Seedan

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Seedan Reviews

Rohit Ramachandran
March 2, 2011
Let me start by telling you that Seedan is unbearable. It does nothing to stand on its own feet. Absent of ideas, the film is so formulaic in its plotting and clichéd in its dialogue that within the first fifteen you know exactly where the film's heading. Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to spoil the film for you. Here, predictability is at its most abysmal. There are a number of reasons for you to avoid Seedan but I can't think of a reason for you to watch Seedan.

Mano will be leaving abroad to work soon. He visits his grandmother's place and ends up lusting after the housemaid, Mahalakshmi. Coincidentally, she dreamed about their marriage the previous night despite not having met him. Mano's mother is a chronic insomniac attributed to his marital status being single. Assuming that he's still the same momma's boy he always was, she arranges for a girl to meet with him without his consent. This girl isn't just a trial; she's been fixed as his bride. Do I need to go on? You can fill in the rest yourself.

Mano is portrayed by newcomer Krishna and Mahalakshmi is portrayed by Ananya (the black sheep of Naadodigal cast). Dhanush plays an extended cameo as god in the guise of a cook. Vivek who carries a stigma of a retarded clown, lives up to his reputation by playing a fraudulent sage. One joke involves him swallowing a terrorist's cell phone which explodes out of his rear end. If you find this funny, you've not had a taste of good comedy. I can't help but wonder what kept the actors working on the film. A constant reminder of their paychecks, I suppose. This story has been done so many times. You don't have to be a film critic to know that. The one-dimensional characters are treated as good people caught up in a bad situation. The dialogue isn't new either. Even before the actor reaches the middle of the sentence, you know what is being said. Debutant Director Subramaniyam Shiva has started off on the wrong foot.

You've had a hard week and you need some time off in the theatre? Don't worry about it. There're five best picture Oscar nominees in theatre and two excellent Tamil films, Aadukalam and Nadunisi Naaygal. This film will just make it worse. Seedan spirals downward and falls flat on its face.

Rating- 2/10