19% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Reviews

John M

August 20, 2010
This movie is so much fun!!! I dont even know where to begin. Totally new and offbeat.
Daniel P

January 2, 2014
Original, fun, fantastical and yet: it's an everyday story, too. Big metaphor, big animation, strong young ensemble cast and a killer soundtrack... an instant classic.
Alice S

August 22, 2010
Upon first viewing, I found the movie enjoyable but unsubstantial. It occurred to me that I didn't dig the story so much as I dug the cute video game sound effects, the quick non sequiturs, the flash cuts, Michael Cera's spastic bass-playing, Mary Elizabeth Winstead's deadpan delivery, Ellen Wong's adorable geeking-out, and Alison Pill's sourpuss moue interrupONE-TWO-THREE-FOUR!

There's plenty to like, but the love story rings typical. The erstwhile girlfriend gives her blessing, and the movie's eponymous hero gets the girl even though the last battle seems to hint that both Scott and Ramona need to do some real growing up on their own. If Scott HAS to wind up with anybody, the alternate ending with Knives is sweeter, more realistic, and more redemptive (since she actually fights for Scott in the end).

Upon second viewing, I enjoyed it better for the kooky performances of actors whom I didn't know well three years ago and have since then grown to love, for instance lean and cut Chris Evans, mean and awkward Aubrey Plaza, pixie pipsqueak Mae Whitman, and the aforementioned, versatile and frazzly-dazzly Alison Pill.
Jens S

July 5, 2010
The premise of someone having to fight the evil ex-lovers of his new flame is great, of course. To do so by making it all look like arcade video games with extra lives, coins and combos is just as fantastic. Add some indie garage rock to the mix and you have the nerdiest love story ever. The dialogs are highly entertaining, also thanks to the fantastic cast. Particularly amusing: former "Superman" Routh and "Captain America" Evans mocking their superhero roles as two of the evil exes. There should have been more of Culkin's gay roommate and Kendrick as little sister, though. Their talents and fun characters are slightly underused during the second half. While the fights are fun, awesomely choreographed and all have a unique idea to them, things still get a bit repetitive once Pilgrim is thrown through the 5th wall or so. It also bugged me a bit what big a deal was made out of Pilgrim's ex being "only" 17, while Ramona dating jerks was not much of an issue. Still, between all the pop-ups, WOWs and sound effects you hardly have much time to wonder about such things and just enjoy the ride.
But to be honest: the movie is probably impossible to watch for everyone who never was much of a gamer or into garage rock. God help them.
cosmo313
cosmo313

July 7, 2010
Simply put: this one is essentially a game changer.

I say that, but, fair warning, this is also a film of its time and for people of a certain generation/type. This is a hyper-kinetic, sensually (sight/sound) stunning, and wildly entertaining loveletter to gamers, hipsters, youtube generation, and nerds (in general). This is not just a geek/nerd wet dream, it's a full on five-alarm nerdgasm of the highest order. There are so many jokes, references, sight gags, and sound gags packed into basically every frame that there's no telling how long it would take to catch or make note of them all.

This film is essentially a live action video game about a goofy Canadian slacker in a mediocrce band who meets and falls in love with the literal girl of his dreams. In order to be with her though, he has to embark on a classic hero's quest and defeat her seven evil exes. In this regard, it is sort of a genre film, yet due to its style and all the crazy stuff going on, it's really in a class all its own.

This may be an adaptation, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is wildly original, unique, and had me constantly thinking "I've never seen/heard THAT before!" This marks a bit of a change for Edgar Wright, It's his first non-R rated film, and is also a more mainstream effort for him. This isn't him selling out though; Oh no, far from it. It's got his touches all over it, and is still an original work of art.

The cast is wonderful. Michael Cera avoids completely "doing his thing" and does a great job of embodying the goofy slacker that isn't completely likeable even though we root for him. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is perfect as the girl of Scott's dreams. Her hair is great and her eyes are killer. Ellen Wong is a scream as Scott's obsessive girlfriend that he abandons for Ramona. As far as the rest of the large cast-they're also all pretty good. In particular, Mae Whitman rocks, Chris Evans is fun, Kieran Culkin is a real scene stealer, and Jason Schwartzman makes for a delightful villain. I'm not sure whose deadpan-ness is more fun to watch- Aubrey Plaza or Alison Pill- I loved 'em both.

For everything about it that rules, and kick ass, and breaks ground, this film isn't quite perfect. The style trumps story. There is a story, and it's a good one, but the focus is over all the other stuff. That's not a complete problem, but the characters as a result are just a tad undercooked. It's hard to really get too emotionally attached about these people (or as attached as we should). Also, the middle drags somewhat. I actually wish the film were longer. I've not yet read the source material, but I hear this film tried to cram all six books into this movie. It probably would have been a better idea just split things up into like a trilogy or something.

The biggest thing holding this movie back lies with accessibility. My parents, if they saw this film, would no doubt be dazed, confused, and probably not "get" it. Even my brother who is only four years older than me may not dig this.

All of that aside, this is a fun, inventive, and amazing film. It is ambitious, epic, dazzling, and tries to maybe do too much. It doesn't fully succeed here, but there's so much that is great that it is easy to bypass what little flaws there are.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

February 9, 2013
I had my reservations about watching this film, and with good reason. Michael Cera is an annoying actor with limited acting range. The problem with him is that he is one dimensional and he plays one character. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is a decent comedy that I find to be overrated a bit. The film is certainly entertaining, but it's not what everyone has claimed it to be. I felt the film could have been better and that some of the comedy could have been reworked on a bit because most of the time, I felt it fell flat. The film's saving grace is Chris Evans as the main villain of the movie, I felt that he lit up the screen with his presence and he was the best thing about the film. In the end you
michael e.
michael e.

October 14, 2010
though i haven't read the graphic novel seeing this film really makes me want to. Its definetly the most creative film ive seen in years. Great effects, hilarious jokes like the part where the chinese girl comes over and scott leaps out the window, it brings to mind the moment from the wizard of oz where the lion gets so scared that he runs out the window. i also love the use of classic video game noises such as the sonic the hedgehog ring collection sound, the mario shrink noise, and the zelda link to the past music and sound effects.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

May 30, 2010
I "get it" i just don't think it's funny, clever or amusing.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

August 5, 2012
Very unique. Packed with wacky visuals, an interesting soundtrack and some decent laughs. However, most of this film will only appeal younger generations and adults may not catch onto certain jokes/lines. With acting, highlights are Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. When it comes to fight scenes, they are fast, clever and gripping. Close to a must watch for anyone 18 or under.
Daniel Mumby
Daniel Mumby

September 7, 2010
When I reviewed Gregory's Girl, I argued that coming-of-age movies are both thin on substance and have a limited lifespan. Films as varied as American Graffiti and Dirty Dancing revolve around the same old stories of young love and heartbreak; the ones that last are not just those that evoke their period, but which contain some form of deeper truth about the process of growing up.

Being a young man still very much within the coming-of-age bracket, it is hard to me to say how good Scott Pilgrim vs. the World will look in ten years' time, when the gaming world has moved on and young people no longer talk like extras from Juno. All that can be said right now, two years on, is that this is one of the best coming-of-age comedies in a long, long time.

For starters, Wright has managed to make a film about video games which doesn't feel like a video game adaptation. The plot on paper does seem like a video game: defeat a series of bosses to win points and get the girl. But unlike, for instance, Tomb Raider, the film doesn't feel like you are watching someone else playing a game and expecting you to be interested. The fight sequences feel like natural continuations of the story, and the character development in-between is a damn sight more complex and insightful than the swathes of exposition in something like Silent Hill.

The film has an extraordinary visual style which is somewhere between Tron and Sin City. Like Tron, you feel at moments like you are inside a video game rather than just a spectator. And as in Sin City, the film retains a very literal comic book structure, albeit without the dull pomposity of Robert Rodriguez' film. The video game elements in both the design and the content of the battles are used to complement and enhance the conflict; the powers gained and used by Scott and his foes do not become distracting goals unto themselves.

Like the comic it is based upon, Scott Pilgrim jumps from one form of reality to another without warning. There are many flights of fantasy which are either poignant or hilarious, and the film explores issues of love and death with a fascinating alacrity. It makes no bones about its comic book violence, shooting the battles in a playful and entertaining manner with minimal focus on any lingering amount of pain. We still believe the characters are in danger, but as in Christopher Nolan's Batman movies there is no real need to demonstrate their danger beyond stylised forms of suggestion.

Several moments in the film really stick in one's mind. Towards the end, Pilgrim is 'killed' by Gideon, the last of the evil exes played brilliantly by Jason Schwartzman. He finds himself in some kind of desert, identical to the dream in which he first saw Ramona. He then uses the 'life' he had gained before to replay all the previous events and finally defeat Gideon. Having the exes shatter into piles of coins when defeated is ingenious, as is the spectacle of sound waves forming into two dragons and taking on a giant aural gorilla during the battle of the bands.

Despite its large quantities of geeky references to video games and the like, the film gets away with it for the simple reason that it doesn't take itself too seriously. So many other films with video game elements fail as much from being po-faced as they do from being plot-less. For all its visual style, Silent Hill is not scary, and for all its seeming intensity, Max Payne is not exciting. Scott Pilgrim, on the other hand, has an incredible and knowing lightness of touch. It drifts like its central character from one scene to another, paying enough attention to follow what's going on while still finding time to escape into fantasy and have fun.

The film is laugh-out-loud funny from beginning to end, with jokes coming so thick and fast that you struggle to keep up or breathe. The humour comes in all shapes and sizes, from physical slapstick to witty one-liners. We have Wallace, Scott's gay roommate, who hits on everyone's boyfriends and can seemingly text Scott's overprotective sister even whilst slipping into unconsciousness. We have Todd, the third evil ex, whose status as an arrogant vegan has given him psychic powers. We have the Japanese twins, who look like a bizarre marriage between Kraftwerk and Siegfried & Roy. And we have all of Scott's embarrassing verbal slip-ups, such as confusing 'love' for 'lesbians' and asking Ramona if she's into drugs.

Jokes like this drift very close to the more putrid adolescent comedies, like National Lampoon's Animal House, Porky's or Superbad. But despite all the moments where we cringe at the characters' actions, Scott Pilgrim is not out to make us wriggle uncomfortably in our seats. The more intimate scenes, including those of Ramona in her underwear, are shot with an underlying sense of respect. The film treats its female characters on a level playing field, not just by demonstrating they can fight as well as the men, but by refusing to fall into the trap of laughing at their misfortune during the break-up scenes.

In the midst of all the belly laughs and eye-popping visuals, Scott Pilgrim is a very tender treatment of young love, demonstrating not just how to get the girl but how to deal with the baggage that goes with all relationships. Both Scott and Ramona have issues with commitment, with the latter admitting that she went through a phase of being a total bitch. And like in Gregory's Girl, there is the faint suggestion that the girl Scott falls for may not be the one he is destined to be with. In the original draft of the screenplay, which preceded the final comics, he ends up with Knives instead.

In defeating the evil exes, Pilgrim is not just standing up to other people's demons but also confronting his own insecurities, and in going so gaining self-respect. The film genuinely conveys the sense of heartbreak on both sides which comes at the end of a relationship, and it doesn't pretend that our heroes are perfectly compatible and therefore destined to be together. Ramona's changing hair colour and tendency to withdraw both represents the fragile nature of love and encapsulates the modern age of complicated relationships and how hard communication can be despite (or perhaps because of) new technology.

The performances in Scott Pilgrim are all of a high calibre. Michael Cera, who can often be annoying, puts in his best performance since Juno, taking his familiar dweeby character and refining it to make Scott genuinely empathetic rather than simply pitiful. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is terrific as Ramona, possessing a sense of mystery while being completely natural and down-to-earth. Kieran Cullin is hilarious as Wallace, and Brandon Routh is very good as Todd, turning in a performance which is a million times more charismatic than his work in Superman Returns.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is one of the best films of 2010 and is destined to be a cult classic. It isn't quite a masterpiece, being slightly too long and feeling somewhat rough around the edges. It takes time to adjust to its peculiar execution, and I would be hard-pushed to say it was Wright's best film. But as a document of teenage love and insecurity, it is up there with Juno, and is therefore essential viewing for anyone in their early-20s.
Alexander D

July 20, 2011
Visually, SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD is unique and absolutely marvelous. Iā(TM)m not all that familiar with the graphic novel this is based on (but now Iā(TM)m dying to read it), but clearly the intent of the filmmakers was to make this adaptation as literally faithful to the graphic novel as possible. If you thought 2003ā²s HULK looked like an onscreen comic book, your mind will be blown with SCOTT PILGRIM. This is, in fact, every ounce an onscreen comic book meant to demonstrate the nerdy lifestyle of the titular character. When we hear a doorbell ring, a faded āding-dongā? glides across the screen, Ć  la the presentation of onomatopoeia in such literary formats. When a character becomes suddenly excited, handdrawn lines appear to protrude from the edges of his or her head. The fight sequences are even better, homaging old video games rather than comic books. Iā(TM)m not a fan of old video games, nor do I take much interest in video games, generically, but I found these scenes to be the most fun. Anybody who has visited an arcade should recognize the parodic mood offered. In a routinely comedic manner, these scenes start with a shot of two opponents facing each other, grouped together by a title reading āVSā?; continue on with corny, electronic sound effects; and end with the defeated opponent collapsing into a pile of coins. I watched this afraid of what may happen. I remember being taken aback by the ridiculously odd trailers I had seen two years ago, but I couldnā(TM)t recall to you one bad review Iā(TM)d read for this. SCOTT PILGRIM is without a doubt the prime example of how much fun you can have with a film that is so incredibly weird.
Albert K

October 27, 2011
Like one fellow Flixster reviewer said, "Bloody hell, Ritalin anyone?" That basically sums up what "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" is. Neon-hued numbers flashing up indicating points awarded, the words "THONK, BAM, BANG" popping up like a comic book, and "Anime"-like intense close-ups to the fighter's eyes is the name of the game here. You're gonna need to suspend all disbelief cause "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" isn't afraid to let it all loose, and it does so with wondrous results.

This is a flashy, fun, fast-paced, and quirky movie chock full of references to gaming. You ain't a gaming fan? You're not gonna enjoy this. Not digging the full immersion of a laid back nerd fest that's about flash, not class? Then you're not down for this movie. In an ironic way, I'm not one to embrace eccentrically bizarre movies like this one, but in a way, it worked. The plot takes a backseat, but in return, we get a thoroughly thought out and original style unlike any other movie out there. "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World". C'mon, just look at the title; its reminiscent to a plethora of fighter-game titles out there. That's what it basically is: A game fused with real life, morals, lessons, and events with full indicators of status bars, game points, and power-ups; it's ingeniously well-done. All the things we movie lovers have come to become familiar with regarding movies (like how love is denying oneself, getting through the past by dealing with it, and staying true to yourself) are all realized via video game achievements or failures. It's a film that's marinated in style, but truth be told, it isn't as fun as it should be. The pacing really takes a lot of oil to spark up in the beginning, acting could've been better, the script could've been much more dense, and attempts to inject comedy in the mix would, at the most, leave me at a slight chuckle, but nevertheless, "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" had a style that was too convincing and technically sound to deny. So much to respect here and though it was a great time, it wasn't AS entertaining as it should've been -- just a personal preference. In no way does this make "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" a bad movie -- in fact, it's great, but my admiration to this title leans more towards its embrace for the unusual and style, not its entertainment value.

Ironically, the plot itself suffers, but it shares the same narrative drive as many "Anime"-series' do: it isn't an innovative or endearing plot with intricate character development and virtuous plot turns, but it engages viewers through a testosterone build-up of stronger and stronger villains that the protagonist must face. C'mon, you weren't into Dragonball Z, Naruto, and Bleach for their deep and endearing narratives -- it was the action and characters. The movie is all about how Michael Cera, the title character, must fight through Ramona Flowers' 7 Exes in order to win her heart. And the more and more he treads upon this "dangerous road", the more tougher and evil these exes get. Pretty straight forward plot, but what makes it engaging is how the journey's filled with new power-ups, turns, and special powers that the villains carry. All in all, it's a testosterone pump-up of a movie that a no-namer must defeat unbelievably powerful enemies. Like I said -- it's an "Anime"-narrative-driven plot and it is the only driving quality of this otherwise rite and simplistic storyline.

Though this may seem like the loudest movie of 2010, it is innovative and infectiously engaging due to its luminous flair, that proudly shows off its love for the gaming culture. It's not a stupid movie either; gaming and movie fans will see these two mediums' cultural influences intricately intertwined in harmony which will naturally leave one dazzled. There's a lot to recognize here -- it's entertaining, but not as entertaining as it should be.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 16, 2011
Scott Pilgrim's plot isnt that entirely good but visually its amazing and its also quite funny.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

August 17, 2010
Wow okay, really not my sort of movie!
I felt i was on cocaine, it is a crazy and weird way of making a movie! I'm not a huge fan of the comic book style way it was made and it just wasnt interesting enough for me to finish watching the movie!
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

November 27, 2011
Kind of awesome and stuff.
Anthony L

September 12, 2011
Bloody hell, Ritalin anyone? Scott Pilgrim vs. the World has got to be the most original, fast-paced and successful adaptation of a comic in recent years. Wow. It was hard to keep up at times but as much as this film made me feel old, it was a real kick to the retinas - and I mean that in the best possible way. Edgar Wright very much doing what he does best, with a brilliant cast of young talent - I enjoyed it very much and is probably one of my top favourites of 2010.
jamers2011
jamers2011

December 10, 2010
Wow! What a great movie. Comedies like these tend to not settle well for me, so I was very skeptical about this one. I gave it a shot and it did not dissapoint. I absolutely loved this film!
A smart, unique film that cannot be missed. I love the way the videogame sounds and comic book images were incorporated. It truly sets this film apart. I must mention the dialogue; a great script with perfect lines at the right time. So hilarious! "You punched my boob....prepare to die, obviously," "You made me swallow my gum. That's going to be in my digestive tract for 7 years."
At times, the clever, bizzare, quirkiness of this film left me in a state of confusion as to whether or not what I was watching was literal. However, in this particular film, the confusion is part of the joy of watching. It's oddity is so brilliantly executed that the seemingly ridiculous story makes for a very good film. I absolutely loved it!
Everett J

July 20, 2011
My second favorite movie of 2010(first being "Inception"). This is one of, if not the most, original movies of that last ten plus years. It's basically a live action video game where a guy has to defeat his girlfriend's seven evil exes. Michael Cera is absolutely perfect as Scott Pilgrim. He brings humor, sensitivity, and a likability to the character that I doubt anyone else could pull off. You genuinely root for him to win each battle. The exes as all awesome. My favorite is the vegan(Brandon Routh), their conflict is hilarious and the highlight of the movie. The effects in this movie are actually quite simple, but very awesome. Just words floating along the screen, or old Nintendo-esque graphics add character to movie that just drips with personality. Some people may be put off with the movie. A lot goes on, and the movie is pretty busy, and fast paced. But it's original, fun, and a real blast to watch again and again.
garyX
garyX

August 14, 2010
A wannabe rock star slacker living in Toronto meets the woman of his dreams but finds he has to defeat her 7 evil exes to win her heart. To a videogame playing comic book nerd with a love of ironic humour such as myself, Scott Pilgrim (on paper at least) seems like the perfect movie. Essentially Chasing Amy dressed up with Matrix style visuals, it's a comedy that actually fails to deliver much in the way of laughs. The US sitcom characters were all rather unlikeable and annoying (Michael Cera in particular really needs to start turning the record over) and it's trying SO HARD to be self-consciously cool it's nearly giving itself an aneurysm. The plot is also next to non-existent, the big "growing as a person" revelation is Cera admitting that cheating on his ex and dumping her was a bit of a douchey thing to do (no shit) and really it's just like watching an "ironic" Mortal Kombat with fancy window dressing. The sugar frosted visuals themselves are also a bit like eating a triple chocolate, chocolate chip cookie; delicious at first, but after a while you realise your teeth are hurting and you feel a little bit sick. It's the kind of idea that would've been great as a half hour skit on Spaced, but drawn out to nearly 2 hours it just wore on my nerves. Kick Ass kicks its ass, basically.
flixsterman
flixsterman

November 30, 2009
I love the concept of a hypothetical fantasy world where geeks and nerds reign supreme but I'm just sick and tired of Michael Cera's shtick.