Secret Admirer Reviews

April 26, 2014
Slightly above average and charmingly heartfelt, Secret Admirer tugs at the heart strings as an emotionally inspirational teen romantic comedy that proves true love is closer than you think.
October 6, 2014
My favorite romantic comedy movie!
August 24, 2014
One of my favourite childhood movies
½ December 10, 2008
Descent comedy. Great moral story where u think the woman u desire is who u want ends up being the one u never were thinking of.
½ February 5, 2009
Series of unsigned love letters sets off unintended chain of events when they fall into the wrong hands. Solid results for such an obvious premise. Features contributions from Fred Ward, Kelly Preston and Lori Loughlin and incorporates no less than three songs from the band Autograph.
½ September 27, 2013
Friday, September 27, 2013

(1985) Secret Admirer
TEENAGE COMEDY

Intentioned for the young narcissistic teenage male which the idea is so simplistic, that it only serves only as a backdrop to the failed comedy routines. Long time female teen Toni (Lori Loughlin) craving for a steady relationship with her best friend Michael Ryan (C. Thomas Howell) except that like most of his peers the only girl he want is the most popular teenage girl of the school who is
Deborah (Kelly Preston). And then throughout much of the movie, Toni helps him to achieve this. Even if it meant sacrificing herself as a distraction since Deborah has a boyfriend already who is an all around popular athletic jock.

Simplistic movie for the average teen male who used to have the hot's for a young Kelly Preston since this may have been the first film she had ever did that showed her breasts which there was no internet at the time, and ironically is probably one of the few things I remembered about it. Many of my peers also wanted to see more movies of her assuming Preston be naked in those movies too before people knew she was a scientologist and was married to fellow scientologist John Travolta. If you ask me, Scientology wasn't even a word for a very long time until Bill Clinton came into office since Travolta was doing a movie about him.

2 out of 4 stars
July 5, 2013
Well done comedy - good cast - movie I could watch anytime
July 1, 2013
A missed opportunity. It starts out promising, almost like it's going to be this John Hughes' style classic, and then fifteen minutes in, the adults get a hold of the anonymously composed love letters and everything devolves into unbelievable sitcom. I was so crushed when it became a stupid comedy of errors and abandoned all of the good stuff that made me think I was going to relate to it. The ending is high-energy and I was happy to see how things resolved but if the rest of the film were as good as its bookends, this would have been something special.
½ May 6, 2013
There were a couple reason I wanted to re-watch this film. One, it has Fred Ward in it. Two, it was directed and co-written by future X-Files, Buffy and Angel producer/writer David Greenwalt. Although this 80s teen comedy is is not up to Buffy/Angel standards, it's watchable with a solid 80s cast that includes C. Thomas Howell, Lori Loughlin, Kelly Preston, Dee Wallace, Leigh Taylor-Young, Fred Ward, Casey Siemaszko and, of course, Corey Haim. You also get a synthesizer heavy soundtrack by Jan "Miami Vice" Hammer.
April 18, 2013
A piece of a good memory.
February 10, 2013
You can tell just by seeing the opening credits that this movie is straight out of the 80s. Loved the storyline, humor and cast. Overall, it's a fantastic movie. Very John Hughes-esque.
½ February 5, 2013
A great love story. Hugely underrated!
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
October 11, 2012
A 1980s favorite romantic-comedy. It was sweet and memorable but predictable plot.
October 11, 2012
Cool eighties comedy...
½ September 4, 2012
Been catching up on some cheap movies found in the discount racks. Saw this way back when and it is surprisingly well done. Lost in the high stake teen movies of 1985 like Breakfast Club, it makes you laugh and has a clever script. Greenwalt (director) would go on to be a lead director on the X Files and Buffy the Vamprie Slayer. Preston went on to marry John Travolta - Loughlin to Full House and John Stamos, unsure what happened to C. Thomas Howell.
½ April 19, 2012
Yet another of the mid-80s teen romances, but this one is excellent for some reason or other. God knows. But it has fun, and believable romance, and all sorts. I recommend it to you, the fictitious person who reads these reviews.
½ April 14, 2012
A cute, fun 80s flick that still holds up surprisingly well over 20 years later.
½ February 8, 2012
OMG, what a crazy movie. That 1 letter really made this movie so enjoyable to watch with the chaos amidst the letter confusion. Had so much fun watching this and the lead actor is so freaking cute! Overall, a good movie that I would watch again.
January 13, 2012
Kelly Preston is still hot!!!!