The Sea Inside (Mar Adentro) (The Sea Within) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sea Inside (Mar Adentro) (The Sea Within) Reviews

November 14, 2011
For some reason, a cinematic trend exists where there are multiple films based on true stories about people confined to beds or other limiting situations, and their inspiring stories of overcoming their predicaments. There's The Diving Bell and the Butterfly which looked at locked-in syndrome, and the dude learning to communicate solely by blinking; with The Sessions, a bed-ridden poet crippled by polio fights to lose his virginity, and, then there is this film, which looks at the nearly thirty year struggle of Ramon Sampedro to fight for his right to die with dignity after being paralyzed thanks to a diving accident.

For all I know, there could be more of these films. And of these three, this one is probably my least favorite.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good movie, and I really enjoyed it, but I found it to be somewhat underwhelming, and a bit hard to get invested in, or at least compared to the other two I mentioned.

I did like though, that even though the film tackles a controversial subject (euthanasia), Ramon is selfish about it in that he's fighting only for HIS personal right to die with dignity instead of becoming the champion for a cause. Well, I mean, his efforts could be looked at as the basis for a larger campaign, but it's basically just a personal crusade.

The argument for both sides of the issue is addressed, and even some of Ramon's family and close associates don't necessarily agree with him, yet they still look out for him and help care for him, and that's really something.

There are some moments that are truly visually striking, but, unlike The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, this one is less focused on innovative ways to portray the situation, and is primarily a showcase for acting.

And this is where the film is the strongest. Javier Bardem gives easily one of his best performances as Ramon. He spends most of the time in old man makeup and in a bed, but that's no easy task as he's not really able to move on his own besides his head and face a little bit. It's definitely a strong and inspiring performance, but the supporting cast are also quite strong, though this is clearly Bardem's film.

Given the subject matter, you'd think this would be a pretty heavy and serious film, and yeah, for the most part it is. However, it's not completely depressing, and there's a fair amount of humor, which surprised me. Of course, someone in Ramon's situation probably needs to develop some sort of sense of humor to cope, so I shouldn't be that surprised. But still, it was unexpected just how wickedly (and morbidly) funny this guy is.

The film is slightly preachy, but overall let's the viewer decide for themselves what is supposedly right or wrong. Granted, the film does ultimately take a side, but that's not really the point. This is primarily a personal journey, and a reflection of trying to make the most of life despite certain circumstances, even if that means spending that time trying to die because that's what personally seems like the best course of action.

June 24, 2007
Javier Bardem is amazing.
August 15, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
July 15, 2013
"Mar Adentro" é, sem sombra de dúvidas, um dos melhores vencedores do Óscar de "Melhor Filme Estrangeiro" desde os anos 2000 até os dias de hoje.
E porque isto? Primeiro de tudo por contar uma belíssima e comovente história. Segundo por ter Javier Bardem em uma interpretação principal bárbara! Terceiro por ter uma das cenas mais fantásticas que eu já vi em toda (Isto mesmo: toda!) história do cinema (A cena em que Bardem se levanta da cama da qual permaneceu deitado por vinte oito anos e voa janela à fora em direção ao mar)! O belíssimo roteiro escrito por Mateo Gil com a ajuda do diretor do filme Alejandro Amenábar, é um roteiro que opta pela simplicidade e que não busca mostrar que apenas a vida do personagem de Bardem (que ficou tetraplégico após dar um mergulho de cabeça no mar) é um drama interminável - a personagem Rosa, vivida pela encantadora Lola Dueñas, busca na amizade de Ramón (Bardem) uma forma de refúgio para as desgraças de sua vida e também logo acabamos descobrindo que Julia (Belén Rueda, que interpreta a advogada de Ramón) é portadora de uma doença terminal. Isso é o que mais me agradou no roteiro do filme: todos os personagens (todos mesmo!) sofrem com algum tipo de problema, o que tornou a trama mais real. Se os roteiristas houvessem optado explorar apenas o drama da vida de tetraplégico de Ramón, com certeza o filme não seria o mesmo e com absoluta certeza acabaria tornando-se um tipo de drama que têm como objetivo principal o melodrama.
Foi com o comovente roteiro e com as fantásticas atuações que Mar Adentro se tornou um dos melhores filmes estrangeiros que já vi. É um filme que certamente não irei esquecer tão cedo - não apenas pelas dezenas de vezes que irei re-assisti-lo futuramente, mas também por ter uma história tão comovente que me fez ficar com lágrimas nos olhos durante o seguimento de toda a película. Faço questão de listá-lo como um dos filmes mais belos e mais tocantes que já assisti em minha vida!
June 15, 2013
One does not simply miss this film. Javier Bardem plays his role with sufficient dash of melodrama and finesse. Alejandro Amenábar's direction captures the entirety of the storyline. Yes, it brings much focus to the protagonist but it does not left the other characters to the sidelines. Well-written screenplay. Exceptional performances from Lola Dueñas and Tamar Novas. It is disappointing that Bardem wasn't nominated for the Best Actor tilt in the Academy Awards. Winning 14 Goya Awards and the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, The Sea Inside (2004) is not only a heart-wrenching story of life and the lack thereof. More so, it is a story of how life should be lived despite one's unfaltering decision to willfully die (*insert classic arguments on euthanasia here*) Beyond doubt, a must-watch. :)
June 14, 2013
An awesome movie that makes one think about the real meaning of life. Sad but obvious ending.
June 5, 2013
Javier Bardem's performance along with the film's subtle, melodramatic, humorous nature is enough to make this film a must-see.
May 18, 2013
A very sad tale and a beautiful movie, but I wish he had not choose death but at least he got what he wanted even if the dumb government would not allow it.
April 29, 2013
It could have flatlined -- a feel-good foreign-language disability drama more concerned with getting an audience than turning them on with ugly truths. But like Amenabar's excellent horror movie "The Others", "The Sea Inside" doesn't go for cheap shots. Melodrama, yes. Family, too, and indulgences and guilt. It mostly fits. Bardem's performance is what ultimately sells "Sea", but the film is smart in that rather than stop at being an intense acting showcase Bardem and Amenabar not only let us see inside Sampedro, but also trust there's something to take away in how we can never exactly feel him.
April 12, 2013
Shows Bardem's power as an actor. Such a wonderful film. Intriguing story, well told through cinematic techniques, acting, directing-beautiful.
February 15, 2013
100% A true masterpiece.
½ April 6, 2011
This film is extremely touching, It shows that life sometimes doesn't mean anything and that death is the freedom. All of this film Ramon Sampedro wanted to die after being paralysed by a disastrous accident and he never changed his mind. Life can be really harmfull sometimes
March 5, 2013
Javier Bardem get me hooked in this true story as Ramon Sampedro. He's brilliant actor, carrying a film jumped across the sky and soon to recognize in the world cinema. The Sea Inside is masterful film, although tearjerker is not my style, but this time I've made an exception, is just because Bardem. I think he's the requirement of Spanish films to get an Oscar.
March 2, 2013
"Mar Adentro", beautiful movie filmed in north of Spain in Galicia (I can relate). I vote 5+ stars & recommend this film based on a true story.
½ February 28, 2013
Le Scaphandre et le Papillon meets How to Die in Oregon's "Die With Dignity" program, although he does not meet the program and that's what the is movie about.
½ February 18, 2013
Very well-handled movie here and it needed to be- I would have thought it'd be near impossible to tell this story accurately without resorting, at least a little to some kind of preachy overall point. I support euthanasia but that shouldn't make this film and it doesn't- the choice is the viewer's to make and the film allows that to be the case while still portraying Sampedro's life with sublime skill. Very much at the top of my list of biopics that I'd recommend.
½ July 2, 2007
Fantastisk samfunnskildring omkring temaet doed og verdighet. Vakkert filmet.l
January 30, 2013
Poderoso filme de la mano del director Alejandro Amenábar, que no solo dirige, sino que es el guionista y hasta compone la música instrumental. El filme cuenta con la dupla imbatible de Javier Bardem y Belén Rueda, pero a su vez cuenta con los aportes de Lola Dueñas y Clara Segura que se ponen a la altura de los dos estelares, conformando una solida actuación en la cinta. Una película que toca un tema polémico, de forma acertada, ya que lo enfoca en todos los marcos posibles, legal, religioso, social, familiar, dejando abierto para que cada expectador se formule su propia perspectiva, o sea la trama no te impone un punto de vista particular, todos los argumentos son expuestos y la audiencia es libre de pensar lo que desee. El guión es adaptado de la verdadera historia de Ramón Sampedro, que anteriormente había sido pobremente narrada en una película para televisión, pero que afortunadamente, Amenábar tomó y así creo una producción superior, que se ha convertido en una de las más recientes películas que entran a la lista de las cintas relevantes de la filmografía de España. Altamente recomendada.
January 1, 2013
Five stars for the movie of your life. Imagine that Bardem's accident happened to you..what you you do? A movie that brings with its ending new thoughts about that gift we call 'life'.
December 30, 2012
Bardem is spectacular. A represenatation of one peron's fight for euthanasia.