and punch some pork bellies.
pishpishposh
May 6, 2010
It is such a shame that many people don't know or have forgotten about Scott Walker. Mostly known notoriously in the sixties when he was in the Walker Brothers band, his fame has gone through many highs and lows through out the years. This is an intimate look at his story & music career as told and remembered by his many admirers and even interviews with himself. It is touching to hear him talk about the Walker Brothers era to becoming a recluse and making a triumphant return to the music scene as a composer. There are glimpses of him making the soundtrack to Leo Carax's Pola X.

You begin to understand that the music he creates is so deep and emotional and comes from a secret internal place no one can possibly describe. Sometimes it's even provocative as his lyrics range from a variety of topics from war to sadomasochistic love affairs. He has inspired musicians from David Bowie to Radiohead shown in the documentary as well. The man is a true poet, an artist, and innovator that is always trying different approaches to his music that is such an inspirational force.
Nicki M

May 1, 2010
I had never heard of Scott Walker, but I found this documentary very interesting, and also his music very interesting (especially as his career goes on). Includes interviews from a lot of other good musicians such as Jarvis Cocker and David Bowie.
The Antidiva
April 26, 2010
I think I watched the last 30 minutes without breathing. All I ever knew of Scott Walker was his Jacques Brel side, and was somewhat bored with the movie until it got to his later, more experimental music, then I couldn't stop watching! I had no idea what this man was about, and now I'm captivated.
sjeunette
April 20, 2010
SCOTT WALKER: 30 CENTURY MAN is a rare glimpse into the creative world of the most enigmatic figure in rock history, and will trace the undeniable impact he has had on popular music through casual interviews with some of his biggest, highest profile fans.

We explore his fascinating trajectory, from jobbing bass player on LA's Sunset Strip, to his domination of the British pop scene that began in the swinging summer of 1965, to his transformation into a composer of true genius; an uncompromising and serious musician working at the peak of his powers.

At age 63, over the course of 2005, he went into the studio again, working on what could be his greatest artistic statement yet - and we were invited to document part of this process ? a privilege no filmmaker has ever been granted.
kylie j.
February 3, 2010

At age 63, over the course of 2005, he went into the studio again, working on what could be his greatest artistic statement yet - and we were invited to document part of this process -- a privilege no filmmaker has ever been granted.
rubystevens
rubystevens

May 9, 2008
a fascinating look at the reclusive musician, who rose from boy band pop icon of the 60's to a truly avant garde artist. not as well known as he should be, especially in his native america (not that he cares), his influence can be heard from bowie to the the smiths to radiohead and beyond. his dramatic baritone voice, painting extraordinary images with abstract poetry, sounds like nobody else. i hadn't heard of him til fairly recently, my bad, but i certainly admire his courageous creative spirit and loyalty to his unique muse. and i'm acquiring a taste for his music too. he's still recording, every 10 years or so, most recently the drift in 2006.