Scream (1983) - Rotten Tomatoes

TOMATOMETER

——

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

Movie Info

In this chiller, a band of hikers wander into a ghost town where they fall prey to a psycho who murders them one-by-one. The story is also known as The Outing.more
Rating: R

as Charlie
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for Scream

Critic Reviews for Scream

There are no critic reviews yet for Scream. Keep checking Rotten Tomatoes for updates!

Audience Reviews for Scream

½

This movie was incredibly boring. Most of the movie was spent watching the dull characters sit around doing nothing. When anyone actually does get murdered, we don't even get to see it. This is a poor excuse for a horror film.

ajv2688
Aj V

I am not a personal fan of the post-modern slasher era of films jump-started by Wes Craven's 1996 hit "Scream" so it would give me great gratification to tell people that a little seen 1981 slasher that shares it name sake is much better... but I would be lying. This "Scream" is wretchedly written and filmed stalk and slash that I would even go as far to say is the worst slasher from the golden era of the genre that I've seen, even eclipsing such turds as "The Forest" and "Don't Go in the Woods".

We are introduced to a group of hikers canoeing to an abandoned ghost town where they decide to spend the night. Since we know this is a slasher it's safe to assume a killer starts knocking them off one by one.

"Scream" was originally filmed in 1981 as "The Outing" but didn't get wide release until four years later under it's rechristened title. Why is this? Could it be that it sucks? Well if you guessed that then you hit the nail on the head as "Scream" is a horribly written and directed by Bryon Quisenberry who's effort gives the impression of just 'winging it'.

First of all the characters are never established or developed and make some of the most insane, unorthodox decisions known to man. If there's a killer stalking the group then why do they all seem to wander out alone in the middle of the night? Brian Quesenberry also gives the film a slow pace with silted editing and long, boring panning shots. To top it off he never reveals who doing the killing or the motive behind his murders. He tries with a lame potential explanation given by stranger Woody Strode, who wonders into town, but his falls flat and is completely pointless.

With all this other crummy film-making gunking up the screen, at least the film would have slasher essentials like gore and nudity right? WRONG! All the killings are nearly bloodless and most are even off screen. Boobs, another necessity of slashers, are also in zero supply.

"Scream" has a reputation for being one of the worst slashers from the golden era and it lives up to its dire reputation. At least "The Forest" had unintentional laughs and "Don't Go in the Woods" had gore and nudity. All of those ingredients, along with proficient film-making, are lacking in "Scream" only making it watch for the most hardcore slasher fans. Also released on DVD in a double feature "The Barn of the Naked Dead."

Scream Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss Scream on our Movie forum!